Are these all the Godzilla/tie ins toho showa universe?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Are these all the Godzilla/tie ins toho showa universe?

Post by Maritonic »

I feel like I'm the only one that watches these films in release order, not some sort of chronological continuity order. I have never finished a Showa marathon with Destroy All Monsters.

That being said, I'd easily consider Varan, Frankenstein Conquers the World, War of the Gargantuas, The Mysterians, etc etc all part of the Godzilla Showa Continuity. But, I can see why people wouldn't; it's not like you really miss anything in the story by not watching them.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

tlyon2
Yojimbo

Post by tlyon2 »

I got my copy of The War In Space today and watched it! This was the only film I had not seen until now and found the last few connections that help tie it in to the rest of the Toho Showa Universe.

There is a few brief scenes of Battle In Outer Space that are throw in along with the gotengo now supped up as the gohten. But I'm sure everyone on here already knew that, I kept an eye out to see if the moon could be spotted anywhere in the film but doesn't seem to show up! So I'm going to assume the moon is still destroyed and has not been remade yet during this new alien invasion that takes place in 1988.

That still leaves them with a 10 or 11 year gap before they were able to make a new moon again using all of the available alien tech they have collected over the years to make it happen before Destroy All Monsters rolls around in the year 1999.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Like, seriously, the plot of Gorath makes it totally reasonable Toho Earth could have replaced the moon after it was destroyed in the 80s. Luna II could be an asteroid they moved into orbit around the Earth using rockets.

Maguma was supposed to be in DAM, this is the rational conclusion.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Japan is wiped off the map in Submersion of Japan, but it's back to normal later that year in Godzilla vs. Megalon. Maybe they have some sort of unmentioned technology that brings the land back up out of the Japan Sea. I mean, if we're just gonna make shit up to force these films together, why not?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

^Gorath and War in Space are directly referenced in Godzilla related media, Submersion of Japan is not, your argument is invalid.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Ivo-goji wrote:^Gorath and War in Space are directly referenced in Godzilla related media, Submersion of Japan is not, your argument is invalid.
Except for an oblique reference to Gorath in Final Wars, I don't know what you're talking about.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Well, for starters, the Space Station Terra appears in both Gorath and War in Space, so those two films are at least supposed to take place in the same setting. If either movie's story intersects with the Godzilla series then they are both part of that continuity.

Maguma was originally planned to appear in Destroy All Monsters, which would have directly tied Gorath into the larger Godzilla Showa series continuity.

War in Space features the Goten, which is obviously derived from the Gotengo. This would make War in Space part of Atragon's continuity. Atragon of course crossed over with Destroy All Monsters.

Both Gorath and War in Space are referenced in Godzilla Monster of Monsters, so they're definitely part of the game's universe. It's not a stretch to assume the same is true of Showa series (it wouldn't be a stretch to count the game itself as part of the Showa series, since it's storyline is basically a continuation of DAM).
Resized Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Ivo-goji wrote:Well, for starters, the Space Station Terra appears in both Gorath and War in Space, so those two films are at least supposed to take place in the same setting. If either movie's story intersects with the Godzilla series then they are both part of that continuity.
Sorry, I think you're trying way too hard to make this work.

The War in Space is a self-contained story. Yes, it features mecha and a space station used in previous Toho films, but there are no direct references to them. The events of Gorath have no bearing on WIS' story.
Maguma was originally planned to appear in Destroy All Monsters, which would have directly tied Gorath into the larger Godzilla Showa series continuity.
But he didn't make the cut, and it didn't. For all we know, he was removed from later drafts because someone sensibly realized that DAM's lunar setting had been destroyed by Gorath in the earlier film.
War in Space features the Goten, which is obviously derived from the Gotengo. This would make War in Space part of Atragon's continuity. Atragon of course crossed over with Destroy All Monsters.
Have you seen The War in Space? No reference to Atragon. The Gohten is its own vehicle designed and captained by Takigawa. Behind the scenes it was clearly inspired by the Gotengo, but at best they are separate versions of the same "character," like Showa Mechagodzilla and Kiryu.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

But he didn't make the cut, and it didn't. For all we know, he was removed from later drafts because someone sensibly realized that DAM's lunar setting had been destroyed by Gorath in the earlier film.
Maguma was removed because by 1966 his suit was almost in pieces. And Toho didn't want to shell out more money to repair a suit.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Maguma was removed because by 1966 his suit was almost in pieces. And Toho didn't want to shell out more money to repair a suit.
Was it? I've never seen the Ultra Q episode with it, but it looks intact in stills.

But you're right, the DAM monster cast was likely largely dictated by the state of the monster costumes in storage.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I like to think most of them are; Mothra 1961 and Rodan 1956 definitely are. Some may not.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I like to think most of them are; Mothra 1961 and Rodan 1956 definitely are. Some may not.
Mold and dust by the time DAM came around.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

tlyon2
Yojimbo

Post by tlyon2 »

Just like to confirm what Ivo-Goji has already stated that the Space Station Terra seen in War In Space is indeed the same one from Gorath. So yes they do connect with each other.
Last edited by tlyon2 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I like to think most of them are; Mothra 1961 and Rodan 1956 definitely are. Some may not.
Mold and dust by the time DAM came around.
He’s talking about the films, not the suits. He was responding to the OP, not to your conversation with Terasawa.

AbelCesar
Ronin

Post by AbelCesar »

I think the mold of a shared universe where each installment is but a piece of a larger puzzle, like that found in Marvel and other tentpole franchises, doesn't translate very well to film. It's appropiate for literature and TV because those mediums provide the needed lenght for such type of story to be told. In those cases the entirety of the show or novel is what constitutes the narrative, and with the audience expected to follow such narrative you can afford to explain plot details and character motivation at any given moment.

However, films must be careful of not depending of an exterior source to work with, they can't be "chapters". The classic era of Toho fantasy/sci-fi films works very well in this regard, because the viewer isn't forced to ask questions or resort to mental gymnastics to understand each individual film. War of the Gargantuas is a good example to bring up. Ignoring the events of Frankenstein vs. Baragon isn't a problem, because the necessary details to undestand the main story are present in the film itself. It works more as a story that starts in medias res, than a sequel. Much like Homer's Iliad, which doesn't need previous knowledge of the Trojan War for its narrative to be followed.