Unmade Showa Movie "A Space Godzilla"

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Unmade Showa Movie "A Space Godzilla"

Post by Giga Kaiju »

This is certainly something...

Woof.

Different? You can be your butt it is. Although, it sort of adresses the fact that there could be a female Godzilla (or Goddessilla?) and that they can reproduce. Sort of an interesting idea with the aliens and such, but at the time, it was norm for the series.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

I too would of been interested if this were actually made and fleshed out. It's so different.

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

Would be pretty cool if somebody at Toho digs this up and makes a throwback anime spinoff out of it. I'd really love to see this in action. I'd prefer live action, but this seems like something that could've only been made in that era.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

And that's the sad part of some unmade projects. They COULD have worked, but only if they were made in the time of conception.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

borodan
Yojimbo

Post by borodan »

So, everyone in this thread has gotten to read it now, right? I wasn't sure from the last few posts.

Just in case, here's the links:
https://maserpatrol.wordpress.com/2015/ ... ell-earth/
https://maserpatrol.wordpress.com/2015/ ... he-planet/

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

Count me in as one who had heard of this project before but none of the details.

This story is beyond bizarre. I can't even begin to picture what the finished movie would have actually looked like, but I think it's safe to say that it would be by far the weirdest and most violent Godzilla film in history.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

DrBreakfastMachine wrote:Count me in as one who had heard of this project before but none of the details.

This story is beyond bizarre. I can't even begin to picture what the finished movie would have actually looked like, but I think it's safe to say that it would be by far the weirdest and most violent Godzilla film in history.
And, oddly enough, that would probably give it a lot of appeal.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

What the fuck
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Magmavision2000
Ronin

Post by Magmavision2000 »

I thought this Godzilla died of diabetes

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I can't even fathom the ideas for this one. While it would be an interesting film to say the least I feel like it literally ruins everything that Godzilla stood for with the massive retcons the film makes to the entire Godzilla canon

OneMillionTomsBC
GPN Volunteer

Post by OneMillionTomsBC »

Megalon-5 wrote:IIRC, this would've been helmed by Nobuhiko Obayashi, the director behind Toho's very own House/Hausu, which was beyond bizarre. I would've loved to have seen him do a Godzilla flick.
:shock: No kidding, this would have been a must-see for me too. I loved Hausu.

Unbelievable. Inconceivable. Absolutely incomprehensible! I can see why this film was never made but now I want it more than anything. Making this nowadays probably would not work but it would have been one remarkable Showa flick for sure.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

OneMillionTomsBC wrote:
Megalon-5 wrote:IIRC, this would've been helmed by Nobuhiko Obayashi, the director behind Toho's very own House/Hausu, which was beyond bizarre. I would've loved to have seen him do a Godzilla flick.
:shock: No kidding, this would have been a must-see for me too. I loved Hausu.

Unbelievable. Inconceivable. Absolutely incomprehensible! I can see why this film was never made but now I want it more than anything. Making this nowadays probably would not work but it would have been one remarkable Showa flick for sure.
This would've easily been THE most divisive Godzilla film. I could see a situation where half the fandom holds it up as the greatest film the franchise, on par with G'54 or better, while the other half consistently places it at the bottom of the list as the worst of the worst.

OneMillionTomsBC
GPN Volunteer

Post by OneMillionTomsBC »

Pkmatrix wrote: This would've easily been THE most divisive Godzilla film. I could see a situation where half the fandom holds it up as the greatest film the franchise, on par with G'54 or better, while the other half consistently places it at the bottom of the list as the worst of the worst.
I don't know, it would just be different. There's always the standard Godzilla formula but when you take it to weird and uncharted territory it gets more interesting. Personally, I love it when things get weird. I think there should be more creative freedom with Godzilla movies. And it wouldn't have hurt the franchise as a standalone film during that time. Hedorah and Megalon was nice and weird and they fit right in with the times, the bulk of the grainy 60's/70's Showa era was weird and kindof goofy. It would have had some sort of magic to it, especially at the hands of someone like the great Obayashi. It would certainly be talked about as at least a remarkable film and would have probably been a nice closer to the Showa era. If it was made nowadays with today's filmmaking techniques it would be too challenging and I don't think it would work, nor would it be appreciated. It would probably be too weird and far out for today's times. Maybe it was best left as a pipe dream, but man, what a concept.
Last edited by OneMillionTomsBC on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Acid is a hell of a drug, isn't it?
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

GojiDog wrote:Acid is a hell of a drug, isn't it?
Artist or any other creative person: tries a new, experimental, out there idea that deviates from the norm

Online commentators: lol were they on drugz????

Wish these types of comments would just stop.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I think this is my favorite Godzilla project that never came to be. I would have been a great and strange one off
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gamoni would have probably got the rule34 culture's attention on the Godzilla franchise way sooner than they did. Same with the sphinxes.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I have a hard time imagining this movie succeeding in the box office..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

This sounds like the Highlander 2 of Godzilla films.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

The synopsis posted here doesn’t make much sense. The baby Godzilla and the dead mother are launched into space, or the baby Godzilla and his father?

Either way, this sounds completely insane. I would totally appreciate this being a real movie, because it would’ve set precedents for concepts like viscera, space travel, and multiple adult Godzillas.

Whether it would’ve actually been a good film, that’s a separate question. Regardless of writing or acting, I feel that it probably would’ve looked cheap. The Mechagodzilla movies managed to mask their low budgets with pyrotechnics galore, but this plot would’ve called for some ambitious effects shots that such a budget wouldn’t be able to achieve. The beached Godzilla carcass probably would’ve been unconvincingly portrayed by subpar green screen. Baby Godzilla getting launched into space would’ve looked terrible. And then the stuff taking place in space would look universally inferior to Invasion of the Astro-Monster. Unless, of course, this thing had a good budget... which, let’s be honest, it wouldn’t have after ToMG’s take.
Last edited by LockBite on Sat May 16, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.