Two different Showa Gigan suits?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Re: Two different Showa Gigan suits?

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I think the one in 72 had fiberglass claws, making it a nightmare to work with, so a second suit was created?
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

LamangoKaijura wrote:I think the one in 72 had fiberglass claws, making it a nightmare to work with, so a second suit was created?
I read about that somewhere. They either changed it for the final film because the actor couldn't work with them or they did use them.
If they used the fiberglass claws, I could see why they would make a new suit.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The claws were hollowed out during filming when Satsuma had a hard time lifting them because they were too heavy.

The 73 Gigan suit was created because the first suit wasn't made for the more rigorous wrestling that was needed for Godzilla vs Megalon.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

wow. the 72 version looks so much better than the 73 version. i grew up on the Megalon movie, so i am kinda shocked i never noticed this.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Depends how one defines 'two different suits'. They didn't re-use the exact suit from the previous movie, but I don't thnk there were two completely separate suits, but that the Megalon one was rebuilt on the parts of the previous suit and modified.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Two different suits entirely. I've seen photos of the suits next to each other while the second one was being built.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

JVM wrote:Depends how one defines 'two different suits'.
Well, two different suits means two different suits. It isn't complicated.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

JVM wrote:Depends how one defines 'two different suits'. They didn't re-use the exact suit from the previous movie, but I don't thnk there were two completely separate suits, but that the Megalon one was rebuilt on the parts of the previous suit and modified.
Yeah, they're both different suits. No reused parts.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Legion1979 wrote:Two different suits entirely. I've seen photos of the suits next to each other while the second one was being built.
I was half-expecting someone to say this and I know you've posted photos like this before, so I'll believe you. Neat.

Although it seems incredibly strange Toho would invest in a new suit for a monster they just made a new suit for last year, I suppose it wouldn't be the first time they did something strange.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Omega T-Rex
Ronin

Post by Omega T-Rex »

The ShodaiGigan suit was modified in Godzilla vs Megalon, the suit was made thinner, less bulky, the horn on the head was less pointed, and the buzzsaw didn't move and the back fins size were different, the visor was turned into a more circular shape, scales running up the back/sides of the neck and the legs were made longer, The modified suit was named MegaroGigan.
Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind.
John F. Kennedy

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Omega T-Rex wrote:The ShodaiGigan suit was modified in Godzilla vs Megalon, the suit was made thinner, less bulky, the horn on the head was less pointed, and the buzzsaw didn't move and the back fins size were different, the visor was turned into a more circular shape, scales running up the back/sides of the neck and the legs were made longer, The modified suit was named MegaroGigan.
That's what I thought, too, but it looks like that may not be true;
Goji wrote: Image
If your look really close behind between Jet Jaguar and Gigan, you can see another Gigan suit hiding behind them. Supposedly, that's the original Gigan (or, it could be the other way around).

Omega T-Rex
Ronin

Post by Omega T-Rex »

Mechagigan wrote:
Omega T-Rex wrote:The ShodaiGigan suit was modified in Godzilla vs Megalon, the suit was made thinner, less bulky, the horn on the head was less pointed, and the buzzsaw didn't move and the back fins size were different, the visor was turned into a more circular shape, scales running up the back/sides of the neck and the legs were made longer, The modified suit was named MegaroGigan.
That's what I thought, too, but it looks like that may not be true;
If your look really close behind between Jet Jaguar and Gigan, you can see another Gigan suit hiding behind them. Supposedly, that's the original Gigan (or, it could be the other way around).
could be a prototype suit which was damaged
Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind.
John F. Kennedy

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Omega T-Rex wrote: could be a prototype suit which was damaged
I was actually thinking the same exact thing, but I kept it out of my post for clarity. It could have even been a promotional suit.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

"According to multiple sources, this isn't the original Gigan suit seen in Godzilla vs. Gigan the year before. Apparently that suit was so damaged that it had to be replaced." - Steve Ryfle in Media Blasters' Godzilla vs. Megalon commentary.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mechagigan wrote:
Omega T-Rex wrote: could be a prototype suit which was damaged
I was actually thinking the same exact thing, but I kept it out of my post for clarity. It could have even been a promotional suit.
Promotional Gigan suit? Never seen one of those. I doubt something like that ever existed.

The photo everyone is discussing was scanned and posted by me years ago. The Gigan in front is the original suit and the one in the back is the unfinished second suit.

Why is this still being debated?