Hong Kong Dubscussion #1: Godzilla vs. Gigan

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Tamura
EDF Instructor

Hong Kong Dubscussion #1: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Post by Tamura »

I thought it'd be a fun idea to start a series of talkbacks on not just the divisive subject that is dubbing, but the even more divisive subject that is the Hong Kong-made international dubs. I, for one, find them usually very entertaining.

When Toho put international dubs up for sale in their catalogs they never stated where the dubs were recorded, and a number of them are lost now. Even if we did somehow verify what the first HK-dubbed Toho film was, it's possible nobody on this board has heard it or ever will. So instead of going in order, I wanted to start with one of my favorites.

This dub basically embodies the spirit of HK dubbing during this era, which, to me, can be summed up as entertainment despite being hastily made that contradictorily features golden voices. This was made during a time when dubbers in Hong Kong mostly worked in radio for their day jobs, which explains why they all sound like announcers and have such memorable, distinct voices. Ted Thomas is really creepy and good as the Secretary. They could have left Godzilla and Angilas talking to each other through speech bubbles, but they just dubbed them instead. I just love that. The hastiness reveals itself in inconsistencies such as accidentally giving the general two or three different voices, and in that Space Hunter Nebula M has like two alternate names, but none of it detracts from the entertainment, in my opinion. Some people say the guy who voices Gengo doesn't really fit him, but I'm so used to the dub that it doesn't bother me.

UltramanGoji

Re: Hong Kong Dubscussion #1: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't listen to the dub tracks on my DVDs often, is this the one included on the Sony disc?

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Yep, there was only one English dub of Gigan.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Casablanca is usually regarded as the most quotable movie of all time but I think the English version of Godzilla vs. Gigan is a close second.

"Oh, he must'a thought it was a gun!"
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

The Hong Kong dubs are so easily quotable, they're just so fun to watch!
"Oh, cigarettes?
They're for you"

"They're not human beings, they're aliens who've landed from some other planet. We've got to stop them!
So what do you want me to do about it?"

And of course who could forget this? I'm pretty sure I have this whole thing memorized! :lol:
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Tamura wrote:
I thought it'd be a fun idea to start a series of talkbacks on not just the divisive subject that is dubbing, but the even more divisive subject that is the Hong Kong-made international dubs. I, for one, find them usually very entertaining.

When Toho put international dubs up for sale in their catalogs they never stated where the dubs were recorded, and a number of them are lost now. Even if we did somehow verify what the first HK-dubbed Toho film was, it's possible nobody on this board has heard it or ever will. So instead of going in order, I wanted to start with one of my favorites.

This dub basically embodies the spirit of HK dubbing during this era, which, to me, can be summed up as entertainment despite being hastily made that contradictorily features golden voices. This was made during a time when dubbers in Hong Kong mostly worked in radio for their day jobs, which explains why they all sound like announcers and have such memorable, distinct voices. Ted Thomas is really creepy and good as the Secretary. They could have left Godzilla and Angilas talking to each other through speech bubbles, but they just dubbed them instead. I just love that. The hastiness reveals itself in inconsistencies such as accidentally giving the general two or three different voices, and in that Space Hunter Nebula M has like two alternate names, but none of it detracts from the entertainment, in my opinion. Some people say the guy who voices Gengo doesn't really fit him, but I'm so used to the dub that it doesn't bother me.
I listened to the interview with Ted Thomas on the special features that should have been included with Godzilla vs. Megalon and I came away with a whole new opinion of the HK dubbing. I had always assumed that the HK guys were people they grabbed off the streetThe interview is great, but I would of course never, ever advise anybody to track it down online, no matter if they bought GvM on both DVD and Blu-ray.

Toho probably eliminated the speech bubbles from the international version to avoid the cost of having to replace them in the local language. It takes less time to dub the monsters than it would take a titler to make up new bubbles on a film print.

I watched Matango (which predates GvG by nine years) yesterday from the Media Blasters DVD and tried the dubbed version. I was shocked how instantly recognizable the skipper's voice was...

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Great?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

Max, if you don't like a topic don't post in it. Easy as that.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Great?
You're a hard bitch.