Talkback: Rodan (1956)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Talkback: Rodan (1956)

Post by Pkmatrix »

I love this movie! Easily one of the greats. :D
eabaker wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:Yeah, the 1956 suit was the best, hands down, but I have a special place for the 64 suit in my heart as well. Sure, it looks goofy, but it just has a charm to me that I like :lol:
If I had to rank the Rodan's, it'd be
1964-1968
I think I'd rank them:
1964-1968
For me I'd rank them:

1964 - 1968

I...really don't like the '60s Rodan suit. At all. >_> I love GTTHM, but every time I watch it I just can't help but shake my head at Rodan. :lol:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I agree, he does look really goofy, but I enjoy his role in GTTHM so much that I overlook it
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Pkmatrix wrote:I love this movie! Easily one of the greats. :D
eabaker wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:Yeah, the 1956 suit was the best, hands down, but I have a special place for the 64 suit in my heart as well. Sure, it looks goofy, but it just has a charm to me that I like :lol:
If I had to rank the Rodan's, it'd be
1964-1968
I think I'd rank them:
1964-1968
For me I'd rank them:

1964 - 1968

I...really don't like the '60s Rodan suit. At all. >_> I love GTTHM, but every time I watch it I just can't help but shake my head at Rodan. :lol:
When it comes to the '04 vs. the '60s suits, this might be a case of me letting my opinions of the movies prejudice me about the suits.

Maybe.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Totally agreed with eabaker on the suits. Rodan has never looked better than in his first film, but the 1993 version is a really respectable stylized update. There is something a little offputtingly goofy about the '60s suits, but I find that less distracting than the fact the 2004 version's overly human appearance.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I find the 93 version looks more jarring to me, I guess I don't like way it moves :shrug:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I find the 93 version looks more jarring to me, I guess I don't like way it moves :shrug:
I like the look of it stationary a lot better than in motion. It made for a great Bandai toy. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I find the 93 version looks more jarring to me, I guess I don't like way it moves :shrug:
It reminds me of a bat prop they used to use for the old vampire films. Just stiff flappy wings.

gimmemoregojira
Ronin

Post by gimmemoregojira »

Is there a Japanese version of Rodan available? Without the U.S. edits and all?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

gimmemoregojira wrote:Is there a Japanese version of Rodan available? Without the U.S. edits and all?
The Classic media dvd has both versions to choose and watch from. It also comes with War of the gargantuas. https://www.amazon.com/Rodan-War-Gargan ... =rodan+dvd
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

gimmemoregojira wrote:Is there a Japanese version of Rodan available? Without the U.S. edits and all?
And here is a review of the DVD Set that was just posted above if you have any questions about it.
http://www.tohokingdom.com/dvd/rodan-wotg_cm.html
Godzilla

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

darthzilla99 wrote:
The Classic media dvd has both versions to choose and watch from. It also comes with War of the gargantuas. https://www.amazon.com/Rodan-War-Gargan ... =rodan+dvd
Ugh. I like to organize my Toho collection by release date, and that damn box set ruins it. :mad:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Dannybeane wrote:
It reminds me of a bat prop they used to use for the old vampire films. Just stiff flappy wings.
All the flying kaiju suffered that effect in the Hesie period.

The 60s suit looked good from a distance, but any close up of the head disappointed.The beak didn't look right.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

gimmemoregojira
Ronin

Post by gimmemoregojira »

darthzilla99 wrote:
Thanks so much!!!!

Added in 45 seconds:
g2vd wrote:
And here is a review of the DVD Set that was just posted above if you have any questions about it.
http://www.tohokingdom.com/dvd/rodan-wotg_cm.html

Excellent. Thank you so much!

Added in 11 minutes 2 seconds:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
darthzilla99 wrote:
Ugh. I like to organize my Toho collection by release date, and that damn box set ruins it. :mad:
LOL!! Bummer man. :roll:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I always thought the special effects work in this movie was the best to come from TOHO in the Showa era. The miniatures were great and Rodan is always portrayed well. Some people might not like the Meganulon but I never felt that they were bad. It's probably the nostalgia talking, but not once was I ever taken out of the movie because something looked off.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:The miniatures were great and Rodan is always portrayed well.
I think I've posted about it in other threads, but the miniatures in this movie are insanely good. Like, some of the best Toho has ever used.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Some people might not like the Meganulon but I never felt that they were bad.
From what I've heard here, the Meganulon disappointed no one. They were a great way to open the film. In fact, if you took some of the elements of G ve Meg, they could have their own film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'd love to see this updated for Hollywood. The whole Meganuron subplot could be really awesome and creepy if done right.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

My favorite non-Godzilla movie, great effects, great monsters and a great plot.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I'd love to see this updated for Hollywood. The whole Meganuron subplot could be really awesome and creepy if done right.
Any particular reason you want it done by Hollywood, rather than a new Japanese version?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

If Anno did it maybe. I'd like to see his take on Meganuron.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983