Who Would've Won? Godzilla or Rodan?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Who Would've Won? Godzilla or Rodan?

Post by Godzillian »

So for most of Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster Godzilla and Rodan are battling it out. Their battle is only stopped once Mothra arrives and convinces them to unite to stop Ghidorah. Who do you think would've won if the battle was not interrupted? It seemed to be pretty evenly matched for the most part but I'm partial to Godzilla. What do you guys think?

UltramanGoji

Re: Who Would've Won? Godzilla or Rodan?

Post by UltramanGoji »

In true 60's Showa film style, both fall off a cliff and it's a presumed tie.

In all seriousness, probably Godzilla even though his atomic breath seemed to have little-to-no effect on Rodan.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

Rodan. He was basically manhandling Godzilla for most of the fight. Plus he railroaded Ghidrah out of the sky like it was nothing.

Dr Mario
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dr Mario »

While I am rather new to the Godzilla series, from what I have see I believe that Rodan would be able to beat 60s Godzilla, if we were talking about 70s Goji then I think he would take it but back int he sixties I think Rodan would take the win seeing that he was easily handing his own against Godzilla with the Atomic ray doing nothing and like Danny said he took Ghidorah down like he was nothing.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Rodan.

Full stop.

Reverse-Flash
Yojimbo

Post by Reverse-Flash »

I think Rodan probably would've won. If I recall correctly, wasn't Rodan in control for most of the fight? That and I doubt he'd handle Rodan ramming into him as well as Ghidrah did. Dunno if Rodan could kill him, but I think he could drive him off.
#Reverse-Flash for Mod

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Yeah killing probably would not have happened, but hey if Kong and Mothra babies can beat him when they are not his equals, I imagine Rodan who was his equal at the time could beat him. I haven't seen the film in a while but the only good hit Godzilla got in from my memory was a suplex and three point blank atomic breaths, the former merely stunned him and the latter he took damage but shook it off while in mid-flight.

Kumonga almost beat him.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

I feel like both of them COULD POTENTIALLY kill each other in the long run if the fight was serious AND with no interruptions. Since both are equals, they had the power, ability, knowledge (in a way) and will to do so from what we could see in their depictions on the movies.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Well, this was 60's Godzilla, you know before he got crazy good. Like others pointed out, Rodan seemed to be in control for most of the fight. Not that means a victory, Godzilla has snatched victory from jaws of defeat but I feel like had their fight not been interrupted, Rodan would have won in the long run. He'd be exhausted like Hell, but he'd be the winner. And this was the early Showa films, that weird time when Godzilla actually loses at the end of the earlier films.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Is not Godzilla could turn the tables around alike Rodan. Hence it'd have end on a rather close and brutal way.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

At this point Rodan was Godzilla's parallel, Toho didn't seem to really favor either one until films like Ebirah or SOG came out. I'd say Rodan simply cause he can easily get away. Plus he's one of the few monsters that does not seem to give a shit about Godzilla's beam. Ironically every time I watch that film I feel like Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster is more about Godzilla fighting Rodan than anything to do with Ghidorah.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

thinking like how the Showa series went, both monsters would have fought until they were lured into a volcano or they both fell in the ocean.
The movie addresses that both Rodan and Godzilla fightining was the equivalent of two giant monster toddlers roughhousing, and not that important, and neither had the ability to kill eachother, so the fight just would have went on until it ended in a draw.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Or both got tired. I can kind of see that.