Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by eabaker »

scottzilla wrote:I just can't take it seriously
Convenient, then, that you're not supposed to take most of it seriously. With the exception of the Godzilla b-plot (because Kong is very much the a-plot until the two finally come together), the emphasis is on pretty broad comedy/satire, although the American cut does sometimes obscure this intent.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

^ That's fair. I got the impression from all the cut ins that they were trying to make it something it wasn't.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I just want the uncut Japanese version on dvd, the American version sucks.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Out of curiosity how many people on this site have seen the uncut Japanese version? I'm not trying to be snobby here, but I realized that there isn't an official release here for the original cut and even then still it's hard to come by.

The Japanese original is way better, there's no bullshit about Godzilla being dumb and the characters are better developed. There's some added snippets of Godzilla and Kong and in addition there's some completely removed scenes that enhance the threat of Godzilla.
I have and i disagree, solely because of the soundtrack
For example, when the octopus attacks and Kong explodes out of the water after getting blown up, those scenes play way better in the English dub with the added Creature score.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Check out this old pic from 1977. Its from the re-release of King Kong vs Godzilla. You have actors in Godzilla and King Kong suits handing out pamphlets. That Godzilla suit was the same one used 2 years earlier in Terror of Mechagodzilla. That "King Kong" suit looks like something you would see at a used car dealership sale promo.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That is an insult to used car dealerships. They would never be caught dead with that thing. :)

(EDIT: Actually, it kinda look like a Yeti from the Troughton years of Doctor Who...)
Last edited by Zarm on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

This is a film I would say is good, but not great. However, it is also a super important film for setting the tone of the series going forward. This is the first time we are really to regard the monsters as silly (due to slapstick antics) as well as being human-like (in terms of the performances of the suit actor). This anthropomorphising of the monsters would continue for the majority of the Showa series.

The human scenes are decent as well. However, a lot of other Showa films surpass it in that area.

I can also actually tolerate the American version, surprisingly enough.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Finally got to see the Japanese version of this, and MAN what an improvement over the American version.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:Finally got to see the Japanese version of this, and MAN what an improvement over the American version.
Absolutely. The lack of incredibly dry exposition makes a huge difference. Though I miss the strange pronunciation of 'Tarzan.' :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Finally got to see the Japanese version of this, and MAN what an improvement over the American version.
Absolutely. The lack of incredibly dry exposition makes a huge difference. Though I miss the strange pronunciation of 'Tarzan.' :)
I found the most impactful change was the score. What a difference it makes, not having that (lovingly annoying) Creature From the Black Lagoon theme pop up every few moments. I LOVED the score for this film.

But I will agree with you about the "Tarzan" bit haha.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:
I found the most impactful change was the score. What a difference it makes, not having that (lovingly annoying) Creature From the Black Lagoon theme pop up every few moments. I LOVED the score for this film.

The score works much better, the pace works much better, and by and large the comedy feels more purposeful.

Other than, obviously, "Tarz'n," the thing I like about the American version is the way that the submarine scenes are re-structured; there's more tension to the way they play in the U.S. cut. But, overall, the Japanese version is far superior.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:

The score works much better, the pace works much better, and by and large the comedy feels more purposeful.

Other than, obviously, "Tarz'n," the thing I like about the American version is the way that the submarine scenes are re-structured; there's more tension to the way they play in the U.S. cut. But, overall, the Japanese version is far superior.
It truly is far superior. I'm glad I finally got to see it. I'll agree with you about the American cut of the Submarine scenes.

I really can't get over the score. I absolutely loved it. I have to find a way to track it down.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

It truly is far superior. I'm glad I finally got to see it. I'll agree with you about the American cut of the Submarine scenes.

I really can't get over the score. I absolutely loved it. I have to find a way to track it down.
La-La Land Records released the Japanese score on American CD in 2006.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

A very distinct kaiju bootlegger (big in the '90s but not so much now) is responsible for the garbage subtitles on most copies of the Japanese version. The German Blu-Ray release has accurate subs, they're just not English...

Honestly I didn't think much of the Japanese version until I saw the film with accurate subtitles. The jokes are more clever and the exposition makes sense. I think the common English subtitle track is mostly made up or based on the American version.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:A very distinct kaiju bootlegger (big in the '90s but not so much now) is responsible for the garbage subtitles on most copies of the Japanese version. The German Blu-Ray release has accurate subs, they're just not English...

Honestly I didn't think much of the Japanese version until I saw the film with accurate subtitles. The jokes are more clever and the exposition makes sense. I think the common English subtitle track is mostly made up or based on the American version.
Just out of curiosity, how are the subtitles garbage?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Just out of curiosity, how are the subtitles garbage?
I've always heard they're just completely made up at many points and not that accurate to the Japanese dialogue. I still find that they diverge pretty drastically from the dub script, and I personally still prefer watching the Japanese version with bad fansubs than watching the US version.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Yeah they reportedly just made up lines. You can probably ask SpaceHunterM for more detailed information, they were the first person I saw ever mention it and give an example of it.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

King of the Monsters wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Just out of curiosity, how are the subtitles garbage?
I've always heard they're just completely made up at many points and not that accurate to the Japanese dialogue. I still find that they diverge pretty drastically from the dub script, and I personally still prefer watching the Japanese version with bad fansubs than watching the US version.
Trust me, the "translation" hurts the overall experience of the film. You miss out on the slier wisecracks and gems like the pop culture references to Laurel & Hardy and Popeye.
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Yeah they reportedly just made up lines. You can probably ask SpaceHunterM for more detailed information, they were the first person I saw ever mention it and give an example of it.

Here's a brief example. You don't have to be a master of Japanese to discern that what's being said in the VDK script is just dead wrong. This brief section of full of basic stuff like "氷" (kōri), "北極" (hokkyoku) and "つまらん" (tsumaran) that pertains to the plot. I don't know how the subbers missed this.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I've been aware of the poor "guess subs" for some time that are still in circulation to this day, though I am curious as to where one can go for the more accurate translation. I remember hearing that the subs supplied by Tokyo Monsters way back when were a lot more accurate (As I believe Jim Ballard is a Japanese speaker), but I can't clarify. I also know that German DVD has an official proper translation, though in German, of course.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Dang. How does one tell if one has an accurate copy or these made-up versions?

Maranatha!