Godzilla (1954) Awards?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Godzilla (1954) Awards?

Post by Pkmatrix »

I've heard it mentioned before that G'54 was nominated for film awards in 1954, in one case nominated for Best Picture but losing to Seven Samurai while winning an award in Special Effects.

What award was that? It seems everyone assumes it was the Japan Academy Prize, but unless everything I've read is wrong they didn't start handing out that award until the '70s.

UltramanGoji

Re: Godzilla (1954) Awards?

Post by UltramanGoji »

According to Wikipedia (which cites Steve Ryfle as its source), it was nominated for the Japan Movie Association Award for Best Special Effects and Best Picture, but lost the latter to Seven Samurai.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Godzilla (1954) Awards?

Post by Pkmatrix »

The entry on Wikipedia is exactly why I'm asking the question: I can't find any page on this "Japan Movie Association Award". Every article/page I've found discussing Japanese movie awards talks about the Blue Ribbon Award, the Japan Academy Prize (better known as the Japanese Academy Award), and the Mainichi Film Award - nothing about the "Japan Movie Association Award". Can anyone link to a page or website for this organization, or anything about this award? I haven't been able to find anything in English on it.