Monster Discussion #16: Minilla

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
gigan72
Keizer

Monster Discussion #16: Minilla

Post by gigan72 »

Discussion thread for the son of Godzilla, Minya! Surprisingly, nobody noticed we didn't have a thread for this guy. Or, like some other ones, it was deleted.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Monster Discussion #16: Minilla

Post by Space Hunter M »

He's an asshole.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

Anyone have a gif of Minya creepily darting his eyes back and forth in Godzilla's Revenge?

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Dannybeane wrote:Anyone have a gif of Minya creepily darting his eyes back and forth in Godzilla's Revenge?
Found this, which seems to be an equivalent:

Anyway, I have no idea what drugs the staff of SoG was smoking when they thought the design we got should be what the son of Godzilla looks like...
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They were probably going for cute. If you look at human babies, they tend to have large eyes and chubby fingers. Minya seems to have been designed along the same lines. As for the monster itself, I like the character in SOG. Minya was amusing. However, AMA's portrayal isn't that good.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

It looks cuter than this abomination.

I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

He gets a lot of hate but I've always liked and had a soft spot for him

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

He might be weird and is one of the monsters that gets the most flack in the franchise but he's endearing in his own right.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

When watching SOG, it's hard not to see the human quality of his play and antics. He even throws a tantrum, and I've seen kids throw some major ones. Overall, Minya is the most human of all the kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

It does make sense to be like a human if you stop and think about it. One of the most 'human-esque' kaiju behaved of them in a way, hehe.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

GalacticPetey wrote:It looks cuter than this abomination.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/18 ... /Milla.jpg
Scary, I actually like that one more than the headliner at the freakshow in AMA. At least Millennium Minilla resorted to goofy grunting and shit. No Barney voice, and for the better.

That said, I do like his character in Son of Godzilla. He's creepy looking, but his silly and playful nature is fun to watch play out on screen. The jumping over Godzilla's tail scene comes to mind.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Wellll....

As many of you may know, I've been translating Monster King Godzilla, a relatively obscure Japanese manga featuring Godzilla fighting monsters. What's interesting is that this manga came out around the time of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, yet it features many Showa monsters, or even "sequels", such as Mecha-Godzilla 3. Characters seem to be aware of Showa Era monsters as well.

In the most recent chapter, this happens:

It's rather strange to take a still from a film, and use it in a manga. It could just be a lazy way to not have to re-draw that scene, but it's interesting. Obviously, this Godzilla in the continuity is much stronger than the Showa Godzilla (it does some insane things) and physically looks a lot different. Of course there's reasons for that, it trying to look like the Heisei Godzilla, but there's a strong hint, that this might be an adult Minya.

I guess Minya did learn to fight his own battles.

Of course friendly reminder that this shouldn't impact your thoughts on the SoG film, I just thought it was funny.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Oh my god, I forgot all about the 'Minya is an asshole' meme. :lol:

Also, it's really sad that this poor asshole's dedicated thread only has twelve posts. Like, come on. I used to be in the camp that disliked him, and kind of preferred to ignore him outside of the context of Godzilla's Revenge, so I get it... but it's still sad. Doesn't Maguma's thread have several pages?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I love Son of Godzilla and I love Minya. I don't really count Revenge because it's a dream and is arguably not even a part of the same universe. Revenge is its own unique thing that has no real bearing on Minya as a character.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I love Son of Godzilla and I love Minya. I don't really count Revenge because it's a dream and is arguably not even a part of the same universe. Revenge is its own unique thing that has no real bearing on Minya as a character.
You know, as much as I’m a defender of SoG, it never really clicked to me that the one in Revenge is a completely different character than the one in SoG. Hmm
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I liked him in Son of Godzilla. His bond with Godzilla is the heart of the film, and he fits the more family friendly vibe the film was going for.

I just wish they'd designed him better. Why not have the son of Godzilla look like Godzilla? That's where the Heisei series got it right (in 2 of the 3 films anyway).
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

They wanted him to resemble a human baby because they thought it would make it easier to empathize with him.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MekaGojira3k
Samurai

Post by MekaGojira3k »

I discarded Minya when I first saw Baby/Little/Junior because I thought they were much better examples of the concept. Even the FInal Wars minya looks better (though that may have to do with him actually having a snout like Godzilla). Minya is fine in the film and fulfills his purpose, but just like the 67-Goji suit it's just really freakin' ugly to look at.