Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by ernesth100 »

Watching a fight scene and Kong literally ninja rolled head first into a rock and I'm like laughing then like, oh wow, that really happened? :?
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Shobijin
Yojimbo

Post by Shobijin »

The Japanese version is funny and much better, IMHO, but it is still hard to watch. My latest viewing was better than how I felt watching it as a kid (the King Kong costume was a turn off).

This movie was a farce at worse and a satire at best. The shift in mood and theme from the first two films - serious horror/atomic allegory to comedy- is jolting. The only way to watch this film is to view it as a complete joke, intoxicated, or in an altered state of consciousness.

Someone way up thread mentioned that the original Kong movie had racist scenes in Africa. I certainly do not like condemning old movies for having a different culture than today, but the natives on Faroe Island in KKvG are wearing black face, so there's really no reason to attack the old movie and give this one the pass.

There are some good parts to this movie, but it is a shame that so many people have seen this (or want to see this) when it is soooo cheesy.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The shift in mood from the earlier movies is a lot less stark if you view this not as "the third Godzilla movie," but as "a kaiju movie made in 1962, in which Shinichi Sekizawa continued his project of making the genre more family-friendly and fantastical in tone."

And, no, "as a complete joke, intoxicated, or in an altered state of consciousness" are not the only ways to watch this flick (I mean, it is fun to watch in an altered state of consciousness, sure, but it's equally fun to watch sober). It is, as you (sort of) acknowledge, a satire; it is tongue-in-cheek, but still well-produced, dramatic and very engaging to a fair portion of its audience.

"Cheesy" means cheap, unpleasant, or blatantly inauthentic. KKvsG is none of these things, and its popularity is far from a shame.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I am frequently mystified by all of the people who supposedly 'even hated this film as a kid' (This is the third instance of me running into this this summer alone. Seriously) If that's true, I just feel sorry for you. Straight up.

I first saw this on TV in the '80s, and was glued to the screen just by the spectacle of it all. King Kong was King Kong. I wasn't old enough to care about Kong's appearance 28 years ago, and I certainly don't care now, despite recognizing it's "flaws" (I guess). I just have a really hard time imagining a kid sitting there as Kong and Godzilla clash, thinking to themselves "Man, that suit could be A LOT better". As a 4 year old, something like that wouldn't have even crossed my mind.

"I hated that Kong won" is also a bizarre excuse people use for disliking this film early on in their Godzilla-viewing life, because the movie (even Beck's cut) presents it as a tie, really. It's not like Kong pushes Godzilla off a cliff, pounds his chest triumphantly, and walks off.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I never really liked it as a kid. No idea why it just didn't click with me I also remember as a kid I thought Godzilla looked way to fat in this movie lol I feel like people that hate on this film just do it because it's so popular in the fandom like people do with Mothra vs Godzilla.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

I really enjoyed this film. It's campy but lovable. Top 10 for me :D
Resized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Goji wrote:28 years ago
1988 is also the year I first saw this movie! Got it on VHS for my 9th birthday!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Goji wrote:I am frequently mystified by all of the people who supposedly 'even hated this film as a kid' (This is the third instance of me running into this this summer alone. Seriously) If that's true, I just feel sorry for you. Straight up.

I first saw this on TV in the '80s, and was glued to the screen just by the spectacle of it all. King Kong was King Kong. I wasn't old enough to care about Kong's appearance 28 years ago, and I certainly don't care now, despite recognizing it's "flaws" (I guess). I just have a really hard time imagining a kid sitting there as Kong and Godzilla clash, thinking to themselves "Man, that suit could be A LOT better". As a 4 year old, something like that wouldn't have even crossed my mind.

"I hated that Kong won" is also a bizarre excuse people use for disliking this film early on in their Godzilla-viewing life, because the movie (even Beck's cut) presents it as a tie, really. It's not like Kong pushes Godzilla off a cliff, pounds his chest triumphantly, and walks off.
I as well never understood it. I feel some may genuinely not like it, and some just hate on it because it's "trendy" to hate on a good thing. There are much worse Godzilla films in existance, and the whole Kong suit argument.. I mean, I dont watch Godzilla films for extravagent special effects and state of the art suitmation.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

A lot of people seem to almost resent the intentional silliness of the movie. While that tone may not be to everyone's taste, it is not an objective strike against the movie in terms of quality.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

As I view the film, the satire and comedy make it all the more entertaining. We have some tense and exciting sequences as well, with the final battle between the monsters being energetic and thrilling.

It does seem "cheesy" compared to Gojira. However, Gojira was made to address an important issue. KK vs G is more of an adventure than a message.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'd go so far as to say that the satirical and comic elements are essential to the movie working. Sekizawa clearly recognized the crass absurdity of pairing King Kong and Godzilla, and approached the script the only way that wouldn't feel totally disingenuous, which was acknowledging that absurdity right on the face of it.

