Godzilla flying or no?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Flying, running, or something else

A. Flying
89%
B. Running
4%
C. Different idea
4%
D. Scrap scene and have Hedorah die right there from the electrodes
4%

Total votes: 28

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Godzilla flying or no?

Post by darthzilla99 »

So when they were filming Godzilla vs. Smog Monster, they come to the scene of Godzilla flying and they said in interviews that it was a choice between Godzilla running after flying Hedorah or use flight. Since this is one of the most controversial scenes in the series, I wanted to hear discussion on what everyone wanted instead.

Me? Mabey Godzilla runs while charging atomic breath and then times it just right to use his breath as a boost jump if you will to hit Hedorah just at the right time. Still has tension, still ridiculous, but mabey an alright half way point.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla flying or no?

Post by Space Hunter M »

Godzilla fucking flies and if you don't think that's awesome you have severe clinical depression.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gotta agree with Space Hunter. It's so fucking out-of-nowhere that I cannot imagine it any other way.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I agree with the other two. Godzilla's flight is ridiculous, but it's also fun and amusing. It's the best scene in the movie.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I couldn't imagine it any other way, it was one of those things that made this film stand out and stick with you.
Not that I'd want to see it happen again, but for its time, it was the greatest thing ever :lol:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Originally he was gonna run. I know Showa is fast but not THAT fast! I can believe him flying that fast more than I can believe him running at the same speeds. I mean Hedorah was booking it to save his own life. No way Godzilla is catching him on foot.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Godzilla can fly if he wants to. He can leave his friends behind. 'Cause his friends don't fly and if they don't fly, well, they're no friends of mine.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

And think about what may have happened without the flight scene. This was the first time Godzilla pulled an unexpected trick out of his hat, and it began a tradition that would follow in future films. We may not have had that tail slide or Magneto impression without that flight.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

If the film was more on the serious tonality of that the early Showa films had, I'd say scrap that scene or have another way to retrieve Hedorah (well placed powerful atomic breath, military intervention, etc). But with as goofy as the film itself is, the flying helps it.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

PRIMEVAL wrote:If the film was more on the serious tonality of that the early Showa films had, I'd say scrap that scene or have another way to retrieve Hedorah (well placed powerful atomic breath, military intervention, etc). But with as goofy as the film itself is, the flying helps it.
Hedorah was immune to atomic breath :P

MechaChris
Young Farmer

Post by MechaChris »

I remember my first viewing of this film was cut short and not realising this scene was here for years. More than happy to see the scene stay but probably not in a hurry to see Godzilla fly again. :)
Artwork and various ramblings at http://chrisofedf.deviantart.com

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

It would be even more ridiculous if he ran fast enough to catch the flying hedorah :lol:

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

He summons Baragon and rides him like a jumping horse.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Living Corpse wrote:Originally he was gonna run. I know Showa is fast but not THAT fast! I can believe him flying that fast more than I can believe him running at the same speeds. I mean Hedorah was booking it to save his own life. No way Godzilla is catching him on foot.
I recall Godzilla running pretty fast in an episode of Zone Fighter.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

Rodan wrote:Godzilla can fly if he wants to. He can leave his friends behind. 'Cause his friends don't fly and if they don't fly, well, they're no friends of mine.
^ This! :lol:

I think it's over the top, silly, and ridiculous but I really can't say I would remove it if I could. One of the things I love about the Godzilla series is we get goofball moments like this and we get serious grim moments like something out of Gojira. Godzilla can be serious and silly and that is a good thing in my book. :g2k:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

This was one of my first Godzilla movies at 4 so the moment is still kind of heroic and cool to me no matter how stupid it is. I would like to see a version where Godzilla does a dramatic run to catch up with Hedorah. I'm okay with it since I don't think we could ever quite get goofy 70s Godzilla again, but I mean I don't think we need to see him fly again.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

The only decent alternative I can think of is that the military manages to shoot Hedorah down, and Godzilla drags it's body back to the electrodes

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

It amazes me people still think flying is the most insane thing, I can see it making some sense, like a space shuttle suing thrust from a rocket to take off, or Gamera using thrust from his socket fires. Now Godzilla turning into a magnet, just WTF? Oh yeah I remember they said they wanted to bring back the flying for Final War but deiced against it because it was "too goofy". This is the people of Final Wars saying this.
Rodan wrote:Godzilla can fly if he wants to. He can leave his friends behind. 'Cause his friends don't fly and if they don't fly, well, they're no friends of mine.

edgaguirus wrote:And think about what may have happened without the flight scene. This was the first time Godzilla pulled an unexpected trick out of his hat, and it began a tradition that would follow in future films. We may not have had that tail slide or Magneto impression without that flight.
Or the Nuclear Pulse. It's never even mentioned by the characters or acknowledged, Godzilla just does it out of no where in Godzilla vs Biollante and Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.
kamilleblu wrote: I recall Godzilla running pretty fast in an episode of Zone Fighter.
Hence why I said, I know he can run fast but not that fast. Hedorah can fly at Mach 1, which you can bet your ass he was when he was running for his life.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

One of those details that makes Godzilla vs Hedorah like a Gamera film.

- Godzilla is openly heroic and even assisted by the military
- two monsters fighting, but no more than two. Gamera films are always like that, but NEVER Godzilla movies, not since GRA.
- an annoying kid with too much screen time.
- Godzilla getting maimed much more severely than usual, including losing an eye, gore typical of Gamera's fights.
- and of course Godzilla flying around like Gamera

The similarity to Gamera is hard to ignore, especially the flying part.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla's flight is more believable than say.....the military shooting missiles at Hedorah. It doesn't work, and so Godzilla grabbs two missiles, sticks them under his arms, and then squeezes them, causing them to ignite. The missiles launch Godzilla after Hedorah.