Original opening for Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Original opening for Godzilla

Post by Godzillian »

So for the original film Ishiro Honda had a different opening in my mind. It's summed up in the book A Critical History and Filmography of Tohos Godzilla series. Originally the opening scene was going to be a ship drifting into port without anyone on board. It would later be revealed to be radioactive. This was changed to Godzilla attacking the ship after Toho felt it was to much like the Lucky Dragon incident. Interesting idea honestly and very ominous.
Last edited by Godzillian on Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Re: Original opening for Godzilla

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Actually, I think I would have liked that intro better. Sorta reminds me of The Lost World: Jurassic Park final act where the ship crashes into port and no one's alive on board.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

That actually sounds pretty cool. very eerie and it sets up a good horror vibe to it.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

That DOES sound great. Gareth Edwards should take notes.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Seems like they sort of worked the 'abandoned ship' idea into G84.

But wow this would have made for a really solid opening.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That opening has horror, mystery, and is one great idea. But the abandoned ship has been brought into other films, like H man.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

King Kong
GPN Volunteer

Post by King Kong »

Interesting.

Would have been exceptional to have seen Mr. Honda's direction of a scene like that. Even if the idea had been previously achieved before in other films, it's certainly possible that Honda's execution of such a scene would have easily trumped any attempt of a 'abandoned ship' scene prior.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Pretty cool, but the one we did was great and got the horror aspect done, and G'84 got to do the original idea later so it wasn't completely wasted.

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

Godzillian wrote:So for the original film Ishiro Honda had a different opening in my mind. It's summed up in the book A Critical History and Filmography of Tohos Godzilla series. Originally the opening scene was going to be a ship drifting into port without anyone on board. It would later be revealed to be radioactive.
Did this go with Tsuburaya's octopus monster concept? The giant dinosaur that Godzilla ended up being might kill a crew with radiation, but he couldn't pluck them off the ship.
edgaguirus wrote:That opening has horror, mystery, and is one great idea. But the abandoned ship has been brought into other films, like H man.
It reminds me of Dracula, where a ship drifted in with the crew missing, and the captain dead and tied to the wheel. Even more so the variation filmed in Nosferatu, with its implication of the plague.
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."