Which Showa suit would you replace the rest with?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Which Showa suit would you replace the rest with?

ShodaiGoji
7%
GyakushuGoji
3%
KingGoji
22%
MosuGoji
47%
DaisensoGoji
5%
MusukoGoji
No votes
SoshingekiGoji
5%
MegaroGoji
11%

Total votes: 74

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Re: Which Showa suit would you replace the rest with?

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

62 was something special to me. I wouldn't replace all of them. But he should have been in more movies like mothra. I like Mosugoji buuuuuuut, I still wish we could have see him fall over a bunch of times in that movie. That would have been a heart warming site. And to see him get his tail stuck. :D good times.
This is the beginning of the end.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

King-goji looks too retro.

Something more fresh and new like Godzilla 1974.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

How is a suit that's over 50 years old "retro" while one that's 40 years old is "fresh and new"?

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Its just more likable to me.

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:King-goji looks too retro.

Something more fresh and new like Godzilla 1974.
Why do you always do that? When someone says their opinion, you say something else should be how you want it.
Legion1979 wrote:How is a suit that's over 50 years old "retro" while one that's 40 years old is "fresh and new"?
I know. That is a confusing statement too. Why would you think 1974 is fresh and new. 2004 and 2014 are fresh and new. If anything, 1974 is old. Besides, did you know the design was used again in the Godzilla vs the Wolfman fan film. Which believe it or not, was in production in the 80s. What design is old now.
This is the beginning of the end.

Shannon Squid
G-Force Personnel

Post by Shannon Squid »

I'll give some love to the Daiseno Suit. Wouldn't work with the 50's stuff. But could pass through the rest of the Showa series fairly well. It's not too friendly looking and fared well in some of the bleaker scenes of Monster Zero, with him destroying the countryside and all, and if I recall correctly wasn't exactly a fluffy teddy bear in Sea Monster.

I could see it working against Hedorah- I mean it was used for a few water scenes to begin with? Granted it was rotting by then...So yeah. Giving the Daiseno Suit it's first vote. I love the 64 suit, but this one really holds a special place for me.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

"Replace the rest with?" Every Showa suit was built with each film's specific tone in mind, there's not single suit that would work for every movie.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Sparkzilla14
Samurai

Post by Sparkzilla14 »

1975 MegaroGoji for sure. Looks tough but has the hero element as well, I feel its the best all around suit. The spines could use more detail work like KingGoji though.

75' MegaroGoji all the way
G-Fan since age 3. First G movies (Godzilla vs Sea Monster/Godzilla vs Gigan)

Top 6 Favorite G films: Terror of MechaGodzilla, Godzilla 1984/1985, Godzilla vs Sea Monster, Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs Gigan Godzilla 2014
Other Fav Toho Films: War of the Gargantuas and Rodan

Favorite G suit(s): MegaroGoji 1975 version and BioGoji KG version

MM The Destroyer
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MM The Destroyer »

I don't know, guys. Imagining the original, sluggish suit pulling kung-fu moves, flying, and using the tail slide kick... Just makes me happy inside for some reason.
I'm Back... for a... Damn it, I lost count!
Godzelda wrote:
Inferno Rodan wrote:But regardless, what on earth makes you think that, say, Spacegodzilla's Corona beam, which penetrated Godzilla's hide on more than one occasion, is more damaging than a nuke on a point-for-point basis?
It hurt Godzilla. That's why I think that.

TK's #1 most reported, popular, hated, loved, sarcastic kaiju pleb.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

tymon wrote:"Replace the rest with?" Every Showa suit was built with each film's specific tone in mind, there's not single suit that would work for every movie.
This is true, but the topic isn't about that. It's about picking your favorite Showa suit, to be in all Showa movies. Regardless of how well it would fit the atmosphere.

Perhaps I should have named the topic "What Showa suit do like SO MUCH, that you wish it was in all Showa movies". :P
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I think if you were to do an explicitly Showa style film something based on either 64 suit would be a nice way to go.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Hmm... This is a tough one to decide on. Each of the suits used in the films have their own unique look to them and work for the films they were used in. So to find the ideal one to replace all of the Showa Godzillas with is no easy feat. While my personal favorite Showa Godzilla is ShodaiGoji, I just can't see him using his atomic ray for flight or doing a double-sliding kick with the assistance of a size-changing robot.

