Godzilla vs. Hedorah Dubs on Blu-Ray/DVD

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Nikkolas
Ronin

Godzilla vs. Hedorah Dubs on Blu-Ray/DVD

Post by Nikkolas »

Hey, so I only watch dubs because I don't speak Japanese and I have bad eyesight. That means watching a movie and reading subtitles just isn't practical for me.

But I grew up with Showa Godzilla and I want to reacquaint myself with the films. I see a lot of them are on BR now but I was looking at the thread about Japanese vs. US vesin and saw that the BR version of GvH uses a different dub.

Is the BR version worth it? Or should I look for a DVD version with the other dub? The one with "Save the Earth"?

Nikkolas
Ronin

Re: Godzilla vs. Hedorah Dubs on Blu-Ray/DVD

Post by Nikkolas »

I saw that topic. What I was looking for was suggestions on which version of the movie to buy.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

The Blu-Ray uses the same master of the international version/export dub as the old Sony DVD. The PQ is excellent but the export dub does have a few trivial technical issues involving missing voicework.

If you want the U.S. Titan Productions dub I'd recommend the Orion LaserDisc/VHS since it's the only video release of the AIP version from 35mm.

Nikkolas
Ronin

Post by Nikkolas »

Well I don't have a VCR or LD player.... Never owned an LD in my life. But I did find a DVD with the Titan dub on it, it was a double feature of Smog Monster/Megalon. Apparently it's not very good visual quality compared to others but ah well, I really like the dub.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Yeah, the double feature is abysmal quality (in the video *or* audio department), but if you're satisfied with it, then I guess that's what matters.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.