Lost Projects: Bride of Godzilla?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Lost Projects: Bride of Godzilla?

Post by Pkmatrix »

Legion1979 wrote:It does sound like a '70s film. A batshit stupid '70s film but a '70s film nonetheless.

Only problem is that this is apparently from the mid '50s, when Toho was only doing basic monster on the loose films and simple alien invasion stories. That's why I don't buy it.
That's actually exactly why I do buy it: it sounds like the sort of insane thing a young Yoshimitsu Banno (or someone like him) would toss about in the '50s, but then would get rejected by the Studio Execs as being crazy nonsense. People had nutty ideas in the '50s too, after all, they just rarely got made 'cause Sci-Fi/Horror was in vogue not the more fantastic stuff that became popular later.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Considering that the next movie after the first two, sort of, serious Godzilla movies was a fun-crossover between two of the most well-known monsters to date, kind of makes an impression of what Toho executives
had in mind in tone-changing in movies...

So, yeah.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Giga Kaiju wrote:Considering that the next movie after the first two, sort of, serious Godzilla movies was a fun-crossover between two of the most well-known monsters to date, kind of makes an impression of what Toho executives
had in mind in tone-changing in movies...

So, yeah.
Raids Again was made in 1955. KKvsG was made in 1962. The Godzilla series didnt exist in a bubble. The genre slowly evolved between those films; Half Human, Rodan, Mysterians, H-Man, Varan, Battle in Outer Space, Human Vapor, Secret of the Telegian, Mothra and Gorath were all monster/sci-fi films made between those two Godzilla movies.

Look at everything immediately following Raids Again. Hell, look at anything Toho made in the '50s. Where the f@ck would something like Bride of Godzilla have fit in? It sounds out there even for a '70s film.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

But then again, were any of those movies 'serious'? Were they 'grounded'? Were they aimed to only one audience? Those movies weren't exactly that 'deep' in terms of the era or year. Fun and everything you want, but yeah.

BOG could have fit to any of those examples you just said and no one would have bat an eye. (Aside the fact that it was a Godzilla movie and a female bot featuring other monsters as well...)
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

It was more so Frankenstein then the over films but the Universal monsters had

Solo film to start of series
Revenge/Return film to serve as a sequel
Bride/Son/Daughter film
Crossover film.

Godzilla had all these expect the Bride film and I personally wouldn't mind a reboot of bride of Godzilla is Toho did it. We'd get two new monsters, a remade Godzilla and Angurius and a Giant robot. Change Hollow Earth to Monster island and make it only one of each monster and it sounds like a fun flick.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Legion1979 wrote:Where the f@ck would something like Bride of Godzilla have fit in?
Why do you seem so bent on invalidating a legitimate story treatment just because it doesn't fit in with your views and ideas about a studio's thought process?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

You know what, kids. I'll believe it as soon as someone like August Ragone or Keith Aiken tells me that this was something that actually could have happened in 1956. And I don't think that will be happening any time soon.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote:You know what, kids. I'll believe it as soon as someone like August Ragone or Keith Aiken tells me that this was something that actually could have happened in 1956. And I don't think that will be happening any time soon.
Well go ask them and then bring them to the thread or bringwhat they tell you back here. As far as I'm concerned this movie doesn't feel that far fetched.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

^ Yeah, if it takes that only to prove or disolve the story of this project, then by all means. It still sounds like a curious idea though.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I still want to get my hands on a copy of this book. I'll check again later, maybe it's come down in price since I last looked.

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:It does sound like a '70s film. A batshit stupid '70s film but a '70s film nonetheless.

Only problem is that this is apparently from the mid '50s, when Toho was only doing basic monster on the loose films and simple alien invasion stories. That's why I don't buy it.
That's actually exactly why I do buy it: it sounds like the sort of insane thing a young Yoshimitsu Banno (or someone like him) would toss about in the '50s, but then would get rejected by the Studio Execs as being crazy nonsense. People had nutty ideas in the '50s too, after all, they just rarely got made 'cause Sci-Fi/Horror was in vogue not the more fantastic stuff that became popular later.
The scenario for The Bride of Godzilla? (ゴジラの花嫁?) was written in 1955 by Hideo Unagami (海上 日出男), the writer of The H-Man (美女と液体人間).

He's even credited for The Bride of Godzilla? on his Japanese Wikipedia page: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/海上日出男
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

SuperMonsterZero wrote: The scenario for The Bride of Godzilla? (ゴジラの花嫁?) was written in 1955 by Hideo Unagami (海上 日出男), the writer of The H-Man (美女と液体人間).

He's even credited for The Bride of Godzilla? on his Japanese Wikipedia page: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/海上日出男
But I don't believe it because it doesn't fit in with my views on a series of rubber monster films.

I won't believe anything until some credible Godzilla "historian" produces a chewed up blog post that aims for sensationalism instead of accurate documentation.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

Space Hunter M, let's not do this. You know what'll happen.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

gigan72 wrote:Space Hunter M, let's not do this. You know what'll happen.
Not to add fuel to the flames, but he's not exactly wrong.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

SuperMonsterZero wrote:The scenario for The Bride of Godzilla? (ゴジラの花嫁?) was written in 1955 by Hideo Unagami (海上 日出男), the writer of The H-Man (美女と液体人間).

Now that is interesting! :)

From what I can gather from the Wiki article (via the Rorschach Test that is Google Translate), it sounds like Unagami didn't have a very long career at Toho: he wrote the story for The H-Man but passed away from a heart attack shortly afterward in 1957 so that's really the only thing he wrote that we're aware of.

The article has TWO citations for The Bride of Godzilla.

The first is the same book we've been discussing here: Godzilla: Toho Tokusatsu Unpublished Material Archive: The Era of Producer Tomoyuki Tanaka. The second is a book titled, Toho Special Effect Movie Complete Works (『東宝特撮映画大全集』) published in 2012 by Village Books.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Ha. Interesting. Well there you go, there is some confirmation in the books. :)

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Off-topic: What's with the attitude change toward G-history buffs like KPA and August Ragone? I remember before the site reformed, their info was taken as unquestioned cannon by 99% of the posters, but now there seems to be a good chunk who think their BS. What changed that? Was August's mistakes with the media blasters reportings awhile back that damaging or something? I mean people make mistakes, but generally, their info is 90% accurate from what I have seen and read.
I am not trying to flame, I am just genuinely curious.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

darthzilla99 wrote:I am not trying to flame, I am just genuinely curious.
August blatantly nabbed a photoset of mine and many others without consent before. He hyped up the November HDTV broadcast of King Kong vs. Godzilla for having the new restoration even though the Blu-Ray was released months before, and went further to wrongly explain how the Blu-Ray was just another upscale, which it isn't. When it did air, he reported that it used the stereo mix even though they only showed it with the mono soundtrack. That should tell you the way this kind of person operates.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

August used to be on these forums until the Media Blasters fiasco of 2011. Pretty sure he even lost Keith's respect after that bullshit...

That being said, I like his writing.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

tymon wrote:August used to be on these forums until the Media Blasters fiasco of 2011. Pretty sure he even lost Keith's respect after that bullshit...
He's an unpleasant enough person to talk with, I'll say that much.