Character discussion: Godzilla vs the Sea Monster

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Character discussion: Godzilla vs the Sea Monster

Post by edgaguirus »

This is one of my favorite films, but there's only two characters that really stand out. The first is Yoshimura. Here we have another good Takarada performance, this time a bank robber. In most Toho sci fi films, criminals and gangsters don't end well and/or are regarded as the villains. Yoshimura not only is a hero, but becomes the brave and cunning leader of the group. His skills definately prove useful, and you can't help but cheer for the criminal.

The other is Daiyo. I'll admit that I remember her mainly for looking hot in dark skin and a skimpy outfit, but Daiyo is just as able and brave as the guys in this movie. Her faith in Mothra may be lacking, but she has courage and quick thinking, which are just as needed as Yoshimura's lock picking skills. She's a useful allie to the guys.

I give honorable mention to the Red Bamboo captain. He's a typical villain, but he gives a good performance and looks good in an eye patch. What is it with Akihiko Hirata and his playing guys with eye patches?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Character discussion: Godzilla vs the Sea Monster

Post by Rody »

I've seen suggestions that Akihiko Hirata wearing an eye patch again may have been a joke.

Yoshimura, I admit, is actually the first character who comes to mind when I think of Akira Takarada. Maybe it's because Ebirah was always one of my favorites, but his performance here is more memorable than any other Takarada did for the franchise.