Character discussion:Dr. Serizawa

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Character discussion:Dr. Serizawa

Post by edgaguirus »

We have topics for the monsters, but what about the human characters that move along the story and make us think?

This first one is for the tragic and brilliant scientist Dr. Serizawa. Discuss.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Character discussion:Dr. Serizawa

Post by Space Hunter M »

he wears an eyepatch

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Serizawa is a voice that's missing from the real-world historical/philosophical conflict the film maps onto its characters, though one likely felt by many average citizens and artists -- the idea that arms escalation and potentially damaging science should be stopped. Even more interesting, he himself is a scientist, and his invention has legitimate humanitarian usage both as a weapon against Godzilla (a product of the very kinds of arms race he hopes to avoid, but a present reality nonetheless) and as a science itself.

Still, as a character and scientist able to act on this kind of philosophy, he's a myth -- certainly a viewpoint not present on the world stage the film hopes to capture. It's appropriate he dies by its end.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

What do you guys think of the theory that Hagiwara's question about a German scientist was supposed to hint that he was involved in some postwar Axis conspiracy?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:What do you guys think of the theory that Hagiwara's question about a German scientist was supposed to hint that he was involved in some postwar Axis conspiracy?
I think Hagiwara was just bluffing to get some kind of rise out of him, but Serizawa's prompt shutdown is a bit suspicious.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

A man who wants to use science to help people, he accidentally stumbles on something destructive. He wants to find a more productive way of using it outside of weapons, cause honestly the dude has fought in WW2, it's why he lost his eye. He knows what war is like first hand and wants no part of it. It's possible he did some things he was ashamed of and wanted his work to be used for helping, not harming others.

StAiRcAsE KiTtY
Terminated
Terminated

Post by StAiRcAsE KiTtY »

I like the Ken Watanabe version of the character better. It gives the character more depth even though he doesn't have a somber death. The original just didn't have much depth besides a lovesick, semi-mad scientist that created a weapon of mass destruction because reasons.
You want a battle...
Here's a war!

RIP, Judas. An amazing idea, gone before it was created.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Don't have time to type out a full response but I'm gonna have to disagree strongly.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

Staircase Kitty wrote:I like the Ken Watanabe version of the character better. It gives the character more depth even though he doesn't have a somber death. The original just didn't have much depth besides a lovesick, semi-mad scientist that created a weapon of mass destruction because reasons.
I feel like you're not watching the same films I did. Serizawa is probably the best character from Gojira and while I loved Watanabe in Godzilla, his character is a pale shadow of the 54 one.

DesuGojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by DesuGojiFan »

Staircase Kitty wrote:The original just didn't have much depth besides a lovesick, semi-mad scientist that created a weapon of mass destruction because reasons.
get out

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Staircase Kitty wrote:I like the Ken Watanabe version of the character better. It gives the character more depth even though he doesn't have a somber death. The original just didn't have much depth besides a lovesick, semi-mad scientist that created a weapon of mass destruction because reasons.

Please do us a favor, and get out if you're going to spout such nonsense.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

..What..What...What.......What.......What......................whathhahahahehjsjejejdhdhrjdhrnfnd?

I'm sorry what? So youn ca read all the emotions of emotion about everything that Battra is involved in, but yet somehow you can't get anything about Serizawa?...What version are you watching?
Godzilla

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

I'm going out on a limb and going to assume you're one of those people that can't watch old movies.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Ken Watanabe, a great actor, didn't make the same kind of impression the original did. Ken's Serizawa was rather dry and one toned. The original showed emotion and internal conflict, and made a point about men and the weapons we create.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Guys guys guys.

Obvious flamebait is obvious.

Don't bite, it makes it worse.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

What in the world are you smoking?
Ivo-goji wrote:Guys guys guys.

Obvious flamebait is obvious.

But... But... But... He's talking bad about a masterpiece. A masterpiece we all love. :(
This is the beginning of the end.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

BARAGONZILLA wrote: Obvious flamebait is obvious.

But... But... But... He's talking bad about a masterpiece. A masterpiece we all love. :(
That's why it's obvious flamebait. It's the same thing AH became infamous for: Sprout unpopular opinions to get a rise out of people, then watch and act innocent as those people get warned for their aggression. ;)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.