That's a big part of why I'm not remotely excited about Legendary's version; it seems certain that they're going to take it way too seriously.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

eabaker wrote:
Goji wrote:28 years ago
1988 is also the year I first saw this movie! Got it on VHS for my 9th birthday!
Haha, small world! Coincidently, it was also the first I owned on VHS, after having seen it on TV. That Goodtimes release was everrrywhere back in those days.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Godzilla vs. King Kong was... well, not quite the slam dunk I'd hoped, in that the characters felt less compelling than Raids Again, for me. However, the scope was vastly expanded- perhaps the largest-feeling Godzilla entry yet (or else, just beneath the original), and the monster fight was FAR more entertaining than anything Raids Again gave us. Thank goodness- I'd hate for a title match this big to be a letdown! :)

The plot is... honestly, a bit of a snooze up until the monsters show up. It's fairly thing throughout- more of a contrivance to link the set-pieces together. It's a shame, because I think this keeps the film from ascending to true classic status; it will be fondly remembered for its achievement... but it could have been counted among the very best if the story was as strong as the production.

I'm not kidding about the bland protagonists; two guys, two girlfriends, one of who is a sister to the other guy... there's a hint of sweet romance after the train scene, and the occasional touches of distinguishing characteristics, but... they mostly serve an interchangeable role in the plot. The most interesting of all is the weaselly head of the advertising agency, and his comic buffoonery can at least be interesting to look at (I'm wondering if Mothra vs. Godzilla: Battle for Earth's evil executive was modeled on this guy), but he's so much of a cartoon character that he doesn't have any 'character' to speak of. Various islanders are... as islanders were, in 50s and 60s movies... and that's about it. Who cares? We're here for the kaiju- especially in this film!

For such a simple effect, the giant octopus is actually a fairly effective creature, and his size is well-portrayed. It's only when the natives throw things at him that cast shadows against the bluescreen, and when Kong wrestles with an obvious dummy, that the effect is less-than-special. But overall, as an introduction to the kaiju portion of the film, the octopus grounds things in a nice sense of verisimilitude... perhaps necessary, when the giant ape of the film is so unlike a real animal.

'Cause let's face it, Kong looks like garbage. This is neither a new or controversial observation; the monkey suit just isn't great, and doesn't even approximate the look of the stop motion character, much less the real-life creatures. And, scaled up as he is, Kong has trouble finding something large enough to climb. Still, flaws aside, Kong is well-acted and a dynamic presence in the fights; it's less about appearance and more about personality. The performance is good, and that allows the audience the necessary amount of suspension of disbelief. And when Kong- bullied a bit and beat around by the atomic breath that really gives Godzilla an edge over pretty much all other kaiju that aren't similarly-equiped- gets his lightning charge and gains the ability to fight back, it's a genuinely exciting moment; the underdog, empowered to fight back against his oppressor at last!

Godzilla's return is a nice bit of continuity from Raids Again, but it is very protracted... and he is given very little to do other than fighting Kong, so in many ways, he is simply a 2-dimensional antagonist here; more an obstacle than a character. His signature glowing fins look great in animation, and his face is both better and worse (at least less goofy!) then the Raids Again suit.

There are a handful of other notable effects in the film. The iceberg, flashing and crumbling, is pretty effective, and the submarine shots, while slightly less-so, are well done. (The English-speakers on the sub aren't even half-bad, for the most part). The melting tanks are probably the weakest of the bunch, but even so, not terrible. The scenes of construction, digging the pit, are fairly good. And the craggy cliffs of Pharaoh Island are nicely-expansive, a great-looking location complemented by large sets. (I do like that Kong's opening gambit against the octopus is to rip the gate meant to keep him out casually aside and throw it at the monster, without even a token display of difficulty; yeah, that gate was really protecting you, guys...) The Mount Fuji set looked pretty good, and nicely expansive, while yet another crumbling castle was well-portrayed (if perhaps just a touch less successfully than Raids Again).

The music is recognizable and jazzy- not instantly classic, as Gojira and Mothra was, but enough to stick in your head. Nothing to write home about, exactly, but more memorable than mediocre.

Overall, King Kong vs. Godzilla was a fun film, particularly in its latter half, and a visual treat, but a little thin. It has the makings of one of the best kaiju films of all time- and certainly has one of the best battles. But the lack of effort in setting it up, in writing and characterization and plot, hold it back from being all that it could have been. Still, everything that's there is pretty darn impressive, and this is a memorable, fun spectacle... if you don't mind slogging past a slow opening.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

I really like the Kong suit, as bad as it may be. I haven't seen the Japanese version yet, though I need too.
Resized Image

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Coobzilla03 wrote:I really like the Kong suit, as bad as it may be. I haven't seen the Japanese version yet, though I need too.
You're missing out my friend, PM me if you want a link.
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Not afraid to say that seeing the Japanese version bumped this film into my top 10. It's such an enjoyable film, especially with the comedic tone throughout.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I used to think King Kong vs Godzilla was one of the worst in the series before I saw the Japanese version. Now it's in my top 15.

Amazing how different the two versions are.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Justinmc
Young Farmer

Post by Justinmc »

Hi!

So, what's the best way of seeing the original Japanese version? I'm in the UK and we've just had the Universal blu ray released.
I'm tempted to get the version issued in the partwork in Japan. Would this be worth it? I know it won't have English subs but at least I'll get some snazzy posters etc.

Any other options out there? Maybe a version with English subs somewhere?

thanks!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Currently watching the Japanese cut of this, will post my thoughts on it later-
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Godzilla Mothra
Yojimbo

Post by Godzilla Mothra »

I can't even bring myself to watch the Universal/U.S. version of this movie. The replaced music alone ruins the mood, let alone the added scenes. The Japanese version is SO much better.