Monster Discussion #11: Giant Octopus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #11: Giant Octopus

Post by edgaguirus »

Frank isn't really made for water, but I suppose it could be done. As for defeating Oodako, I'll have to think about it first.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

edgaguirus wrote:Frank isn't really made for water, but I suppose it could be done. As for defeating Oodako, I'll have to think about it first.
Had most of the battle taken place on land, it would not have been a big deal. Also how's this for an idea as to how Frank could kill Oodako : He stick a pair of burning sticks up underneath his tentacles, burning his weak point and incapacitating him. Afterwards he beats him to death with rock-bashing and stomping.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That works for land, but now for a water victory. In Tokyo Bay, the two monsters fight. Frank is wrapped in tentacles, but picks up a ship and uses it to club Oodako. The stunned octopus releases Frank. Frank then stabs the angled front of the ship into Oodako's head. Oodako's tentacles squeeze on the ship for a moment, and then the octopus and ship sink to the bottom.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

While we're on topic, would you mind if I brought this video up? It's hilarious, so please give it a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkSs7JBWK5E&t=15s
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote:You know a thought just came to my mind.Can any of you imagine what it would've been like had Frankenstein Vs Baragon had not included Baragon at all and instead had just included Frankenstein fighting this guy all along? I actually think the movie just might have been better to be honest.

If this were the case, how do you think Frankenstein would've ended up killing him?
What makes you believe Oodako would have been a better choice? Baragon really shines in his own movie (I always felt the movie really was shared by both monsters, especially since it's the debut of both). The scene with Baragon attacking the farmhouse and small village is really freightening, and Baragon is really convincing as a villain given he's more interesting and varied than a lot of other basic kaiju like Anguirus or Varan.

Oodako is cool, but way too random. He's kind of the weirdest kaiju for ever getting any attention, despite being in three different films.

Also, unrelated but I just realized Oodako actually is responsible for creating Gaira, ironically the force that defeats him. Oodako drags Frankenstien's body out to sea and presumably eats him. However, some of those cells regrow and get larger, mutating into what winds up being Gaira.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Re: Monster Discussion #11: Giant Octupus

Post by Kaeyas »

Space Hunter M wrote:The Giant Octopus was originally going to fight Godzilla in Godzilla's Revenge in Ebirah's place apparently.
Which is also strange considering that scene would have never existed had they gone with the original plan having Kong instead of Godzilla for that movie. If I'm remembering correctly anyway. Know I've read or heard that somewhere. Godzilla VS. The Sea Monster was supposed to be Kong VS. The Sea Monster if I'm not mistaken. Would also not surprise me if Ebirah would have been replaced by the Octo...would make since after facing Kong once already and being driven off, Octo wants revenge! Lol just speculation really but the term "Sea Monster" could be anything. I've never seen the original script though so who knows. Maybe it was always supposed to be a giant prawn lol.
Dedicated To Darkness..

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Question: if Legendary wanted to bring this kaiju back, would they have to pay Toho for the rights? Toho might own the rights to this kaiju specifically, but no-one owns the rights to the concept of a giant octopus. Couldn't Legendary just go ahead and have 'a' giant octopus, and effectively it's the same exact thing?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Basically, Kong: Skull Island already did.

Minor movie spoiler:
Spoiler:
I figured that was a homage; having Kong's first major kaiju fight be against a giant squid.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I still find the cut ending to Frankenstein involving the octopus to be so strange. It makes no thematic sense for this random octopus to show up and kill the Frankenstein monster. It's just very bad storytelling.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

I read that ending was filmed specifically because some of the film's American backers were impressed by the Giant Octopus scene from King Kong vs. Godzilla and wanted the creature to be featured in the film. Supposedly that ending was only meant to be featured in the American cut, but Saperstein didn't like it and the US version went with the original ending. A print with the Giant Octopus ending was then accidentally aired on TV in Japan at one point. I think all of this is mentioned in a Famous Monsters of Filmland article.

So if all that is true, it was never really meant to make sense. It was just a way to shoehorn the Giant Octopus into the film.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I like Oodako. He's a nice minor kaiju.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I think that he should've been included in the IDW Godzilla story line if it had continued on. He, Frankenstein, Minilla, Ganimes and Gabara were the only kaiju that were left that could've been included. Then almost everyone would've been there.

A kaiju lover's dream come true! Well, except for King Kong and Mechani-kong not being included, but then one can't have everything.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Maybe Oodako could make a cameo in the 2020 KK vs G.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ I wouldn't expect one. I think the Mire Squid was probably supposed to be Legendary's Oodako homage. Kong's first kaiju opponent in the Monsterverse, just as Oodako was in Showa.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

JAGzilla wrote:^ I wouldn't expect one. I think the Mire Squid was probably supposed to be Legendary's Oodako homage. Kong's first kaiju opponent in the Monsterverse, just as Oodako was in Showa.
Kong’s first opponent was the giant lizard that he buried with the avalanche of rocks.
Facts don't care about your feelings

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Honestly it is fine for its role, but I never liked the fact that it so easily defeated Fraknenstein. Made both he and Baragon come off as a pair of chumps personally.
Last edited by godjacob on Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

godjacob wrote:Honestly it is fine for its role, but I never liked the fact that it so easily defeated Fraknenstein. Made both he and Baragon come off as a pair of chumps personally.
Um... the octopus kills Frankenstein.

And Baragon put up a pretty good fight. Frank's superior agility and intellect is what really won the battle.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
godjacob wrote:Honestly it is fine for its role, but I never liked the fact that it so easily defeated Fraknenstein. Made both he and Baragon come off as a pair of chumps personally.

And Baragon put up a pretty good fight. Frank's superior agility and intellect is what really won the battle.
That's what I said. I was annoyed the Octopus won so easily against Frankenstein. My wording was probably not the best but that was what I meant.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

godjacob wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

That's what I said. I was annoyed the Octopus won so easily against Frankenstein. My wording was probably not the best but that was what I meant.
Oh, my bad. I misread.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm fond of Oodako, though we'll probably never see it again. Maybe if Oodako made a visit to San Francisco, he'd get some press. It could even do a photo shoot on the Golden Gate Bridge.