Origin of Godzilla 1954

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Origin of Godzilla 1954

Post by LegendZilla »

Godzillian wrote:So this image and story is in a Toho guide book and has just been translated. It's pretty much the origin of Godzilla 1954 that goes from his "birth" to his attack on Tokyo.
Spoiler:
"Godzilla and his kind resided within an underwater cave deep within the South Pacific Ocean.
Their location residing near areas of coral reef. They would only
leave the cave to hunt and feed on fish and whales. However, Godzilla's kind are wiped out by a hydrogen bomb testing, leaving an injured and enraged Godzilla as the sole survivor. Forced from his habitat, Godzilla lurked the ocean depths.
A boat of human passengers cross Godzilla's path, to which is destroyed and sunken by the monster's rage. Following the route the destroyed ship had traveled from, Godzilla would sink more ships and boats before arriving to Odo Island and encountering mankind. Godzilla would later march North until attracted by the lights of a major city. Godzilla would then make landfall in Tokyo."
Got this from Gormaru Island
Larger version of this pic available?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

LegendZilla wrote:Larger version of this pic available?
Just open the image tab. Should make the page bigger unless your computer works differently.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

LegendZilla wrote:Larger version of this pic available?
If you're using Firefox, right click on the picture and select "View Image".

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I've always preferred the 54 origin for Godzilla and wonder why Kazuki Omori felt the need to do the whole Godzillasaur thing for the Heisei series, not to mention the Dorats for Ghidorah.

Shin Godzilla spoilers -
Spoiler:
Godzilla's multistage lifecycle in the 2016 movie doesn't strike me as that odd because it reminds me of Yamane's theory of Godzilla being a transitional species, going from a land-based animal to an aquatic one (possibly explaining why his kind survives today while others are extinct?). But I just realized Shin Godzilla goes in the opposite direction, starting as an unseen fish-like aquatic form, to the crawling amphibian form, to the more upright classic forms.

Shobijin
Yojimbo

Post by Shobijin »

The origin posted in the OP is fine for the first movie. But it should also account for the second Godzilla, the Odo Island legend, and Minilla (if he is indeed related in some way).

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I know off-topic but I really want to say this.
tbeasley wrote:Shin Godzilla spoilers -
Spoiler:
Godzilla's multistage lifecycle in the 2016 movie doesn't strike me as that odd because it reminds me of Yamane's theory of Godzilla being a transitional species, going from a land-based animal to an aquatic one (possibly explaining why his kind survives today while others are extinct?). But I just realized Shin Godzilla goes in the opposite direction, starting as an unseen fish-like aquatic form, to the crawling amphibian form, to the more upright classic forms.
Spoiler:
I heard rumors spreading around this Godzilla incarnation is actually a combination of various organisms fused into one due to some nuclear incident, hints of it comes from whale skeletons being shown at the tip of his tail.

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

Wow this is some really interesting stuff!

Added in 5 minutes 17 seconds:
Showa Gojira wrote:
g2vd wrote:If that isn't artistic interpretation, that means Godzilla originally had smooth skin that's actually kinda cool.
That is pretty cool! It explains why Minya has such smooth skin compared to his Dad. He may have absorbed some Radiation during the weather experiment that went awry on Solgell island, but he wasn't scarred from being hit by an H-bomb like his old man was.

I always figured this was his origin, cool to get confirmed even if it is pretty sad. I always liked the idea of him already being a giant monster that was simply mutated by radiation. Him growing several times his size from a Godzillasaurus always seemed odd to me. Legendary Godzilla's origin is awesome as well and it makes me wonder, did Showa Godzilla have atomic breath before being irradiated or did he only gain the ability afterwards?
I would guess showa gained the ability after being irritated.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Spoiler:
I heard rumors spreading around this Godzilla incarnation is actually a combination of various organisms fused into one due to some nuclear incident, hints of it comes from whale skeletons being shown at the tip of his tail.
Spoiler:
WRONG

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Overall (aside from Shin Godzilla's) this is my favorite origin for Godzilla. The fact he had a family just makes it more heartrending.
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It also makes more sense why he adopted Minya. A lonely Godzilla seeks out the company of a similar creature.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

You know, this has given me some ideas for my films.
You can have flash back scenes of the testings where specific friends and families, I guess if you want to go that deep into it, were killed. Then he gets angry and rises from the ocean to attack boats and cities.
This is the beginning of the end.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

tbeasley wrote:
Spoiler:
I might've got mixed up or second guessed myself because having just watched the original again (RIP Nakajima), Yamane does indeed describe Godzilla as a 'rare intermediate organism, a marine reptile becoming a terrestrial animal.' It might depend on what release you have and the subtitles (I was watching the Criterion version) but that, differences in approach aside, lines it up more with Shin Godzilla.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Its so sad that he had a family. Makes me wonder if the other Godzilla was his brother.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Its so sad that he had a family. Makes me wonder if the other Godzilla was his brother.
Headcanon wise says he is. Notice how Minilla and G54 as well as his colony were smoothed skinned before the nuke incident? Well guess who too is black and scarred. ;)

In other words I think Showa Godzilla is another survivor from the same colony as G54.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:How canonical is this if at all? It's been kinda what we thought for a while but it's cool that there's directly a confirmation of multiple gojis. Of course we've known this as Showa had two Godzillas (three if you count Minya) but it's always nice to get more supplemental backstory.
Took about a year finding this, but the pictures from the op are from a book written by Tomoyuki Tanaka!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Its so sad that he had a family. Makes me wonder if the other Godzilla was his brother.
Headcanon wise says he is. Notice how Minilla and G54 as well as his colony were smoothed skinned before the nuke incident? Well guess who too is black and scarred. ;)

In other words I think Showa Godzilla is another survivor from the same colony as G54.
That makes sense!

If it was written by Tomoyuki Tanaka himself then it must be true.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Headcanon wise says he is. Notice how Minilla and G54 as well as his colony were smoothed skinned before the nuke incident? Well guess who too is black and scarred. ;)

That makes sense!

It's the same book that revealed the Showa Godzilla possesses gills and retroactively declared the fight from King Kong vs. Godzilla a draw. The canon status of the book is debatable I suppose since it was written long after the end of the Showa series, but I do put at least some stock in Tanaka's words.

Personally, I like this explanation of Godzilla 1954's backstory. It's not irreconcilable with the film itself either. In the film (or at least in the English subtitles of the Criterion release), Yamane proposes that Godzilla may have provided for the survival of others of his kind prior to the H-bomb detonation, which "completely destroyed" his natural habitat.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

King of the Monsters wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: That makes sense!

It's the same book that revealed the Showa Godzilla possesses gills and retroactively declared the fight from King Kong vs. Godzilla a draw. The canon status of the book is debatable I suppose since it was written long after the end of the Showa series, but I do put at least some stock in Tanaka's words.

Personally, I like this explanation of Godzilla 1954's backstory. It's not irreconcilable with the film itself either. In the film (or at least in the English subtitles of the Criterion release), Yamane proposes that Godzilla may have provided for the survival of others of his kind prior to the H-bomb detonation, which "completely destroyed" his natural habitat.
Wait are you the same King of the Monsters from Wikizilla and Godzillamovies.com? If so its cool to finally meet you!

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wait are you the same King of the Monsters from Wikizilla and Godzillamovies.com? If so its cool to finally meet you!
Yep, that's me.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.