Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by Scarlet Spider »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Scarlet Spider wrote: My headcanon is that Godzilla 55, 62, and 64 are the same Goji.
Uh, pretty sure that's official canon.
Scarlet Spider wrote: >62 Goji emerges from the snow/ice, doesn't want to fight King Kong, probably guilt from the brutal execution of Anguirus
what
HEAD canon. I don't count anything past 64 as the same Goji.

He killed Anguirus in the 55 movie...

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

Scarlet Spider wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Scarlet Spider wrote: My headcanon is that Godzilla 55, 62, and 64 are the same Goji.
Uh, pretty sure that's official canon.
Scarlet Spider wrote: >62 Goji emerges from the snow/ice, doesn't want to fight King Kong, probably guilt from the brutal execution of Anguirus
what
HEAD canon. I don't count anything past 64 as the same Goji.

What?

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

It's like I'm talking to a wall.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

In my head cannon godzilla is an actor in Brooklyn New York and is the spokesman for a construction company and all his films are commercials he's done.

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

Dannybeane wrote:In my head cannon godzilla is an actor in Brooklyn New York and is the spokesman for a construction company and all his films are commercials he's done.
That's nice..?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Scarlet Spider wrote: HEAD canon. I don't count anything past 64 as the same Goji.

That's too bad, because officially it's the same Godzilla from 1955-1975. The only other Godzilla besides him is Minilla and 54.

And yes, I know that. What I'm stumped on is why on Earth Godzilla would feel any sort of guilt from killing Anguirus.

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Scarlet Spider wrote: HEAD canon. I don't count anything past 64 as the same Goji.

That's too bad, because officially it's the same Godzilla from 1955-1975. The only other Godzilla besides him is Minilla and 54.

And yes, I know that. What I'm stumped on is why on Earth Godzilla would feel any sort of guilt from killing Anguirus.
I'm aware of the canon and acknowledge them. Just a small head canon I had since I was always fond of the first four Showa Godzillas before they went friendlier appearance wise.

I mostly got the idea from his reluctance to fight King Kong until provoked, usually opting to scare him away or just flee. Throughout the movie he kinda just wanted to explore his surroundings and be left alone.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

I don't know, to me Godzilla came off as a childish dick in this movie. he was needlessly cruel to Kong and was prone to mocking him at almost every turn.

Seriously look at this asshole
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

LiquidG wrote:I don't know, to me Godzilla came off as a childish dick in this movie. he was needlessly cruel to Kong and was prone to mocking him at almost every turn.

https://45.media.tumblr.com/dce625ec81d ... r1_500.gif
Huh, never thought of it that way. Interesting thought. The most prominent mocking he did was when he had his back turned to Kong and then kangaroo kicked him down the mountain when Kong tried to charge him.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

It almost seemed like Godzilla was full of himself and got cocky after he beat Anguirus in the last film. In KKVG it's like he's going "I beat one kaiju so I can beat you too!"

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LiquidG wrote:I don't know, to me Godzilla came off as a childish dick in this movie. he was needlessly cruel to Kong and was prone to mocking him at almost every turn.

Never thought of him being childish, instead just a cocky laid-back douchebag :lol: It's great.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

GigaBowserG wrote:

Never thought of him being childish, instead just a cocky laid-back douchebag :lol: It's great.
Well childishness and douchbagary go hand in hand most of the time. The way he goaded Kong throughout the film reminded me of some school yard bully. This is one of the reasons why King Kong vs Godzilla is one of my favorite films in the franchise, Godzilla is top notch here, and just oozes personality.
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

By the time he met Kong, and fought him once, he was getting ' the hang of it' hence why he was acting like a jerk at times, hehe.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The original Japanese version was intentionally designed to be a tongue-in-check experience, which is why when they edited the film tone-wise for international distribution, the took it the wrong way which is why this movie is so frequently maligned.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

LegendZilla wrote:The original Japanese version was intentionally designed to be a tongue-in-check experience, which is why when they edited the film tone-wise for international distribution, the took it the wrong way which is why this movie is so frequently maligned.
The tongue-in-cheek, playful aspect oozes through the American cut too, though. To this day I haven't seen the Japanese version (unfortunately) and it's still very much there. It's hard to hide it even with stock sci-fi music and the newscaster cut-aways.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Rodan wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:The original Japanese version was intentionally designed to be a tongue-in-check experience, which is why when they edited the film tone-wise for international distribution, the took it the wrong way which is why this movie is so frequently maligned.
The tongue-in-cheek, playful aspect oozes through the American cut too, though. To this day I haven't seen the Japanese version (unfortunately) and it's still very much there. It's hard to hide it even with stock sci-fi music and the newscaster cut-aways.
The American version might be cheeky, but what I find really gets lost in translation is the satirical element present in the Japanese version.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

One thing I've always found strange about the Japanese version of this one is what Mr. Shigezawa says at the end. in my copy at least, he goes "Well, I guess that we, as humans, must change the way we treat plants and animals. It's time to learn from them. That's all I have to say."
I'm curious, is this supposed to be a numerous line, poking fun at how kaiju films have morals, or is this just some subtitling error? I can't remember where, but SpaceHunterM I believe showed how one of the subtitled sections was just completely made up. Is this one of those times, or is this what the dialogue actually says? Anyone know if it's correct?
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:Is this one of those times, or is this what the dialogue actually says? Anyone know if it's correct?
It's more like

"All I can tell you is that we humans must change the
way we view nature. We still have much to learn."

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I love this movie. Was always one of my favorites. I understand that everyone has different tastes. I love seafood. My wife hates it. I never understood some of the hate this movie generates. And maybe it's not as grand a scale as im making it out to be but I feel it's middle of the road with fans. While the Kong suit is def sub par at best I always thought the g suit was one of the better ones. It's comical, the battle is one of the best of the showa era in my opinion. G and KK flying down Mount Fuji. KK smashing his face into a rock which still makes me laugh to this day.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah, it's one of my favorites as well^

Also even though the film is funny at points, I do feel that it it has darker moments in the original jap cut. For instance there's a lot of tense scenes of one of the characters on a boat and fear of Godzikka akin to 1954. Actually I'm considering watching it now again.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.