Two different Showa Gigan suits?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Two different Showa Gigan suits?

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Hi there. I was just watching some stuff on Godzilla vs Megalon, and I heard mention that there were two Gigan suits: one for Godzilla vs Gigan, and a new one made for Godzilla vs Megalon and later used in Zone Fighter, kind of like how they made a second Mechagodzilla suit for Terror of Mechagodzilla.
From what I heard, it was because the old suit had received to much damage during filming of Godzilla vs Gigan, and I was just wondering if this story was true or not. Thanks! :D
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Two different Showa Gigan suits?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm pretty sure the suit was the same but it was modified. I think it was a bit slimmer and his "sails" are a bit different.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

I had also heard that the Gigan suit in Megalon was new... that constructing four new suits had eaten up a huge chunk of that film's meager budget.

The shape of the head on Gigan '73 looks different, to me.
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

They are definitely two different suits. The '72 version is meaner looking and the torso area is well formed showing a little bit of hips. '73 looks like a parody of the '72 with its happy face and egg shaped torso, also his legs look shorter.

Gigan72 is a Gigan fanatic and can shed better details if he wants.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

If its a new suit, I kind of understand why they had to use so much stock footage in this film.
HayesAJones wrote:

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The one in MEGALON *was* a new suit, but why would that mean they had to use more stock footage? That doesn't make any sense. If anything, it means they should have used less, but it just wasn't in the budget.

August Ragone confirmed a while back that they're two different suits, and provided this photo, which if you look closely, shows the another Gigan suit sitting behind the new one.

UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Goji wrote:The one in MEGALON *was* a new suit, but why would that mean they had to use more stock footage? That doesn't make any sense. If anything, it means they should have used less, but it just wasn't in the budget.

August Ragone confirmed a while back that they're two different suits, and provided this photo, which if you look closely, shows the another Gigan suit sitting behind the new one
By that, I meant that the extra suit cost them more and took more money out of their budget, so they had to resort to using stock footage because there was less money for actual effects.
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The '72 suit was apparently in too banged out, and couldn't be used, so there was no way they could get around making a new one. I guess the damage was bad enough that they couldn't refurbish it.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

ReechieMan
Yojimbo

Post by ReechieMan »

I believe in an issue of G-fan they stated that I was two suits, and I most definitely thought so. For example, if you compare the two Gigans from each film, you'll notice that the one in Godzilla vs. Megalon was more jagged looking, and traded a green for a more bluish color.

Prime example of the first suit of '72: http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080361 ... 34&pid=1.7

Prime example of the second suit of '73: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yLTzHc_qhAc/U ... +and+m.jpg

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

ILL GREEN wrote:They are definitely two different suits. The '72 version is meaner looking and the torso area is well formed showing a little bit of hips. '73 looks like a parody of the '72 with its happy face and egg shaped torso, also his legs look shorter.
I like both Gigan suits. The '72 is definitely my favorite, but from some angles, the '73 version has a stronger looking chest, and less of a 'pregnant' look. The head on Gigan '73 looks less bird-like, and more 'alien'... reminds me more of the original concept art for Gigan. (But the Gigan '72 design still wins in terms of overall design: a study in menace, beauty, and pure evil.)

Part of the '73 Gigan suit's appeal, for me, no doubt comes from the fact that it was my first look at Gigan onscreen. While I understand a lot of viewers' affection for the film... well, let's just say that I was sunk pretty low in my theater seat and longing for the good old days of Destroy All Monsters, and suddenly, I heard the words, "Tell them we need Gigan's help immediately!"

That woke me up in a hurry, and I looked forward to the upcoming battle.
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

ReechieMan wrote:I believe in an issue of G-fan they stated that I was two suits, and I most definitely thought so. For example, if you compare the two Gigans from each film, you'll notice that the one in Godzilla vs. Megalon was more jagged looking, and traded a green for a more bluish color.

Prime example of the first suit of '72: http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080361 ... 34&pid=1.7

Prime example of the second suit of '73: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yLTzHc_qhAc/U ... +and+m.jpg
Yeah, It's been clear to me that they're different for a long time now, but even with DVD's and BD's, people still seem to not be able to tell the difference.The difference in color doesn't really come across on screen thanks to the muted colors on Toho's transfers, but the head and body (at least to me) are very obviously not the same.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

They are definitely two different suits. Comparing them side by side, there are some pretty noticeable differences.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Goji wrote:The one in MEGALON *was* a new suit, but why would that mean they had to use more stock footage? That doesn't make any sense. If anything, it means they should have used less, but it just wasn't in the budget.

August Ragone confirmed a while back that they're two different suits, and provided this photo, which if you look closely, shows the another Gigan suit sitting behind the new one.

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s45 ... veyy2m.jpg
That's actually my photo. :)

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

ILL GREEN wrote:Gigan72 is a Gigan fanatic and can shed better details if he wants.
Hi, i'm incredibly late. :D
Anyways, yes, they are different suits. 72 has a clearly more menacing eye, while 73 has a goofier, more kid-friendly look. The stomach is also reduced in size on 73. These are the most easily noticed details.
Apparently there's also some slight color differences, but nobody really notices these.
Here and here are a couple good pictures of the 73' suit.
Here and here are a couple good images of the 73 suit.
This here is also a decent reference for the 72' suit.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Neat! I've been looking at some Godzilla vs Gigan promotional material, and it appears that they used the 73 Gigan in those materials. Makes me wonder if the 73 suit is a promotional suit, like the Fake Godzilla suit they used in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and in water scenes in Terror of Mechagodzilla
HayesAJones wrote:

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I noticed the color differences, actually. 72 is greener and 73 is a bit more blueish.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote: I've been looking at some Godzilla vs Gigan promotional material, and it appears that they used the 73 Gigan in those materials. Makes me wonder if the 73 suit is a promotional suit, like the Fake Godzilla suit they used in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and in water scenes in Terror of Mechagodzilla
Examples?

Not sure how a suit that didn't even exist yet could be featured in promotional materials for the previous film.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I always knew there were two suits, actually, there was some sort of discussion about all this that was sparked in another thread. We just settled that the one in Megalon/Zone Fighter was the "derpy" looking Gigan.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:Neat! I've been looking at some Godzilla vs Gigan promotional material, and it appears that they used the 73 Gigan in those materials. Makes me wonder if the 73 suit is a promotional suit, like the Fake Godzilla suit they used in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and in water scenes in Terror of Mechagodzilla
Where? I'm certain it wasn't used in promotion materials, as it didn't exist then... :?
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

gigan72 wrote:
GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:Neat! I've been looking at some Godzilla vs Gigan promotional material, and it appears that they used the 73 Gigan in those materials. Makes me wonder if the 73 suit is a promotional suit, like the Fake Godzilla suit they used in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and in water scenes in Terror of Mechagodzilla
Where? I'm certain it wasn't used in promotion materials, as it didn't exist then... :?
Well, you're right. Looking more closely at the visor in that photo, it is in fact the 72 Gigan suit. The posture of Gigan in the photo made it appear to be the 73 suit. here's the link, it's under guides on pages 5-6. Sorry I couldn't directly link it, but when I tried, the picture was far to small to work.
HayesAJones wrote: