Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

Post by Mechagigan »

I liked the Millenium version because it was such an update to Gigan's previous design; I always thought the slim, humanoid stance was a sort of signification that he was a cyborg of some form.

The Godzilla Camp
Monsterland Worker

How 'Durable' is Gigan really? Showa Gigan

Post by The Godzilla Camp »

This might not be the most exciting of topics or posts - and before one goes 'Gigan is a Ghost Cannon!' sure - but I came to wondering after seeing him in Godzilla vs Gigan in 1972 and Megalon in 1973 where it appears whilst Gigan indeed can dish out more damage and more or less can 'hack more than he can chew' at times - but when Godzilla blasts him with this Atomic Ray Beams Showa Gigan simply just falls down onto the ground and its only the work of a moment before he's up again more or less without too much ill effects or even when Showa Godzilla gives him a pounding or pounces on him (odd how Gigan doesn't apply the buzzsaw) and knocks him down but otherwise later Gigan just gets up again and only if he's losing badly then he retreats and hightails it to Space like the 'chicken' of a Kaiju he is ...

Then again with Millenium Gigan 2004 - a single blast from Godzilla 2004's Atomic Ray Beam pretty much 'necked' his goose upwards for a while before being resurrected and upgraded and ironically he 'necks' himself again ...

But is Showa Gigan somewhat 'durable' and 'not durable' at the same time? Given he didn't seem to suffer horrendous bleeding or gaping wounds or Atomic Radiation sickness ... and true whilst he may not have been able to tank it like Rodan 1964 or King Ghidorah Showa or even Anguirus 1955 at times or perhaps no doubt Hedorah 1971, it appears Showa Gigan - he gets struck, he simply takes a moment before he gets up again and unless he's losing badly then he 'chickens' out of battle ...

Moguera24
Monsterland Worker

Post by Moguera24 »

I prefer millennium as well, although the showa suit always holds a special place in my heart. It was a good idea for IDW to use both suit types throughout their various comic series, I like the idea of Gigan upgrading from one suit to the next.
I'm a fan of final wars because of how unabashedly goofy it is, and the new Gigan is the perfect example of that. I love how overkill his new weapons are, and the way they sort of gave him a personality beyond "badass villain".
That personality (at least my interpretation) is one of a show-off, a guy who thinks these new tricks and weapons are all he needs to beat his foes. He's so full of himself he constantly underestimates his foes and overestimates his cybernetic upgrades. Each of Gigan's deaths were due to his own overconfidence and stupidity, and I love that about him. It honestly makes him a better pairing with Megalon, one acts as "brains" and the other "brawn" (although both in reality are sorely lacking in the "brains" department). They make a comedic duo together in a way, and that has to be one of my favorite interpretations of the two.
I have a tumblr I guess:http://monoclemogu.tumblr.com
I don't know why anyone would want to follow me, but it's here if you're in desperate need of Godzilla/general nerdiness content on your dashboard.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I prefer the Showa version myself. This suit looked both organic and mechanical, and it had a good color palette. I liked that green and gold.

Gigan's personality also interest me, as the monster is both sadistic and cowardly. Gigan is an excellent melee fighter, using his claws and saw to injure a foe. He was literally daring Anguilas to charge his saw, and then he gleefully bashed Godzilla's forehead. But then he runs whenever the odds leave his favor. He left Megalon high and dry.

I haven't seen the Zonefighter series, so I can't speak of his portrayal there, but Showa Gigan is a memorable enemy. If only for his unusual design.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

The Godzilla Camp
Monsterland Worker

Post by The Godzilla Camp »

JVM wrote: http://www.godzilla.stopklatka.pl/gigan.jpg

Gigan's always fascinated me. He's arguably Toho's most unique monster. Unlike those such as Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan and Megalon, he can't really be called anything specific. Non-fans can say Dinosaur, Butterfly, Pteradactylus and Beetle (All innacurate on purpose since we're talking non-fans here) but Gigan is... unique. The only identifier I ever heard for him is 'black space chicken' and I Doodily-noodily think anyone would call him quite that.

Well ... ain't he more of a 'Robot Chicken' really? And given how he retreats at times like the 'Space Chicken' he is when the fight is not going in his favor ...

Though on second thoughts is Showa Gigan somewhat 'durable' and 'not durable' at the same time? Given he didn't seem to suffer horrendous bleeding or gaping wounds or Atomic Radiation sickness ... and true whilst he may not have been able to tank it like Rodan 1964 or King Ghidorah Showa or even Anguirus 1955 at times or perhaps Noodly doubt Hedorah 1971, it appears Showa Gigan - he gets struck, he simply takes a moment before he gets up again and unless he's losing badly then he 'chickens' out of battle ...

