Lost Projects: Bride of Godzilla?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Re: Lost Projects: Bride of Godzilla?

Post by g2vd »

Who is this August Ragone ? Exactly what did KPA do, and what is this Media Blasters Fiasco?
Godzilla

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

August is a friend of mine. Although at times he can come off abrasive (but shit, so can I) he's a really good person who probably knows more about this genre than any single person on this message board, and this place is poorer without him here to share information. He has a strong voice and doesn't suffer fools lightly, and I think a great deal of fans have a very hard time with that. Time and time again I've seen people blow up at him just because they're being corrected. I think it's sad how people are so willing to blow off his contributions simply because he's made a mistake or two. No one is perfect. He has a very large FB presence and is constantly working on new projects.

KPA is Keith Aiken, one of the owners of Sci-Fi Japan, someone else with an incredible wealth of information that puts most people to shame. He has a lot of contracts in the industry, worked on the animated GINO series and most recently wrote what's probably the most definitive article on the abanadoned pre-Emmerich Tri-Star Godzillas, as well as the making of the 1998 film. He's an incredibly nice guy, but unfortunately not as active on the boards as he used to be. Which is a shame, because it was always fun to watch him enter a thread and outright school everyone.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I spoke to August at G-FEST this year, he was a really cool dude.

The "Media Blasters fiasco" I believe had something to do with the special features on the DAM and Megalon discs. People threw a shit fit when they found out the discs were bare-bones (At least, that's what I think happened).
Legion1979 wrote:Time and time again I've seen people blow up at him just because they're being corrected.
That's normal around here. Inexcusable, but normal nonetheless.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Well, that was a mistake beyond his 'reach' from what I can understand. Sad that someone gets the blame from company shenanigans.

But then again, I am not that familiarized as that year I was just getting the hang of TK and its "you're not correct and debates" at first.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

The Media Blasters fiasco was actually August making a big announcement that Media Blasters was going to release Megalon ... at a time when Media Blasters not only didn't have the rights to said film, but hadn't even thought about releasing any Godzilla titles.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Oh. So, the coincidences just 'overlapped' each other while not being right at the same time? Wow. In that case, I may see why everyone got 'mad.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Legion1979 wrote:KPA is Keith Aiken, one of the owners of Sci-Fi Japan, someone else with an incredible wealth of information that puts most people to shame. Unfortunately he's not as active on the boards as he used to be. Which is a shame, because it was always fun to watch him enter a thread and outright school everyone.
Keith is able to school people in a respectful way, unlike most in his field (including August).
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Just seeing him in the boards at all, informing people is a treat to behold. :P

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Oh man, if I had enough time I'd turn this in to a full-on story.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

ProfessorBeats
GPN Volunteer

Post by ProfessorBeats »

I don't know if there've been any developments as far as looking into this project since this first came to all our attentions (I noticed there was some debate about how authentic the whole thing was earlier here) but something that interests me is how, at first glance, this seems so similar to all those old Jules Verne novel adaptations and so forth. So it made a lot of sense that this Hollow Earth thing would've been enticing. But a quick glance shows that, as far as the movies are concerned, the big film adaptations of At the Earth's Core, The Land that Time Forgot, and The People that Time Forgot all happened in the 70s, with the adaptations of The Mysterious Island and Journey to the Center of the Earth not happening till well after this would've been written. Even The Land Unknown was 1957. So the claim here is that this would've essentially been on the cutting edge, ahead of its time! Rather unusual for Toho's knack for following the trends of the time (ala the Black Hole ape men and Planet of the Apes). But I mean, I guess the whole giant love-bot thing is ahead of the mid 50s as well.
All the same, I love this story. Definitely wish there was more plentiful info about this beast - or that someone would attempt to adapt it in a short comic or something. Definitely got a kick out of it.
Agent of Seatopia

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Oh man, one of the most skreeonked-up projects that never got finished. The whole story makes the unmade "A Space Godzilla" seem like a fairy tale for kids.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Dino-Mario wrote:Oh man, one of the most skreeonked-up projects that never got finished. The whole story makes the unmade "A Space Godzilla" seem like a fairy tale for kids.
Thus film is more down ti earth than A SpaceGodzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Nice pun there.

That female robot would have been unique among Toho's other robotic creations. Most are rather masculine in design.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Dino-Mario wrote:Oh man, one of the most skreeonked-up projects that never got finished. The whole story makes the unmade "A Space Godzilla" seem like a fairy tale for kids.

Bride of Godzilla is basically "Godzilla meets Journey to the Center of the Earth, but with a robot."

A Space Godzilla has Godzilla die from diabetes and then reveals that Godzillas are actually a talking, sentient alien race.

If "skreeonked-up" is what you're looking for, A Space Godzilla takes the cake by far.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

Well, time to get rid of the dust and cobwebs from this topic. Got a script for this one. This comes from THE BIG BOOK OF JAPANESE GIANT MONSTER MOVIES: THE LOST FILMS.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

MinorBone Good wrote:Well, time to get rid of the dust and cobwebs from this topic. Got a script for this one. This comes from THE BIG BOOK OF JAPANESE GIANT MONSTER MOVIES: THE LOST FILMS.
This is still aboluslutely bonkers. There's easily way too many monsters, and it just feels like ad-libbing. And yet it seems super dark with the foster child thing dying.

I sort of hope they bring something insane like this, or A Space Godzilla back in the future.

I imagine the fleas are only a few meters long? I feel like some of these ideas got seperated and were put into Rodan (with the meganulon) and some other Toho films.

I can see how this film would become Rodan, and Varan. Elements would later be used with Jet Jaguar and MechaGodzilla.

Also interesting how it's more a direct sequel to GRA. I think Kong might have "normalized" the franchise.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: This is still aboluslutely bonkers. There's easily way too many monsters, and it just feels like ad-libbing. And yet it seems super dark with the foster child thing dying.

I sort of hope they bring something insane like this, or A Space Godzilla back in the future.

I imagine the fleas are only a few meters long? I feel like some of these ideas got seperated and were put into Rodan (with the meganulon) and some other Toho films.

I can see how this film would become Rodan, and Varan. Elements would later be used with Jet Jaguar and MechaGodzilla.

Also interesting how it's more a direct sequel to GRA. I think Kong might have "normalized" the franchise.
Fun Fact: Those fleas actually made their way into a Godzilla film. That's right, Shockirus from Return of Godzilla were inspired by the Bride of Godzilla script! In fact, Tanaka brought back the idea and asked Nagahara to rewrite a new version of it so they could revive the Godzilla franchise.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Also, for those still questioning this projects validity, doing some research in Japanese came up with some interesting other sources about the film.
(also I'm assuming this isn't some elaborate forgery)

I'd translate this but I'm worried it's stuff we already know.

Added in 1 minute 24 seconds:
MinorBone Good wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: This is still aboluslutely bonkers. There's easily way too many monsters, and it just feels like ad-libbing. And yet it seems super dark with the foster child thing dying.

Fun Fact: Those fleas actually made their way into a Godzilla film. That's right, Shockirus from Return of Godzilla were inspired by the Bride of Godzilla script! In fact, Tanaka brought back the idea and asked Nagahara to rewrite a new version of it so they could revive the Godzilla franchise.
Well yeah. Let's see, there's tons of elements that got re-used in general.

Discoveries:
ーThe script thing posted talks about how to introduce and explain the monsters. I think it says its unnecessary to explain Godzilla. However, this Godzilla is supposed to mimic/resemble a laughing grin more ( I think, it notes something specifically about Godzilla having a more laughing face, and its implying a lot of attention needs to be put into it).
ーThe Chamelon Creature/s were supposed to be half Godzilla's standing height, or half his height.
-There was a mammoth as well.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Sounds like this would be a third Godzilla and the one from Raids again would have stayed frozen till the fight with Kong. Really wish this one got made.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'll translate the new material I posted if no one else decides to take a stab at it (busy this weekend playing Pokemon and traveling).

I'll make this a post separate from the big thing I posted just to keep it easy to see. Bear in mind, while I can read and write Japanese pretty decently, I am not a professional translator and there's a chance I might mix some things up (so don't come at me and attack me if something is a little off).

Discoveries:
ーThe script thing posted talks about how to introduce and explain the monsters. I think it says its unnecessary to explain Godzilla. However, this Godzilla is supposed to mimic/resemble a laughing grin more ( I think, it notes something specifically about Godzilla having a more laughing face, and its implying a lot of attention needs to be put into it).

ーThe Chameleon Creature/s were supposed to be half Godzilla's standing height, or half his height.

-There was a mammoth as well.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.