Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Talkback Thread #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by edgaguirus »

I think that wouldn't have sat well with American audiences.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

BARAGONZILLA wrote:You know in the 90s they were going to make a sequel in which Godzilla killed king Kong. Why didn't they do that? :cry: It would have been beautiful for fans who wished the double ending was true.
Where exactly did you hear that he was going to "kill" him? Nothing of the sort was ever discussed. I'm almost positive you made this up.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Love Kong, but IMO, Kong needs to stay out of the Godzilla Universe.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Killswitch wrote:Love Kong, but IMO, Kong needs to stay out of the Godzilla Universe.
Kong battling Godzilla is slightly less realistic these days. In the early Showa Era, that was somewhat feasible and went along with the universe. How would such a battle even play out with the modern versions of the character? Electricity won't be enough to save Kong this time. Maybe if they battled in a city and Kong used buildings for cover against Godzilla's breath and slowly worn him down.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Killswitch wrote:Godzilla Universe
The Hanna Barbera Godzilla/Steven Universe crossover nobody asked for.

Anyways, this movie is awesome and I know more technical details about it than any of you plebs. #ragonee

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

kamilleblu wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Love Kong, but IMO, Kong needs to stay out of the Godzilla Universe.
Kong battling Godzilla is slightly less realistic these days. In the early Showa Era, that was somewhat feasible and went along with the universe. How would such a battle even play out with the modern versions of the character? Electricity won't be enough to save Kong this time. Maybe if they battled in a city and Kong used buildings for cover against Godzilla's breath and slowly worn him down.
Well, in the unlikely event of a new Kong/Godzilla throw down, they wouldn't necessarily need to stick to the most recent incarnations of the characters. They've both been reinvented so many times, what harm would one more reinvention do?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

King Kong v. Godzilla: Dawn of Tako

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

Goji wrote:
BARAGONZILLA wrote:You know in the 90s they were going to make a sequel in which Godzilla killed king Kong. Why didn't they do that? :cry: It would have been beautiful for fans who wished the double ending was true.
Where exactly did you hear that he was going to "kill" him? Nothing of the sort was ever discussed. I'm almost positive you made this up.

If its made up. I didn't do it.
This is the beginning of the end.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Of course it's made up. Do you take everything you hear in random YouTube videos by nobodies as gospel? All that we ever knew about the project was that Godzilla and Kong were going to battle each other in a new film..That's all.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

BARAGONZILLA wrote:
Goji wrote:
BARAGONZILLA wrote:You know in the 90s they were going to make a sequel in which Godzilla killed king Kong. Why didn't they do that? It would have been beautiful for fans who wished the double ending was true.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=eNQN7tZMkA0
If its made up. I didn't do it.
BARAGONZILLA wrote:You know in the 90s they were going to make a sequel in which Godzilla killed king Kong. Why didn't they do that? It would have been beautiful for fans who wished the double ending was true.

I'm fixing this bull shit right fucking now.
I apologize for this bull crap. This is the last time I am letting this go on.
This is the beginning of the end.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Move out of the way, Vaporwave, we've got a new new genre of weird music!

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by Creature22 »

That... that is amazing.

Some time ago I edited that same trailer with the 1933 Kong soundtrack. Have a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2y-fqJe1ik

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I like that.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Piccolo
Ronin

Post by Piccolo »

The Japanese version of this film with English subtitles is my holy grail of Godzilla films. Even the butchered American version is good. It pretty much set the template for Godzilla films for the future, dispensing with the more serious tone from the first two movies for monster battles and lively action.

I think the Godzilla suit in this film is probably my favorite.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Piccolo wrote:I think the Godzilla suit in this film is probably my favorite.
If I have a favorite, it's probably the original, but the KKvsG suit is a pretty solid second place for me, if not tied for first.

Although, ask me again tomorrow, and I may favor the 89 suit.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I like this movie's suit until it look straight forward (at the camera)... the face looks kind of smashed and frog-like from that angle. Still, I think it's one of the most 'classic' Godzilla looks, and from the side (which, to be fair, is how it's seen in the movie for the majority of the time) it's very good.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

I watched GVKK again last night. the part in the dub where the army is in the command tent and the soldier's voice changes mid sentence when relaying G's location is probably the funniest thing I have heard all week.
Godzilla

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

g2vd wrote:I watched GVKK again last night. the part in the dub where the army is in the command tent and the soldier's voice changes mid sentence when relaying G's location is probably the funniest thing I have heard all week.
Godzilla's nearing Hokkai-yaddo!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

"GvKK"? Never heard of it.