Character discussion: Mr. Tako

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Character discussion: Mr. Tako

Post by edgaguirus »

Tako is an amusing character, from his mannerisms to his appearance. He really sells the comic element of this film, and he shares a trait with Batman's villian Two Face. The coin flipping doesn't add much dimension to his character, but the quirk does make him more interesting.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Character discussion: Mr. Tako

Post by Ivo-goji »

Best human character in a daikaiju film. Rivaled only by the cast of King Kong Escapes.

"That Kong won't make a monkey out of us!"
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Always reminded me of Max O'Hara (Robert Armstrong) from MIGHTY JOE YOUNG:

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Tako is amazing, even in Universal's dubbed version -- there's just no changing what he is, how animated the performance is, and what he promises for the film's tone.

I love King Kong vs. Godzilla, and Tako's character is an enormous part of the charm. Unlike the similar character of Kumayama in Mothra vs. Godzilla, Tako is relatively likable, fitting the lighter tone of his film.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Kumayama isn't supposed to be likeable though. He's very clearly the scummy antagonist alongside Torahata.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

GalacticPetey wrote:Kumayama isn't supposed to be likeable though. He's very clearly the scummy antagonist alongside Torahata.
Yes. I was just pointing out the difference between the two, even though Tako provides a very similar antagonist-businessman role.

Changing the role into an unsympathetic villain makes sense for Mothra vs. Godzilla's more somber tone.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

I think these 'character discussion' threads are a bad idea, and that the character who may be the subject of such a thread should be discussed in the thread of their respective movie.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!