Though I'm choosing MosuGoji collectively for this, I'd actually be stuck between MosuGoji and DaisensoGoji; Mosu for the first part of the series (Gojira, Raids Again, King Kong and Mothra) and Daisenso for the rest of the series (Ghidorah, Monster Zero, Ebirah, Son of G, DAM, Revenge, Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon, Mechagodzilla and Terror).
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I chose Daisenso, as it's my favorite Showa suit design. Granted, it probably wouldn't fit in with the tone of Gojira or Raids Again, but it wouldn't be out of place in, say, King Kong vs. Godzilla.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Megarogoji-The Godzilla 2974 suit.

Edit: Oh shit! I meant the 1974 suit.
Last edited by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Megarogoji-The Godzilla 2974 suit.
I could have sworn MegaroGoji was the 2973 suit, and that 2974/2975 was a different suit.

Anyway, my personal pick is... GyakushuGoji. Not only is it one that I haven't seen too much of, but I also really like its very sleek and fierce look. But then again, I don't find any of the Godzilla designs out of place for their particular movies.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

I can see the MosuGoji suit working in every film except the original. The body isn't very bulky, but it still has that menacing face that kinda shows he means business when he's in combat.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

But, where did these names come from. Some of them are good and the others... are just unusual.
Last edited by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i can't pick one. the films eventually need a unique look.

hey, also, can we use the year associated with the suit/name and not something like "mesugoji"? i don't mean to be a drag, but i have no sense of japanese and can't attribute these names to their particular movies in most cases without looking them up.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

three wrote:i can't pick one. the films eventually need a unique look.

hey, also, can we use the year associated with the suit/name and not something like "mesugoji"? i don't mean to be a drag, but i have no sense of japanese and can't attribute these names to their particular movies in most cases without looking them up.
Unfortunately, the designation of the suit names is established protocol. Most of us have little to no understanding of Japanese, and we had to look up the names on our own accord, and we fell in line with little difficulty. If one of us doesn't know the name to the suit, eventually someone will correct or inform the other.

Repetition, repetition, repetition.

Hopefully this will help the info sink in:

---SHOWA ERA---
Gojira - 1954 - ShodaiGoji (Japanese for "First Generation" + Gojira)
Godzilla Raids Again - 1955 - GyakushuGoji (Japanese for "Counter-Attack" + Gojira)
King Kong vs. Godzilla - 1962 - KingGoji (King Kong + Gojira)
Mothra vs. Godzilla - 1964 - MosuGoji (Mosura + Gojira)
Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster - 1965 - MosuGoji (altered head)
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero - 1966 - DaisensoGoji (Japanese for "Great War" + Gojira)
Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster - 1967 - DaisensoGoji Son of Godzilla - 1968 - MusukoGoji (Japanese for "Son" + Gojira)
Destroy All Monsters - 1968 - SoshingekiGoji (Japanese for "Attack of the Marching Monsters" + Gojira)
Godzilla's Revenge - 1969 - SoshingekiGoji
Godzilla vs. Hedorah - 1970 - SoshingekiGoji
Godzilla vs. Gigan - 1972 - SoshingekiGoji
Godzilla vs. Megalon - 1973 - MegaroGoji ("Megaro," + Gojira)
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla - 1974 - MegaroGoji
Terror of MechaGodzilla - 1975 - MegaroGoji (altered head)

---HEISEI ERA---
The Return of Godzilla - 1984 - 84Goji
Godzilla vs. Biollante - 1989 - BioGoji (Biollante + Gojira)
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - 1991 - BioGoji/GhidoGoji (alternate name; Ghidorah + Gojira)
Godzilla vs. Mothra: The Battle for the Earth - 1992 - BatoGoji (Battora + Gojira)
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II - 1993 - RadoGoji (altered BatoGoji; Radon + Gojira)
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla - 1994 - MogeGoji (altered BatoGoji; Mogera + Gojira)
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah - 1995 - DesuGoji (heavily altered BatoGoji; Desutoroya + Gojira)

---MILLENNIUM ERA---
Godzilla 2000 - 1999 - MireGoji (Mireniamu + Gojira)
Godzilla vs. MegaGuirus - 2000 - MireGoji
Godzilla, Mothra & King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack - 2001 - SokogekiGoji (Japanese for "All-Out Attack" + Gojira)
Godzilla against MechaGodzilla - 2002 - KiryuGoji
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. - 2003 - KiryuGoji
Godzilla: Final Wars - 2004 - FinalGoji

It doesn't take any level of understanding of the Japanese language to memorize the names of the suits; it simply just comes down to repetition.

For everybody else out there, if I botched any of the years, please feel free to correct me.

*Edit. Please, do not for one second think I'm insulting or chastising you.
Last edited by skuzzy-punk-kid on Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

I don't think is possible to use ONE suit with the entirerity of the era as each movie has its own message, tone, and 'feel' and doesn't seem like it could like other people have said on the upper posts.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.