What species is Kamoebas?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Terrier
JXSDF Technician

What species is Kamoebas?

Post by Terrier »

Is Kamoebas supposed to be any specific species of turtle? Many sites call him a "rock turtle", but for what I could find that name is not used for any real world species.
There is a real turtle in the movie at 18:34 that may actually be Kamoebas before mutation. Any clue what species that is?

I was going to ask this in a Space Amoeba thread but they are all old and inactive.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Re: What species is Kamoebas?

Post by ScootaVaran »

I thought he was a snapping turtle.
Hmm, I'll put in the DVD and watch the special features. It said it in there I believe.

*edit. It was a Mata Mata Turtle.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mata_mata
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

Thanks a lot! Snapping turtle was my first assumption too, because of the neck, but otherwise they weren't too similar.

I was hoping to look for the sexual dimorphism of whatever species Kamoebas was to see if "he" may actually be a "she". Apparently the main difference is the size of the tail, being shorter in females. Kamoebas' tail seem short to me but it could still be proportional to a male turtle.

Edit: Kamoebas may be male after all. The tiny tail of females is almost unnoticable, and males also have a concave lower side of the shell, wich Kamoebas seems to have.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Terrier wrote:There is a real turtle in the movie at 18:34 that may actually be Kamoebas before mutation. Any clue what species that is?
I believe for that moment they got an unrelated turtle and stuck makeup on its shell.

Dr. Nishiyama
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dr. Nishiyama »

Kamoebas's species is a matamata turtle

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

It seems obvious now seeing how in Tokyo SOS Kamoebas was called "Megalo matamata", but I must have assumed the whole name was made up ("mata" is spanish and maybe latin for "kill", and Kamoebas was dead, so...).

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Terrier wrote:It seems obvious now seeing how in Tokyo SOS Kamoebas was called "Megalo matamata", but I must have assumed the whole name was made up ("mata" is spanish and maybe latin for "kill", and Kamoebas was dead, so...).
Imagine finding the corpse of an undiscovered animal and naming it after just that, the fact that its dead... :lol:
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A very morbid legacy. Mata Mata is the species name, and Megalo is latin for big.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.