Favorite aspects of the Showa Godzilla films

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Favorite aspects of the Showa Godzilla films

Post by MDK »

Title says it all. What are your favorite aspects of the Showa Godzilla films? Personally, I love how the characters are basically normal everyday people. A lot more interesting than some generic military generals of the Heisei series. Also, the special effects are timeless in these films.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Favorite aspects of the Showa Godzilla films

Post by Space Hunter M »

I like the batshit insane advertising material the Toho publicity department did. There was more creativity in the studio system back then anyways.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Best part- everything, except the american Ebirah soundtrack
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

he-ba wrote:except the american Ebirah soundtrack
Whaaa? There were zero musical changes except the removal of the High and Low stock cue during the fighter jet attack.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Finding ads like this:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The sincerity of these films, even the lesser ones, something many of the Heisei and Millennium films lack.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Godzilla's character development from villain to hero.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:The sincerity of these films, even the lesser ones, something many of the Heisei and Millennium films lack.
Pretty much this. I enjoy watching all but GRA and DAM in regards to the Showa films, even the bad ones. They seemed to care about what they were making more than they would in the 90's and beyond.
Yeah. But many people are unwilling to give the older ones a chance, which is a shame given all of the hard work and love they were made with.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Almost everything, really. There was this magic combination of people behind them that had the talent, creativity, and will to make these potentially ridiculous ideas work amazingly well.

Besides that, I just tend to prefer the old style of monster movie. Good stuff still comes along now and then, and modern technology allows for today's kaiju to be portrayed in ways the ancestors could not, but something about the genre just belongs in the past. Mostly, I suppose, because it was all new, back then. These monsters were being created for the first time, and people were willing to risk trying new things. Now... now, we mostly get rehashes and halfassery. Or both.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Legion1979 wrote:The sincerity of these films, even the lesser ones, something many of the Heisei and Millennium films lack.

this, along with the monsters themselves (this is where some of the best incarnations of the monsters show up, such as Mothra, and for many Ghidorah and MG), as well as the ability to be both zany and realized.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

There's many things I like about this period. You can see a lot of creativity in these movies, and they have some great musical scores. These films were also made with love. No matter how silly the films might get, the studio did a serious job to make them quality and fun.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Tyler wrote:They transport me to a place where I'm not a jaded, judgmental, postmodern cynic which is quite the feat. I like what the movies are about culturally, how they were made and who made them. But it all goes back to an unexplainable love for dinosaurs, monster and practical effects. They just make me happy.
This, to a word.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I honestly love the portrayal of the monsters. They weren't just mindless animals, they had personality & emotion, they were treated as characters in their own right. Also loved they kept coming back again and again, more like comic book heroes and villians rather than simple movie monsters. Especially loved the vast number of creatures with all their outlandish designs and powers.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

One of my favorite aspects is Godzilla during his heroic mode during the latter Showa Era. I know these films aren't examples of master film-making and many look down on this period in his history, namely mainstream audiences and the fans who prefer their Godzilla dirty & gritty, but these films are pretty entertaining. Before shounen anime and Star Wars, Godzilla was utilizing the force and gaining power-ups out of thin air.

ScouseGojira
GPN Volunteer

Post by ScouseGojira »

I realize it was not the original intention of the character, but all that anti-nuke stuff is not the reason I love Godzilla, the real reason is he is a giant Dinosaur who has radioactive breath and kicks the ass of every other monster out there. This is what mid 60s through mid 70s Showa films portrayed and this is always how I've seen Godzilla, like a Batman, Hulk, Spidey etc. Which is why I loved his portrayal in this years film. Godzilla has had some great films as a villain but I grew up with Vs MechaGodzilla, Gigan, Megalon, Hedorah, Monster Zero. Godzilla with kick-ass heroic status holds the most sentimentality with me.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

The retro asthetic. Sometimes I want to see a woman with a beehive or a bob cut, or a big computer with spinning wheels if tape and so many blinking lights that your creepy neighbor who over decorates for Christmas would be proud. Alien invaders with silver suits who wear sunglasses indoors are a major plus, as are their flying saucers.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

- The derpiness. If I'm not kept in stitches from flying Godzilla, I'm kept in stitches from the dolphin boat. Skeleturtle's head bob. Godzilla giving the peace sign. Godzilla's victory dance. Godzilla's tail slide. These are things of the finest art.

- The messages of some of the films, the two biggest being Gojira and vs Hedorah. I like the way the latter handled the issue of environmentalism, which at that point was a relatively fresh topic that hadn't been done to death.

- The creativity of the monsters. The only ones that don't seem super creative to me are Giant Condor, Eibrah, Kamacuras, and Kumonga, because they don't have a lot to differentiate them from their tiny counterparts. The rest all feel incredibly unique, even Gabara.

- The amount of monsters introduced. We have Godzilla, Anguirus, Mothra, Rodan, Varan, Baragon, Manda, Eibrah, Flappy Bird, Gabara, Kamacuras, Kumonga, Minilla, King Ghidorah, King Kong, Gorosaurus, Hedorah, Jet Jaguar, Megalon, King Caesar, MechaGodzilla, Titanosaurs, and Gigan. That's a ton in comparison to the Heisei and Millennium series' (of which you can probably count the new monsters introduced on one hand).

- Well-detailed suits and amazing miniatures. When you take a look at Showa-era Gamera and Ultraman kaiju, it becomes pretty evident that the suits in the Godzilla films have a much better sense of realism to them.

- The roars. "Bee-de-dee-de-dee!" is the penultimate Ghidorah sound. Easily some of the most iconic kaiju roars.

- The human characters usually feel quite enjoyable, with the obvious exception of kids being kinda meh.

- Theme songs. I love Mothra's and have a fondness for King Caesar's. Godzilla's and Jet Jaguar's are enjoyably bad.

Benn_Sonic_exe
Monsterland Worker

Post by Benn_Sonic_exe »

The crazy alternate titles! Mothra:The Flying Dracula Monster? Gorgo and Superman meet in Tokyo? Watang in Fabulous Empire of Monsters? WATANG IN FABULOUS EMPIRE OF MONSTERS?!
AKA Jamie.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I found a torrent of the Italian The Thing dub but it's dead and the ED2K link will take forever.

RumbleJapan
GPN Volunteer

Post by RumbleJapan »

How clunky and campy they are. I don't take Showa seriously with the exception of the first couple of films--which is why they're fun to watch.
Visit my fan site: Goji Database