Character discussion: Mothra vs Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Character discussion: Mothra vs Godzilla

Post by edgaguirus »

Since people don't seem to like the individual threads, I'll do this by movie. In this entry, a favorite of mine, we have some good, strong characters, and finally some villians to hate.

Sakai is the lead here, and he is well played by Takarada. Sakai doesn't seem like a nice guy, but he does show a soft side underneath. This softer side gradually becomes more prevalent as the film goes, mainly seen through his working relationship with Junko. He's hard on her, but has respect for her as well.

Junko gives us a strong female lead. She's not the best photographer, but she does have a sense of incite. She's persuavise, and her pleas to the Infant Island natives may be what helped convince them.

The Shobijin make their first appearence in a Godzilla film, and they do not disappoint. They are both sympathetic and wise, and their voices are golden.

Now we come to the villians. Kumayama is greedy, arrogant, and a sleaze, but he's also a puppet. Torahata is the puppeteer. This man takes Kumayama's greed and arrogance and turns it up a notch. Torahata has no concern for anyone, not even his own partner. Then Tarahata goes as far to commit murder. It's only fitting that he dies because of his greed.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Character discussion: Mothra vs Godzilla

Post by Ivo-goji »

Kumayama and Torahata are legendary. The film would not be the same without them. They aren't really villains (Carl Nelson from Mothra is a villain) as much as they are short sighted because of their greed. I think it was clever that the role in this movie that Mothra and King Kong vs Godzilladevoted to one character is shared between two personalities. Kumayama on his own would have been too sympathetic to be killed off in Godzilla's rampage- the audience would just feel sorry for him. But Torahata's more serious character and efforts to cheat his partner balances things out, makes their deaths more karmic.

The other humans in MvsG are very likable. Junko and Sakai's introduction is one of my favorite scenes. It's a good establishing character moment.

What I always wondered about is why Gen. Shinzo didn't return for this movie, considering it continued the tradition of escalating military counterattack operations from the previous film. In my head I always imagined Shinzo lamenting all his years of failed anti-kaiju strategies.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

The human characters in this film are some of my favorite in the entire franchise. Not much depth to them. Nevertheless, they manage to keep your attention and are amusing to watch. One of the strengths of an ensemble cast.

Individual threads were a bit much. What about discussing matters like this in the main threads for each film or just making a general character discussion thread where users can comment on all characters?

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

kamilleblu wrote:or just making a general character discussion thread where users can comment on all characters?
Ehh, that would be really confusing and quickly lead to failure, threads like this where we discuss all the Human characters in one movie is how it should be done.
Godzilla