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

The Millennium version does seem more machine than animal, but I love it! The design is almost better than the original design(almost). It's kinda funny how while some of the designs in Final Wars were sub-par, Gigan's design is simple yet very well done. Ahh I love it!
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:The Millennium version does seem more machine than animal, but I love it! The design is almost better than the original design(almost). It's kinda funny how while some of the designs in Final Wars were sub-par, Gigan's design is simple yet very well done. Ahh I love it!
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/god ... 1214181710
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/god ... 0131120618
You notice how FW Gigan's design bares a lot of similarities to the uniforms the Xiliens wear. I really like how he seems designed specifically to mimic the look of the Xiliens themselves. Even his eye is reminiscent to the "glasses" they wear. While Showa has a more cyborg look to it the FW Gigan is more technorganic.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Gigan is stupid. A cyborg reptilian with a tooth-filled beak with hooks for hands, three fins, a buzzsaw stomach, and somehow a flight ability? And it's the balls-to-the-wall creativity that makes Gigan so awesome. Stupidly awesome :mrgreen: And I absolutely love it. Millennium Gigan is great because he adds more stupidly awesome things to an already stupidly awesome concept, but I love Showa Gigan a little more.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The Godzilla game for the PS4 states that originally Gigan was some space dinosaur! Then he was modified to be more powerful by the Black Hole Aliens into a cyborg to help take over the earth.

The Gigan we know and love is really MECHA GIGAN!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

My own silly headcanon was that Gigan was some sort of mutated and modified beyond recognition version of Ghidorah. The wings and the pieces of scaly golden skin are all I have going for it. That and he's from space.

I know this has no basis at all but it's just something I thought of.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I like the idea that Imperial's bootleg Gigan as him before the modifications;

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GalacticPetey wrote:My own silly headcanon was that Gigan was some sort of mutated and modified beyond recognition version of Ghidorah. The wings and the pieces of scaly golden skin are all I have going for it. That and he's from space.

I know this has no basis at all but it's just something I thought of.
I actually just learned about that theory and I like it a lot. I've heard the failed clone theory as well. Given his golden scales, his wings and some other details it wouldn't surprise. However, this only would apply to Showa Gigan as GFW Gigan bears no resemblance to Ghidorah. Also assuming the Godzilla Ps4 guide isn't full of shit that kind of disproves that theory.

Also I do really like that bootleg figure. Is it easy to buy somewhere? If so I'll get one now.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I see it all the time at flea markets and the such, It's probably pretty common on eBay, too.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

man, i got an awesome piece of watercolor art of Showa Gigan recently and it has me rethinking all of my feelings about this guy.

the design is rocketing up to be one of my all time favorites. before i was kind of ambivalent to it as part of the whole, but now i can't get over it. the color, the sharpness and angular edges juxtaposed with the curves and sleekness at different parts of the design really make Gigan one of the best creations Toho ever gave us.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Agreed. The design is elegant and menacing.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

So, does anyone know if that dinosaur origin is actually fact? Can anyone get to the bottom of this? It'd be nice to finally put an end to the "what the hell is he" question.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:So, does anyone know if that dinosaur origin is actually fact? Can anyone get to the bottom of this? It'd be nice to finally put an end to the "what the hell is he" question.
What dinosaur origin? I know the Ghidorah one, but I don't think that's ever been canon.
KaijuFiend wrote:Gigan is stupid. A cyborg reptilian with a tooth-filled beak with hooks for hands, three fins, a buzzsaw stomach, and somehow a flight ability? And it's the balls-to-the-wall creativity that makes Gigan so awesome. Stupidly awesome :mrgreen: And I absolutely love it. Millennium Gigan is great because he adds more stupidly awesome things to an already stupidly awesome concept, but I love Showa Gigan a little more.
It's stupid in the same way a Michael Bay movie is; obviously made to be the most badass thing ever, but still fun if you look past that. But whats different is that Gigan is treated as an actual character; for all his cool aspects, they were never all that played up. They could have easily advertised him to be "Godzilla's most deadly foe!"
, but instead they saved him the limelight and just made him cool on his own.

That's one thing I like about Gigan; he's one of the few monsters to have an actual personality.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:So, does anyone know if that dinosaur origin is actually fact? Can anyone get to the bottom of this? It'd be nice to finally put an end to the "what the hell is he" question.
I've never seen an official answer to what Gigan was before he was a cyborg. I've seen art that shows him as an animal, theorizing he was an animal that was captured and transformed, or an injured animal that was turned into a cyborg to save its life and become a weapon.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I've always seen the M Space Hunter Nebula, which Gigan was called in from during Vs. Megalon, as a sort of gathering of criminals; thus, them taking a normal animal and adding all kinds of weaponry to it (possibly for the sake of income) doesn't seem that far fetched.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

edgaguirus wrote:
I've never seen an official answer to what Gigan was before he was a cyborg. I've seen art that shows him as an animal, theorizing he was an animal that was captured and transformed, or an injured animal that was turned into a cyborg to save its life and become a weapon.
I just know his bio in the PS4 game states he was some space dinosaur or something (If someone could post exactly what it says about him, that'd be cool) But that origin just sounds weird.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla: