What about Showa makes it your favorite era?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Turtleman
Young Farmer

What about Showa makes it your favorite era?

Post by Turtleman »

What is it about this great era that makes you love it so much? The creativity? The monsters? The zany plots?

One thing that makes it the best in my opinion is just how unrestricted it felt. Unlike films from the Heisei, Millennium, and now Legendary series, the Showa stuff feels so out there and absurd at times. You really get the feeling(for the later films at least) that the writers and directors were given more creative control and it really shows in how outlandish some of the films could get.

I also love the variety. Due to the sheer amount of movies contained in this series, there's tons of different genres experimented with. From the really dark, atmospheric Gojira, to the 60's sci-fi influenced Monster Zero, and the early 70's psychadelic influenced Hedorah. Having these films span over 20 years really gives an interesting window into the styles of the time each movie was made.

I also love the loose continuity with the series, especially when you include non-G films like Rodan, Mothra, Varan, etc. It allows fans to have fun with the canon when trying to piece together all the movies to fit into the universe.
That's only a few reasons, but there's a lot more I could talk about since I really love this era.

Gojora
JXSDF Technician

Re: What about Showa makes it your favorite era?

Post by Gojora »

Hmmm....
It's either king kong vs godzilla or the fact godzilla's a hero later on.
But it's the creativity that makes it my favorite i mean look at that thing.
Resized Image
LOOK AT IT!
TK's Touhou resident.
Basically the only guy here that likes the Shadow Arena.
RIP Shadow Arena, it was my favorite place...
Resized Image
Kaijunator wrote:
Derzerb wrote:Apocalymon makes this fight one-sided since he can flat out delete enemies or he could just wipe out the entire dimension.
Delete enemies. Lol.
Apocalymon: I want to delete my opponents. *goes to computer* and delete! *presses delete button, all enemies get deleted*.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Whenever I think of the Showa, I always think of how fun, crazy, and at the same time, amazing the whole 21 year span is!

Turtleman, I love how you brought up the notion that the canon can be conformed to how the fans really want to, even though there is none, unlike the heisei, where the only continuity you can follow is the one given, and while it's fun to figure it out (i.e. GvKG) it still doesn't give that... fantasy-element like the showa.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The sheer variety of genres and themes. One film could be a serious space drama while the next could be a goofy crime film.

Turtleman
Young Farmer

Post by Turtleman »

he-ba wrote:Whenever I think of the Showa, I always think of how fun, crazy, and at the same time, amazing the whole 21 year span is!

Turtleman, I love how you brought up the notion that the canon can be conformed to how the fans really want to, even though there is none, unlike the heisei, where the only continuity you can follow is the one given, and while it's fun to figure it out (i.e. GvKG) it still doesn't give that... fantasy-element like the showa.
Exactly! That's one of the reasons I like Heisei the least out of all the eras. It just seemed so strict in following its own rules, and never seemed to have a lot of fun with its movies. I love thinking about how stuff like War of the Gargantuas and Varan the Unbelievable can be woven into the Godzilla series fabric. You get much more of a sense of wonder with the Showa stuff in my opinion.

Another I like is the variety of suits used. Though I guess that could be seen as a continuity flaw, but oh well. I can easily look past that and accept it. I think it's interesting seeing the different designs, especially when the design helps reflect the tone of the movie.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

I love the shows era for its color and saturations of the films. Colors just pop. Also the unrestricted themes of each movie just made you wonder what is in store for the next film. Godzilla was a villain, hero, went around the globe, he went to space, he fought against serious odds, he swims, he flies, has charisma and magnetization.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's easily the most entertaining, sincere and diverse era. Period.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

The movies weren't just made to sell toys.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I've always loved the concept of Monster Island. The monsters weren't just one off critters that always got killed at the end of each film. Most kaiju were brought back multiple times and felt more like a comic book heroes/villains. Also loved how each monster had its own distinct design and personality and powers. Then, as a few have said, there's just the overall outlandish sense of fun, excitement, and inventiveness of the films. Few franchises, except maybe James Bond, can match it in that sense.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

three
Keizer

Post by three »

it's not my favorite, but there really does seem to be a lot of nostalgia and entertainment value there for me. i can pick up just about any one of the Showa films (with a few exceptions) and watch them at any point in the movie and still enjoy it all the same. it's great.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Besides the many good points already mentioned, I love the designs of the monsters. There was so much variety and life to them. Too many modern kaiju get bogged down in trying to be 'realistic' or 'badass', and lose the simple charm and fun that made their ancestors so beloved.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GTU
Xilien Halfling

Post by GTU »

In general the Showa films have interesting, entertaining, and occasionally funny characters I can care about.
[clever statement pending]
Genuinely likes Godzilla's Revenge
Steam Profile thing (PM me if you send a friend request)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The nostalgia factor.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

LegendZilla wrote:The nostalgia factor.

Ah cmon, man! There's gotta be more than just that!!
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Gigan is cowardly? Maybe in Godzilla vs Megalon, but certainly not Godzilla vs Gigan
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

three
Keizer

Post by three »

he-ba wrote:Gigan is cowardly? Maybe in Godzilla vs Megalon, but certainly not Godzilla vs Gigan
Doesn't he dip there, too, and let Ghidorah do the hard work? Gigan, man, always shirking responsibility.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Gigan always came across to me as opportunist and self-serving, not so much cowardly. Got a partner? Make him do the work. Things not going your way? Cut your losses and bail, 'cause nothing is worth giving up your life for. He's pretty obviously a mercenary in his attitude (I'd love to see them make that official too, it'd be a cool extra dimension to add to him).

As I've said in the past, I find it easier to point to specific decades as my favorites rather than the whole bloc of Showa. For me, my favorite Showa decade is the '60s and a BIG reason for that is Shinichi Sekizawa. I love Sekizawa's writing throughout the '60s - the way he constructs his plots, his characters, the tone...just awesome. ^_^

(Honda's direction, Ifukube's scores, and Tsubaraya's FX work are just icing on the cake. ^_^)

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Pkmatrix wrote:Gigan always came across to me as opportunist and self-serving, not so much cowardly. Got a partner? Make him do the work. Things not going your way? Cut your losses and bail, 'cause nothing is worth giving up your life for. He's pretty obviously a mercenary in his attitude (I'd love to see them make that official too, it'd be a cool extra dimension to add to him).

As I've said in the past, I find it easier to point to specific decades as my favorites rather than the whole bloc of Showa. For me, my favorite Showa decade is the '60s and a BIG reason for that is Shinichi Sekizawa. I love Sekizawa's writing throughout the '60s - the way he constructs his plots, his characters, the tone...just awesome. ^_^

(Honda's direction, Ifukube's scores, and Tsubaraya's FX work are just icing on the cake. ^_^)
How bout Gigan being both opportunistic AND cowardly?

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

three wrote:
he-ba wrote:Gigan is cowardly? Maybe in Godzilla vs Megalon, but certainly not Godzilla vs Gigan
Doesn't he dip there, too, and let Ghidorah do the hard work? Gigan, man, always shirking responsibility.
Actually it was Gigan doing the hard work while Ghidorah laid back in the cut. After Godzilla regenerated and broke his arms, that's when he left and let Ghidorah face Goji.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I like the variety of monsters. The staff had some truely odd and creative ideas for kaiju, and they are some of our favorites. Another aspect was the acting. There are some moments when it's not that good, but overall, the actors did a great job. Even if the movie was a little goofy/ odd, they took the job seriously and made it entertaining.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.