Riichiro Manabe 1924-2015 the last Showa Godzilla composer

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
TheSecondComing
Futurian

Riichiro Manabe 1924-2015 the last Showa Godzilla composer

Post by TheSecondComing »

This is a Toho board so the news deserves it's own thread rather than being relegated to the "dead celebrity" thread that not everyone reads or is otherwise familiar with.

http://www.scified.com/site/we-all-wear ... asses-away

For those who aren't already aware, Hedorah and Megalon composer Riichiro Manabe passed away about two weeks ago at the age of 90. He was the last living man who composed the music for Showa Godzilla and so in a way it is the end of the Golden Era. His unique brand of music will live on as long as there is Godzilla, standing right alongside the iconic cues of Ifukube and the jazzy sounds of Sato. Congratulations on the long happy life and we shall see you in the next one, sir.

Brandon O'Brian
Monsterland Worker

Re: Riichiro Manabe 1924-2015 the last Showa Godzilla compos

Post by Brandon O'Brian »

I was absolutely devastated to hear this news. He was one of my most favorite composers. He composed some brilliant scores too. He will be missed.
- Brandon O'Brian
"Good music is always simple" - Akira Ifukube

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I enjoy his themes in G vs Megalon. It's unfortunate to hear he's gone. May he rest in peace, and comfort to any friends and family.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Well, this sucks. I just spent a few minutes listening to Gvs Meg's sound track to help me calm down from a stress attack. Now he's gone? This kinda bites.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

While I never particularly enjoyed the music from the Hedorah and Megalon movies, this is still some quite sad news. RIP

1tisoygoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by 1tisoygoji »

I'm still saddened by this.
RIP Manabe

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

While this is sad news, it's not exactly unexpected. Dude was over ninety years old. Feelings about Megalon aside, I feel like his score for Hedorah is really under-appreciated in what it adds to the film in terms of atmosphere. I really can't imagine the movie without it to be honest.