Character discusion: Godzilla vs Monster Zero

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Character discusion: Godzilla vs Monster Zero

Post by edgaguirus »

This is a great film, and has a few outstanding characters. Fuji and Glenn start us off. They're convincing as partners, working well together and playing off eachother. Unlike other brothers we see in these films, Fuji is quite protective of Haruno. And Glenn delivers a few good lines, even though some make him sound like he belongs in a gangster movie.

Tetsuo seems like an insecure geek, but he has a bit of a hero in him. While he cowers before Fuji, Tetsuo isn't afraid to follow Namikawa and do a little snooping. He's an unlikely hero, which makes him likeable in my opinion. Tetsuo also shows off the talents of Akira Kubo. He has the range to play Tetsuo to the heroic captain in DAM.

We come to Namikawa next. She's a very sympathetic character. When it becomes clear this woman isn't human, she might have been turned into a villian. Instead, she continues to play a spy who's gone beyond her mission and finds there's more to life than logic. Her end is tragic, but she saves the day.

Last, but not least, is the Controller. Where Namikawa shows emotion, the Controller is cold and straightforward. He is the epitome of logic, fact, and cunning. He puts on a convincing act for Fuji and Glenn, but after his true intentions are revealed, he remains just as cool and logical. His achilles heel is his arrogance. He's so convinced humanity is helpless that he chooses suicide over defeat. The Controller is one of my favorite Toho villians.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Character discusion: Godzilla vs Monster Zero

Post by Ivo-goji »

The strongest cast in the Showa series after the original film, in my opinion. All the characters fit together organically and serve a purpose in the overall scheme of things. Even when I was kid, Monster Zero's characters stood out to me.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Character discusion: Godzilla vs Monster Zero

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Definitely some of the best drawn characters in the franchise as a whole. When people try to excuse the weak characters in G14 by saying Godzilla movies have never had interesting or charismatic characters this movie should immediately be used to debunk that notion.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983