Wartime ban?/Kaiju Resources?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Wartime ban?/Kaiju Resources?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hello, I'm currently in the process of writing a research paper on King Kong vs Godzilla. One part that I need to know about is the war time ban. I heard that after WW2 japan banned war films and that's why Godzilla was made. Is this true or not? I've heard it before but there's a war film from 1953 and that kind of goes against that idea.
Also Does anyone know any academic resources I could use to write about Godzilka? I can use Tohokingdom as a source but I need more knowledge.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

three
Keizer

Re: Wartime ban?/Kaiju Resources?

Post by three »

you're probably better off looking up sources that describe the times and then tying Godzilla in to that based on what you know.

i don't know much about a "wartime ban" being any sort of instrumental in the making of Godzilla, either.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Re: Wartime ban?/Kaiju Resources?

Post by Kaijugriffey »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Hello, I'm currently in the process of writing a research paper on King Kong vs Godzilla. One part that I need to know about is the war time ban. I heard that after WW2 japan banned war films and that's why Godzilla was made. Is this true or not? I've heard it before but there's a war film from 1953 and that kind of goes against that idea.
Also Does anyone know any academic resources I could use to write about Godzilka? I can use Tohokingdom as a source but I need more knowledge.
Not entirely true. It was not a hard "ban" but understandably wartime films were not exactly popular. There may have been some clampdown on anything propoganda'ish or militaristic. Also shortly after the war Military props and materials were a bit hard to come by.

But this has little to do with the Godzilla movies. Ishiro's Hondo's big Toho movie before doing Godzilla was The Eagle of the Pacific. 1953.
http://www.tohokingdom.com/movies/eagle ... acific.htm