Lost Project-Operation Robinson Crusoe: King Kong vs. Ebirah

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Monarch_SPC
Ronin

Lost Project-Operation Robinson Crusoe: King Kong vs. Ebirah

Post by Monarch_SPC »

I think it would have been a very interesting battle between King Kong, Ebirah and Mothra. As most of you may know the original kaiju was to be King Kong but they replaced him with Godzilla. Also I wonder if they would have used the same suit in KK Escapes or a different one.

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Re: Lost Project-Operation Robinson Crusoe: King Kong vs. Eb

Post by gojimantis »

they would have had to make a KK suit, KKE was 67, Ebirah is 66.
Ebirah became one of my favorite G films after some time. very fun and light hearted.
You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I've found in the last few years, thanks in part to the fan-fics of C.L. Werner which gave me a new appreciation for the human villains of Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster, the Red Bamboo. Likewise, the DVD release of the flick also. I do think that if this project had gone off as originally planned, with Kong as the top billed daikaiju instead of Godzilla. It might've made the fights with Ebirah a little more suspenseful in the long run. Godzilla along with his being an amphibious creature, also has his trademark oral beam, which enables him to seriously outgun the giant lobster. Also it would've been more of an event for Kong to have a meet up, although briefly, with Mothra.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Lost Project-Operation Robinson Crusoe: King Kong vs. Ebirah

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Kong and Ebirah would have been a good fight for sure. I forget how much I like Sea Monster sometimes, but if it was a King Kong movie I could see it being one of the classic Kong movies. Maybe even a legitimate sequel to KKvsG what with Kong being revived by lighting, and the scale of the monsters. I'm sure they would have had the Honda crew handle it but if they kept Fukuda it would have been fire!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I think this would have been even better than the movie we got for a number of reasons. Don't get me wrong I love what we got, but not because of Godzilla. I like the castaway story and the interaction between the human characters. Overall they did an okay job of integrating Godzilla in, but not enough.

A fight between Kong and Ebirah would be a little bit more evenly matched as Ebirah would have the advantage in the water, and you would understand Kong reluctancy to enter the battle. The fight with the giant condor would have made a bit more sense even if it would still probably looked silly. Kong being protective of the island girl is obvious. The only thing that might have been out of place would be Kong vs jet fighters. Even the ending with Kong not wanting to jump in the ocean, over Godzilla that always seemed to like to return to the ocean

Another reason would we may have been spared All Monster Attack since there wouldn't of been enough Godzilla on tropical Island footage to use.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That last reason is the best one.

I would have liked to see Kong fight the planes. Besides being an homage to the original, it would have been nice to see Kong win against the fighters and get some revenge against planes.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

As much as I like Godzilla vs the Sea Monster I think this film would have made for a better match up as Godzilla acted way too much like Kong in Sea Monster.

From a fan perspective though imagine Godzilla disappears in Monster Zero and the next time we see him is Son of Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I also wonder how tall Kong would be here? Would he still be 45 metres? Bigger? Smaller?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

gojimantis wrote:they would have had to make a KK suit, KKE was 67, Ebirah is 66.
Ray Morton claims that that Kong suit was built in 1966 for Operation Robinson Crusoe, and Toho simply used it a year later for KKE after Crusoe was cancelled. He credits an interview with Arthur Rankin in his books credits section and Rankin along with Jules Bass were the ones co-funding those projects, so maybe this is what Rankin told him.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

miguelnuva wrote:From a fan perspective though imagine Godzilla disappears in Monster Zero and the next time we see him is Son of Godzilla.
But honestly if they did Robinson Crusoe in 66 how do we know there would have been a Son of Godzilla next? Frankly we might not have Gargantuas that year either. Toho would have had Honda directing Kong, so if there was a Godzilla film 66 would probably still be Fukuda's first Godzilla film.
King Kong vs Ebirah probably would have changed everything about the late 60's showa output.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.