Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by UltimateDitto »

I have to admit, this was a fun movie to watch, the main characters was alright, not my favorite main characters though, Mr. Tako was enjoyable as was the Translator fella.

I don't know why but I laughed so hard when they blew up Kong on the raft, it was so sudden ya know, that's a highlight for me lol

The fight with Godzilla was fun to watch, I laughed when Kong did a barrel roll and went head first into a rock, I wasn't surprised to see him trash Godzilla after receiving the electric boost, but still a nice fight overall.

There were somethings that bugged me like how the characters put Kong on the raft in the first place, how did the tribe not notice them put him on the raft, i doubt they would let them take him, was he on the raft the whole time? Why did that lady waste a good plate of meatloaf?!

I must say this movie was a fun watch and makes a nice Friday flick, rev up some snacks and your good to go, i'm happy I was able to watch it finally, I give it an A!
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Post by PineappleProducer »

UltimateDitto wrote: There were somethings that bugged me like how the characters put Kong on the raft in the first place, how did the tribe not notice them put him on the raft, i doubt they would let them take him, was he on the raft the whole time?
The thing that gets me is how did they manage to get him on a raft in the first place?

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

^Exactly!^
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

PineappleProducer wrote:
UltimateDitto wrote: There were somethings that bugged me like how the characters put Kong on the raft in the first place, how did the tribe not notice them put him on the raft, i doubt they would let them take him, was he on the raft the whole time?
The thing that gets me is how did they manage to get him on a raft in the first place?
As I got older this started to bug me more and more. How in such a brief period did they make a big raft, and then get Kong on it? A little cutaway just showing the raft being made by the natives would've done it.

Another problem I have with the movie is how I wish Kong and Godzilla's respective destruction scenes were a bit longer. Godzilla's attack on the artic base early on is great, but ends too quickly. Later, when Kong is rampaging through Tokyo, while he destroys a train, he kind of just runs through and really doesn't do much else. If these parts were just elaborated on a bit the film would've been much better.

Also just to answer something on the past page, regarding ticket sales:
Japan does something really weird where ticket sales are counted towards the record and not just net income. As a result, children's tickets, which are essentially half off, get factored in the same way as normal adult tickets. This means Shin Gojira might have made more money, but not sold more tickets (due to probably less kids seeing the movie). IIRC Shin G is the movie that made the most domestic sales.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Chrispy_G wrote:Now, I believe there might be some caveats to this list...as I THINK that all of the films above Shin Godzilla on the list have the benefits of having theatrical re-releases which of course boosted their ticket sales....and since this is before the days of home video....a theatrical re-release was a much bigger and more vital piece of a film's total revenue. Nowadays the money that might be spent buying tickets for repeat viewings in theaters instead goes to purchasing DVDs/BDs/Digital Downloads.
Yes. Alot of the early films were re-released.

Here is the list with the original numbers. Original meaning from the initial release and not including re-releases.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_ ... erformance

Although the lifetime numbers are included in fine print underneath the initial numbers.

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Goji wrote:What's "Godzilla vs. King Kong"?
The alternate version of King Kong vs. Godzilla, where Godzilla wins at the end, of course :P
Now now, don't lie to those who still believe that myth.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Don't mean to revive this thread but I thought this was a cool pic.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Don't mean to revive this thread but I thought this was a cool pic.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEdSitBXsAENAqQ.jpg:large
It's cool to revive if you got something worth reviving it over.

I really like Behind the Scenes pics like the above. Especially if they are out of context :P

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Don't mean to revive this thread but I thought this was a cool pic.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEdSitBXsAENAqQ.jpg:large
This just begs for a "caption this".

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

"Well, we're never going to find my contact now..."
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Godzilla: Hold on a minute. I need to take a crap. Ahh. That's the stuff
King Kong (looking at Eiji Tsuburaya offscreen): Really? This wasn't in my contract.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

^(Godzilla and Kong in mid battle, but all of a sudden Godzilla stops)

Godzilla: You see the size of that chicken?
King Kong: (Turns around) What?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Godzilla to Kong: "Cmon bro, she ain't worth it. Let her go."

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

123go
Samurai

Post by 123go »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Goji wrote:What's "Godzilla vs. King Kong"?
The alternate version of King Kong vs. Godzilla, where Godzilla wins at the end, of course :P
If only.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Out of curiosity how many people on this site have seen the uncut Japanese version? I'm not trying to be snobby here, but I realized that there isn't an official release here for the original cut and even then still it's hard to come by.

The Japanese original is way better, there's no bullshit about Godzilla being dumb and the characters are better developed. There's some added snippets of Godzilla and Kong and in addition there's some completely removed scenes that enhance the threat of Godzilla.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Out of curiosity how many people on this site have seen the uncut Japanese version? I'm not trying to be snobby here, but I realized that there isn't an official release here for the original cut and even then still it's hard to come by.
I have...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Out of curiosity how many people on this site have seen the uncut Japanese version? I'm not trying to be snobby here, but I realized that there isn't an official release here for the original cut and even then still it's hard to come by.

The Japanese original is way better, there's no bullshit about Godzilla being dumb and the characters are better developed. There's some added snippets of Godzilla and Kong and in addition there's some completely removed scenes that enhance the threat of Godzilla.
Y'know, in the days before official subbed releases, I feel like it was expected that most Godzilla fans tried to hunt down everything on the bootleg market. Now that most of the titles are available in proper versions Stateside, I wonder if more people are willing to let the exceptions - like KKvsG - slip by.

Back in the day, this was one of the first ones that I made a point of finding on subbed boot, because of the severity of the differences.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:Y'know, in the days before official subbed releases, I feel like it was expected that most Godzilla fans tried to hunt down everything on the bootleg market. Now that most of the titles are available in proper versions Stateside, I wonder if more people are willing to let the exceptions - like KKvsG - slip by.

Back in the day, this was one of the first ones that I made a point of finding on subbed boot, because of the severity of the differences.
I can only speak for me- but when I was watching dubs, it didn't matter; once I decided I wanted to see the originals, no exceptions would do. :) That said, if Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (and at the time I was collecting, Return of Godzilla and Godzilla Millennium) had been more readily available, there's a chance- a very minor chance- I might've let it slide. But as you say, the differences seemed too major for that. (As it is, I still grind my teeth at the lack of voiceover OR grpahic for the Godzilla-and-Rodan-talking scene in the blu-ray release of vs. Gigan, and frown at the spliced-on English credits for a number of the showa releases).

Maranatha!

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I'm sure most on the forum have but it doesn't really say much when most of the Japanese versions online and on bootlegs have bad fansubs.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Universal and Toho seriously need to bargain with one another for a legal release of the original unedited version of the film to be released in North America.