Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by LiquidG »

Just rewatched the Japanese version. Damn good movie, gets better everytime I watch it.
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Goji wrote:I don't remember seeing any monkeys in this movie..
There was a big ol' lizard tho... Until it got tossed off a mountain
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Oh yeah, by the 'corn guy'. Hehe, he 'Mario 64-Bowser-ed' that thing off a cliff if I'm not mistaken... :P
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Giga Kaiju wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Oh yeah, by the 'corn guy'. Hehe, he 'Mario 64-Bowser-ed' that thing off a cliff if I'm not mistaken... :P
:lol: yeah xD then it pissed Kong off, who started a rock slide to scare off the fiends who killed off his lil lizard buddy
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

And then his buddy shot the thing for good measure. Man, talk about overkill.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

King Kong is just a big dude.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I still wish Universal would stop being dicks and either release the Japanese version of this film or license it out to someone who will (like Criterion or Shout! Factory).

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

How are they "being dicks" because they're only appealing to the casual market? This is Universal we're talking about. They're not going to cater to the extremely niche market of hardcore Godzilla fans when they can make just as much money off of a barebones home video release that only includes the English version.

And to sublicense it, another company needs to show interest and approach them. It happened with Goodtimes in the '80s, and it can probably happen again if another company actually shows interest. Cult films are sublicensed all the time by companies like Shout Factory and Blue Underground.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:I still wish Universal would stop being dicks and either release the Japanese version of this film or license it out to someone who will (like Criterion or Shout! Factory).
Well, obviously with Godzilla vs Kong coming out in 2020, the chances of seeing a "ultimate edition" is higher.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:I still wish Universal would stop being dicks and either release the Japanese version of this film or license it out to someone who will (like Criterion or Shout! Factory).
Not wanting to spend money for an alternative print of one of their films just for a niche DVD market doesn't make them dicks

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

lol there's no complete photochemical restoration of the Japanese cut. If Universal was to invest in it, they'd have to do their own because there's no way they'd let Toho's shit slide.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Space Hunter M wrote:lol there's no complete photochemical restoration of the Japanese cut. If Universal was to invest in it, they'd have to do their own because there's no way they'd let Toho's shit slide.
Are they incompetent, unable to devote the money to it, or just don't care?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

kamilleblu wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:lol there's no complete photochemical restoration of the Japanese cut. If Universal was to invest in it, they'd have to do their own because there's no way they'd let Toho's shit slide.
Why should they care about the Japanese version? Universal has no reason too since it'll be a niche release

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Godzillian wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:
Why should they care about the Japanese version? Universal has no reason too since it'll be a niche release
I meant Toho and the quality of the their releases.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Godzillian wrote: Not wanting to spend money for an alternative print of one of their films just for a niche DVD market doesn't make them dicks
Godzillian wrote:Why should they care about the Japanese version? Universal has no reason too since it'll be a niche release
..Yeah, I prett much already said both of these things. This seems to be a reoccurring thing with you.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Universal is not a ass for not dishing out the Money for the Japanese Version we are a niche market.
Godzilla

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

This incarnation of Godzilla has to be the most patient I've seen yet ruthless.

-He awakens from the ice and heads towards land. He's met by the military and is fired upon. He causes them to retreat when he blasts one tank with his Atomic Breath, and destroys the base with some tail swings and a little more Atomic Breaths. Clearly he just wanted to be left alone.

-Next he's just walking about exploring a valley, where a train was stopped and passengers evacuated. He kicked the trains aside, but other than that kept on walking.

-Later we find the military setting a trap for Godzilla as he's just enjoying his stroll. Not knowing they have the bully King Kong heading towards him. The two meet up, Godzilla roars at him and does his arm flapping to intimidate Kong, even fires off an Atomic Breath as a threat display. King Kong just throws a large boulder at Goji, although he evades it easily. Kong throws another boulder which hits Goji's belly. Causing him to retaliate by firing off an Atomic Breath towards the ground, setting it aflame and burning Kong a bit, which scares Kong to retreat back. Goji then leaves.

