Why didn't Godzilla ask for help in Godzilla vs Gigan

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Why didn't Godzilla ask for help in Godzilla vs Gigan

Post by edgaguirus »

Ghidorah was popular, though. As we know, Toho always has to give the popular monster a place, even if it is second billing to a new one.

The likely reason Rodan wasn't in it was because of the suit's condition. After DAM, Rodan doesn't make any more appearances in the Showa series aside from stock footage clips.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

edgaguirus wrote:Ghidorah was popular, though. As we know, Toho always has to give the popular monster a place, even if it is second billing to a new one.

The likely reason Rodan wasn't in it was because of the suit's condition. After DAM, Rodan doesn't make any more appearances in the Showa series aside from stock footage clips.
Additionally, Rodan would have required more wirework that the crew probably couldn't afford/handle. King Ghidorah was one thing, since the costume was useable and he was a big draw, but Rodan was something else.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

Vankor wrote:
RumbleJapan wrote:Because ganging up on two dudes with a mob of your own doesn't exude as much machismo.
But they gangbanged Ghidorah in DAM. Maybe Goji felt he needed to make up for not showing as much balls in that 11 on 1 fight.
Don't forget that the events of Destroy All Monsters took place in the "not too distant future: 1999" (despite the movie being filmed in 1969). Chronologically speaking, Godzilla vs. Gigan took place before Destroy All Monsters.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i wonder how large the cost difference would be if they swapped Angirus with Rodan? obviously i'm assuming it'd be greater, but i would have liked to see Rodan and Godzilla take on the terrible duo.
this movie used lots of stock footage, too, so how effective they were at reaching their budget goals and staying within their spending limits i can only speculate about, but i assume they did a fine job. given what came after this movie, i can't say i'm upset that they put away the money for later.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

The Godzilla Camp
Monsterland Worker

Post by The Godzilla Camp »

edgaguirus wrote:Because 3 or 4 heros against 2 villians wouldn't have been fair.
The thing is King Ghidorah Showa is not joke and with Gigan who is a blade-saw-slice/dice-happy bastard ... unless you've got perhaps Mosura (though even so you'd need good coordination like in 1964), Spiga/Kumonga and Gorosaurus ... otherwise Varan, Manda, Baragon, Minya and Kamakuras in a one-on-one or even in a tag-team wouldn't last too long ... and even if Mosura or Gorosaurus or Kumonga are in - if its a one-on-one basis - unless they're extremely lucky or just got super-speed or can sneak-attack - in an all-out front attack with King Ghidorah Showa's Gravity Beams and Gigan's blade-happy blitzkriegs ... not gonna be funny or easy for them - true Gorosaurus may have the Kangaroo Kick - BUT if he's got to face Gigan AND King Ghidorah who can intervene and help one another or if King Ghidorah just goes blast happy as long as he's in the sky or strikes frontal direct blows - Gorosaurus is gonna have a hard time trying to perform a leap of faith ... though then again its still a shot ... and same with Mosura and Kumonga - well Kumonga could have a good chance but still - the Gravity Beams are nothing to laugh at ... and if King Ghidorah Showa was a little more accurate and had more tandem-working mind-skills and thinking - he'd be even harder to kill then rather than just cackling and shaking/rattling his heads and spamming Gravity Beams...

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

^Good point made, that Anguirus with his tough, spikey shell was probably the only one equipped for the combo of gravity beams-buzzsaw-hooks.

Did Godzilla even know exactly what he was up against before he and Anguirus arrived? I forget whether he did or not. If he didn't, maybe he figured he and Anguirus could handle most anything. I don't think Godzilla could communicate with monsters long-distance, either, so to go try and get Mothra or Rodan would have probably meant a lot of traveling. Which would have given Ghidorah and Gigan a lot of time to destroy things. Godzilla probably didn't want to leave unless absolutely necessary.

The Godzilla Camp
Monsterland Worker

Post by The Godzilla Camp »

KaijuFiend wrote:^Good point made, that Anguirus with his tough, spikey shell was probably the only one equipped for the combo of gravity beams-buzzsaw-hooks.

Did Godzilla even know exactly what he was up against before he and Anguirus arrived? I forget whether he did or not. If he didn't, maybe he figured he and Anguirus could handle most anything. I don't think Godzilla could communicate with monsters long-distance, either, so to go try and get Mothra or Rodan would have probably meant a lot of traveling. Which would have given Ghidorah and Gigan a lot of time to destroy things. Godzilla probably didn't want to leave unless absolutely necessary.
Actually in Destroy all Monsters - even Anguirus 1968's shell was only MODERATELY EFFECTIVE ... YET interesting in 1972 when he was able to land a few rear strikes against King Ghidorah frontally BUT only after Godzilla 1972 held him in an arm lock and YET we don't see any severe bloody scars or bleeding or traumatic injury to King Ghidorah 1972 WHOM also endured a few 'SEISMIC TOSSES' and probably other than feeling dazed, having a bloodied neck and such but he was able to retreat and he didn't die straight away ... that's quite some durability and considering he may not even have had Organizer G-1 ... AND in Destroy All Monsters King Ghidorah 1968 was briefly able to knock out Anguirus 1968 by treading on him and did the spikes impale him? Hardly ... and it was really just Anguirus rushing in and biting his necks and bleeding him did it cause any form of damage ... and only after Gorosaurus did the Leap of Faith Kangaroo kick ...

And it seemed that Anguirus at times - he likes to charge forward - and the problem being that opponents can easily repel him; Mecha-G 1974 via the Fake Godzilla 1974 suit just gave him a kick that sent him reeling back and knocking down a bridge and Gigan 1972 was able to kick him and knock him back and the nasty 'nose-job' via the buzz-saw ...

Well - considering the film was made in 1972 and how the JSDGF intercepted King Ghidorah and Gigan 1972 where the General or Official or whoever he was remarked that Gigan 1972 at the time 'the other one is new - a new monster!' and the fact for Godzilla 1972 - it may have been partially pre-cognition as he did fight King Ghidorah Showa a number of times ... and then there was Hedorah 1971 ...
three wrote:i wonder how large the cost difference would be if they swapped Angirus with Rodan? obviously i'm assuming it'd be greater, but i would have liked to see Rodan and Godzilla take on the terrible duo.
this movie used lots of stock footage, too, so how effective they were at reaching their budget goals and staying within their spending limits i can only speculate about, but i assume they did a fine job. given what came after this movie, i can't say i'm upset that they put away the money for later.
Well - whilst Rodan is able to perform hit-run and dive-bomb blitzkrieg assaults at times - he has to deal with King Ghidorah's blast-happy approach and in the Sandai Kaiju 1964 film he had trouble when King Ghidorah was just blasting the small hill he was hiding behind bit by bit and he was just unable to do anything until Godzilla 1964 and Mosura 1964 intervened ... PLUS the fact in Destroy All Monsters he was 'scared off' and 'blasted off' somewhat by King Ghidorah 1968's beams and he flew off for the rest of the battle ... and this time against Gigan 1972 who is a blade-happy and saw-happy bastard - imagine if Gigan 1972 manages to give Rodan a 'new set of wings...' in the form of shredded wings ... and that probably wouldn't be pleasant ... even though the two could knock one another from the sky ... but Rodan at best has his winds and his beak and such ... Gigan has hammer claws, a buzz-saw and sharp beaks enough to dice one to pieces ...