Character Discussion:Tsukioka and Kobayashi

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Character Discussion:Tsukioka and Kobayashi

Post by edgaguirus »

I'd normally give each person their own topic, but I feel these guys are flat characters. From Godzilla Raids Again, these pilots are the story's center, but aren't that memorable. Kobayashi provides a comic element, especially in the dub, while Tsukioka plays a hero in waiting.

I do give these guys points for their being common working men. Most Godzilla films show us the point of view of scientist, press, and military people. These two are ordinary men thrust into a frightening situation, and must then deal with the devastation left behind.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Re: Character Discussion:Tsukioka and Kobayashi

Post by Rodan »

Kobayashi's at least fairly memorable, though that may be due to his death (spoilers for a sixty-year-old film).

Tsukioka is really Ogata 2.0. Like you, I enjoy that they're a break from the kinds of occupations that would later dominate the series' casts, and they carry the film well enough, but that's about it.