-Afterwards, the military sets another trap, a ditch. Goji is again, enjoying life, just strolling around, unknowingly towards the ditch the military made. The military set a flame barrier that leads towards their ditch, and prevents Goji from heading anywhere else. He clearly confused as to what's happening as he looks around. He takes a step and falls all the way into the ditch. Before he could process what just happened the military blows it up. Strangely enough he's able to climb out of it. He makes his way towards power lines blocking his path to wherever he's trying to go. The military power it up and shock him, causing Goji great discomfort. He tries to find another way past them but decides to take a detour.

-Lastly we find Godzilla climbing a mountain, far away from civilization. Enjoying himself, playing with the dirt, being at one with nature. He spots the military carrying King Kong, and they drop him in Godzilla's path. Causing the two to collide and fall down the mountain. Kong recovers first and runs up the mountain, taunting Godzilla and proceeds to hide behind a large rock as Godzilla passes by. As Godzilla looks for the one who knocked him down the mountain, Kong grabs his tail, starling Godzilla. Godzilla then tries to escape by climbing mountains, he don't want no trouble. Kong loses his grip and falls back. Godzilla roars, and does his arm swing as a warning. However, Godzilla is met with a boulder to the chest. Kong throws another buy Godzilla uses his tail and sends it back at Kong. Godzilla again tries to run away. King Kong, being the dick that he is, kicks a boulder at the back of Godzilla's head. Aggravated, Godzilla fires off an Atomic Breath, burning Kong a bit. Kong, angered tackles Godzilla and doesn't let go. Godzilla tries clawing at Kong, trying to get him off. Again he uses his Atomic Breath to get Kong to back off.

Kong refuses to learn and tackles Godzilla to the floor and they tumble down the mountain, though Kong refuses to let go as they fall. Kong wails on Godzilla's head while Godzilla tries to get him off of him. King Kong rolls Godzilla off further down the mountain. He mocks a fallen Godzilla and throws a rock at him. As Godzilla finally gets his bearings and gets up, Kong throws a larger boulder past Godzilla and does a series of rolls to get behind Godzilla, this doesn't end up working as he rolls head first into a boulder. He is knocked out. Godzilla decides to knock a few small boulders on Kong to see if he's alive and just looks at him when Kong doesn't put up a fight, but notices head movements. So Godzilla turns around, back exposed, and kicks up some more rocks at Kong while slamming Kong with his tail, while doing his arm slap.

Kong retaliates by trying to grab Godzilla's tail, but Godzilla quickly turns around, dodges and headbutts Kong away. Godzilla turns away again, Kong again attempts to grab Godzilla's tail but is thwarted when Godzilla kangaroo kicks Kong down the mountains and head first into a boulder. Godzilla kicks up larger boulders and begins to bury Kong who isn't as responsive this time. He tries to get up, but Godzilla isn't having any of that, and begins to slam Kong's head with his tail. At this point Kong isn't moving anymore. Godzilla fires his Atomic Breath and sets the area aflame.

Kong gets his electrical power up and we know how it ends here.

Kingoji's behavior was really peculiar.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Maybe seen he was in a cryogen-state-esque he was adapting to the surroundings? Interesting POV about the way he acted on the movie though.

You could argue that Kong did more harm to the humans than Godzilla did even...

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

Giga Kaiju wrote:Maybe seen he was in a cryogen-state-esque he was adapting to the surroundings? Interesting POV about the way he acted on the movie though.

You could argue that Kong did more harm to the humans than Godzilla did even...
Possibly.

Kong really did do more harm to humans.

My headcanon is that Godzilla 55, 62, and 64 are the same Goji.

>55 Goji causes chaos after emerging, kills an Anguirus and gets burried in snow/ice.

>62 Goji emerges from the snow/ice, doesn't want to fight King Kong, probably guilt from the brutal execution of Anguirus, but ends up kicking his ass until Kong gets his electrical powers and they both fall into the ocean.

>64 Goji emerges from sand after getting caught up in a typhoon and kills Mothra due to bad mood, gets webbed up and tossed into the ocean by her kids.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Scarlet Spider wrote: My headcanon is that Godzilla 55, 62, and 64 are the same Goji.
Uh, pretty sure that's official canon.
Scarlet Spider wrote: >62 Goji emerges from the snow/ice, doesn't want to fight King Kong, probably guilt from the brutal execution of Anguirus
what