Astro-Monster timeline placement?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Astro-Monster timeline placement?

Post by Camdigidy »

So I'm watching Astro-Monster and the opening scene states that it takes place in 196X. I had forgotten that DAM isn't the only G film to be set in the future. So where to place it? After Son maybe? But then I remembered that technology in the 70's movies was less advanced than what is shown in Astro-monster. Those movies were unarguably '70's. This can't take place before 1970.

What I'm proposing is that Invasion of Astro-Monster would fit much better in the Showaverse's late 80's or early 90's.

My reasons:
In the begining, when Fuji and Glenn land on Planet X, lightning strikes (Ghidorah's bolts presumably). Fuji then wips out a gun. Why does an astronaut have a gun and why wip it out so quickly at the first loud sound?
According to this movie, man has not made first contact yet. The next movie chronologicaly to feature intellegent aliens is G vs Gigan. Man has no reason to believe in threats beyond the Earth.
Fuji and Glenn would only carry guns if they knew hostile aliens were out there like the Nebulan Cockroaches and the Black Hole Simians.

Also,
Backwards engineering whatever remained of the Nebulans' and Simians' technology (their bases, ship remains, and Mechagodzilla) would allow for humanity to make a huge leap in technology giving them the ability to make interplanetery trips, daily moon trips, and the ability to hold the Earth's monsters.
Side thought: people could have used the Xilien's "monster transport technology" to get all the monsters onto Monster Island in 1999. If they backward engineered this technology in the late 60's, why not use it on any of the monsters after 1970? This part of my theory relies heavily on speculation though.

What do you think?
Check out my custom Godzilla blu-ray covers on my DeviantArt: https://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Astro-Monster timeline placement?

Post by Space Hunter M »

It takes place in 196X, the forgotten year between 1965 and 1966.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Godzilla 1995 wrote: Come to think of it, I think that's in the American cut only.
It's only in the Japanese versions (the Champion Festival cut has narration also listing the year). The UPA version wisely doesn't list an EarthBound year. I don't believe the French version gives a date, and the German cut has no text or narration whatsoever.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I believe they just left the "X" just in case man did land on the moon in the 60's, if that makes sense. But it definitely took place in the 60's, as most of their technology looked quite primitive compared to the 70's.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Post by Camdigidy »

Good points, but I thought of something else that doesn't. Rely on ignoring a part of the movie.

Could we consider The Mysterians in continuity with the G films? If we can, then humanity would be able to salvage Mysterian tech and be able to make interplanetary trips by the late 60's. But when more monsters start attacking in the early 70's, Japan's economy suffers and can't afford space programs or more advanced cities or technology. It's not until monster attacks cease after 1975 when the economy can prosper and we can make daily moon trips by 1999.

Better than my previous theory?
Check out my custom Godzilla blu-ray covers on my DeviantArt: https://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/

three
Keizer

Post by three »

196x, an unspecified year in the 60s. there is no need to overthink this.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

People always give the Heisei series shit for is continuity, despite it actually being the strongest out of any of the 3 series when compared to the others.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Why is Kamiko Island suddenly an iceberg in KKvsG?

N O B O D Y C A R E S

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Space Hunter M wrote:Why is Kamiko Island suddenly an iceberg in KKvsG?

N O B O D Y C A R E S
Do you know how icebergs are formed lol
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

The Robber
Samurai

Post by The Robber »

Camdigidy wrote:What I'm proposing is that Invasion of Astro-Monster would fit much better in the Showaverse's late 80's or early 90's.
The real question is: are skinny ties still popular in the Showaverse circa 1990?
I've done a lot of crazy things in my life, but ... I've never stuck my head into a hornet's nest.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla and Rodan are still hanging out in Astro Monster with no Mothra around and in Sea Monster Godzilla is alone and Mothra has reappeared in Imago form so I put it in 1965.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

GojiraFan333 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Godzilla and Rodan are still hanging out in Astro Monster with no Mothra around and in Sea Monster Godzilla is alone and Mothra has reappeared in Imago form so I put it in 1965.
Wtf did I just read.
Invasion of the Astro Monster - Godzilla and Rodan present, Mothra is nowhere to be seen

Godzilla vs. Sea Monster - Godzilla present, Rodan is not. Mothra is seen in Imago form