Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by Giga Kaiju »

^ You can bet on that IT WILL. :P
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

That Kong painting is outstanding.

Anyway, watched this one again today as part of a mini marathon with a friend (along with Biollante, Mothra vs G '64, and Ghidrah--all favorites of mine), and I feel like it just might be my overall favorite Godzilla movie at this point. Absolutely top tier at least.
Last edited by Jomei on Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

It is truly one fun one, regardless of what anyone thinks.

Some years, when I watched this for the first time, I was seeing with family and friends and they were invested into the story-action and overall movie as much as me, and they weren't that much of fans of Godzilla or Kong anyway.

If that doesn't say how much of entertaining this movie is, I don't know what to say...
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

NebulaMSpacehunter
Samurai

Post by NebulaMSpacehunter »

^^^^ Wow, great work on that painting; really captures the fun, colorful vibe of the film and all of Toho's 60's kaiju films.

Biollante_lover
Ronin

Post by Biollante_lover »

It's the 'Batman v Superman' of the Godzilla franchise, I love it. even though they made Godzilla's weakness electricity when he was previously immune to it.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

<(Snip!)>
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

My first Goji film. I think I saw the English variant streaming online somewhere...
That was the version I saw first, and I still loved it! I bought a $5 DVD of it at a Vintage Stock at some point last year, but I still haven't watched it again.

I thought it was a pretty great flick: the American version is cheesy, and worse than the Japanese version, but not THAT bad. It's still pretty enjoyable. Then again, it could be my nostalgia talking...

I need to see it again...

American version gets 3 giant octopi out of 5.

Godzilla should have won though. He's the King of the Monsters, for Serizawa's sake! What the skreeonk?!
Guess Kong won THAT popularity poll, but not this time... 2020 will settle the score, yes...
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Even Superman loses now and then. Godzilla movies would be boring if he always won and never lost or draw one in a while.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Living Corpse wrote:Even Superman loses now and then. Godzilla movies would be boring if he always won and never lost or draw one in a while.
I agree, I thought it was clever back when he was defeated in the Showa movies, and who knows, Godzilla could have easily dragged Kong down anytime :huge:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Well Godzilla was the "villain" of the film so to speak and who doesn't want to root for the underdog in Kongs case?

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

It seemed like if the battle kept on water, then Godzilla could have won. But since after the long fight, the worned out Kong and Godzilla then couldn't have continued, therefore, the latter either left or went unconcious while Kong drifted away from any more harm.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Is it possible this is the most "underrated" Godzilla film, despite having the two most iconic giant monsters in it?
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I wouldn't call it underrated. It's an entertaining film with humor, action, and satisfying battle between two iconic kaiju. Some may think it's a little goofy because of the humor, but the satire is amusing.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Cookson wrote:Is it possible this is the most "underrated" Godzilla film, despite having the two most iconic giant monsters in it?
Underrated? With it being one of the most well known and most popular Godzilla movies ever?

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Underrated. Hmm. I don't think. It is important in the sense that it introduced the usual VS formula of the following entries in the era but it is also fun on its own right. It may be goofy, but that's one of its strongest points.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Giga Kaiju wrote:It seemed like if the battle kept on water, then Godzilla could have won. But since after the long fight, the worned out Kong and Godzilla then couldn't have continued, therefore, the latter either left or went unconcious while Kong drifted away from any more harm.
I like to think Kong didn't beat Godzilla...he survived Godzilla :g2k:
Monsters are the real people.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Cookson wrote:Is it possible this is the most "underrated" Godzilla film, despite having the two most iconic giant monsters in it?

Nope. Not even remotely. It's quite popular.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Jatahaxe wrote:
Giga Kaiju wrote:It seemed like if the battle kept on water, then Godzilla could have won. But since after the long fight, the worned out Kong and Godzilla then couldn't have continued, therefore, the latter either left or went unconcious while Kong drifted away from any more harm.
I like to think Kong didn't beat Godzilla...he survived Godzilla :g2k:
That's a way of putting it. Considering that Kong is thinking animal as the movie said, it isn't that far to connect the dots of water not having that much effect on fiery damages caused by Godzilla. But then again, before any else could happen, he left.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I'm currently watching the Japanese cut and wow is the octopus scene dull without the Revenge of the Creature theme added…

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I'm currently watching the Japanese cut and wow is the octopus scene dull without the Revenge of the Creature theme added…
Huh? I think the duel is dull because of the Creature from the Black Lagoon music. They should have never changed Ifukube's score because his music brings energy to the fights.