Which Do You Prefer: Japanes Originals or US Edits???

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GojiraFanMan
Yojimbo

Which Do You Prefer: Japanes Originals or US Edits???

Post by GojiraFanMan »

I thought this would be fun to talk about. For each Showa Godzilla film, talk about which version you prefer: Japanese Original or US Edited version. Many of the showa films were heavily edited for their US Releases, so there is plenty of discussion for most of the entries. And if you want to distinguish between other edited versions (Say AIP Dub or International Dub for DAM) feel free to do so.

Anyways, here are my picks:

Godzilla = I have to go with the original Japanese cut of course. I grew up with the US Version and I do appreciate it for maintaining most of the original's spirit, and featuring (believe it or not) some of the best dialogue in the entire series (Burr's chilling narrations and Ogata's words to Serisawa to convince him to use the Oxygen Destroyer). However, the original just feels like a more complete film with more focus on the characters and their struggles, while also capturing the complete horror of Godzilla.

Godzilla Raids Again = This one is surprisingly tough because I am not a fan of either version. The Japanese version is a more competent movie, but doesn't do anything to elevate itself above standard 50s Monster Movie fare. The US Edit is so hilariously bad with its awful dubbing, oddball use of stock footage, bizarre exposition for the origins of the monsters, and its incompetent attempts to hide that this is even a Godzilla sequel. With all of that, I have to say, the US Edit is a blast to watch for its sheer goofiness. I'll go with the Japanese version just for being a more respectable film, but the US Edit is at least funny in its incompetence.

King Kong Vs. Godzilla = While the US Edit provides a dubbed voice cast that captures the comedic spirit of the film (Mr. Tako is hilarious), the Japanese version once again gets my vote here. The US News Report Scenes just bring the movie to a screeching halt whenever they pop and add nothing. Raymond Burr added a different perspective to the events, while the US News scenes here feel like clumsy exposition. Also, taking out most of Ifukube's fantastic score and replacing it with stock music from other films it just annoying.

Mothra Vs. Godzilla = I will go with the US edit on this one. The dub itself is very good (probably the best the series has ever had), and that scene with the US Navy bombarding Godzilla is fantastic. It is nice to actually have Godzilla footage that is NOT in the Japanese cut of the film for once.

Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster = Tough call again because both movies to me are practically the same. I know the US switches some scenes around, but you can argue either way on the merits of that decision. Even losing some of Ifukube's music is not that bad this time around. I am tempted to give it to the US Edit just for the "Oh Godzilla What Terrible Language" Line that we all love so much, ha ha. I guess we can call this one a tie though because I could go either way.

Invasion of Astro Monster = The US Edit gets my vote for two reasons: 1, Replacing the upbeat Monster Zero March with the more ominous Planet X theme for the main titles sets the tone for the film better and makes the Monster Zero March's use in the film's climax more satisfying. And 2, Nick Adams' performance in English trumps everything.

Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster = I could go either way with this one as well. I guess I'll say Japanese just because the International Dub is AWFUL and the US version I grew up with is of poor video quality, so to get the best enjoyment out of it, I might as well stick with the Japanese original.

Son of Godzilla = I'll go with the original US Edit that I watched as a kid. I really liked the voices for the characters in this one, and I'm sorry, but Gimantis and Spiga sound better to me, even if they are a bit on-the-nose as monster names. Also, I think losing the opening scene with Godzilla makes his motivations more ambiguous and his eventual arrival more striking.

Destroy All Monsters = Would you believe that I have NEVER seen the AIP Dub? I need to get on that. As is, the Japanese original and the International Dub are not vastly different. Call me crazy, but I kind of like the voices for the International Dub, especially Katsuo's hilariously macho voice. I guess I'll go with the International Dub, but I really need to see what all the fuss is with the AIP Dub.

All Monsters Attack = Believe it or not, I am going with the US Edit. Both versions are terrible, but the US Edit is actually less annoying. In the Japanese original, the opening song with the screeching lady and Minya's baby voice almost did me in.

Godzilla Vs. Hedorah = The US Edit....Save the Earth in English is just classic to me, ha ha. I wish we could get that version on DVD here stateside.

Godzilla Vs. Gigan = I'll go with the Japanese original because I don't actually have to listen to Godzilla & Angurias talking to each other. The speech bubbles are distracting, but it is better than hearing English dialogue being forced out over those garbled sound effects.

Godzilla Vs. Megalon = My preferred version? The MST3K version. Listening to the crew of the SOL make jokes all throughout it just a blast, and the best way to enjoy this movie.

Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla = The Japanese original, though it isn't necessarily a huge difference either way.

Terror of Mechagodzilla = The Un-Cut US Version. When I finally got this on DVD, I was amazed at how much they really cut out of the version I had on VHS growing up. The edits COMPLETELY changed the meaning of the ending and made it a lesser movie because of it. The Un-Edited version also has that cool prologue that, while not completely accurate, is fun to watch, and leads into the awesome opening titles pretty well. The Japanese version is fine too, though I don't feel the need to go ga-ga over a pair of fake frontal lobes.

So what are your thoughts?

Kubo
Sazer

Re: Which Do You Prefer: Japanes Originals or US Edits???

Post by Kubo »

For casual viewing, I usually just stick with the English dub and call it a day. However, when I get in the mood, I love to watch the original Japanese cuts. It all comes down to my mood.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

I think we all know the answer here...
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

It largely depends on the movie and my mood. I pretty much watch the '90s and '00s films in Japanese only, and a couple (DAM and Biollante) only in English dubbed. The rest I have no specific preference, although I tend to go with the Japanese version most of the time (the exception being MvG, which I almost always prefer the US version).

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I don't really care, as long as it isn't the US version of GRA. The Japanese is extremely superior, in fact one of my favorites
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Missingno. wrote:I think we all know the answer here...
Yeah, I agree that my dubbed version of Godzilla is pretty good.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Space Hunter M wrote:
Missingno. wrote:I think we all know the answer here...
Yeah, I agree that my dubbed version of Godzilla is pretty good.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

International versions for basically everything after KKvsG, where available.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

Basically I stick to the english versions. I've watched them all in japanese of course, but the only one I consistently watch in japanese is GRA, for obvious reasons. That is, unless I'm drunk and want a laugh
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

The only Godzilla films that I choose to watch dubbed are: Godzilla Raids Again (because the original cut is pretty bland and boring and the awful Americanization gives it that "so bad, it's good" vibe), Invasion of Astro-Monster (I like watching Nick Adams perform in his native language and the dub is almost as good as Mothra vs. Godzilla's IMO so I don't have to sacrifice my eardrums listening to atrocious dubbing) and Godzilla vs. Gigan (because the dubbing, while not good, injects more personality into the film that the dull Japanese cast does: "He must have though it was a gun!"). MST3K Megalon also gets a honorary vote as that's the only way I'll watch that disaster of a film.

The two other movies I watch dubbed don't really count as I've yet to see the Japanese version for either, and they are All Monsters Attack and Godzilla 2000. From what I understand, I'm not really missing much and most seem to prefer them dubbed.

I also don't mind watching Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ebirah or Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla dubbed either although I prefer the Japanese versions. I'm a fast reader and have a lot of experience with subtitles, so I almost always watch all the other movies subbed.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I have preferences for only a few movies. Most movies are good in either language.

Between GKotM and Gojira, I like Gojira better. It packs more impact and resonance than the American version. The American versions of M vs G and GRA are the ones I watch more. The missile attack only seen in the U.S version of M vs G is an exciting sequence, and a logical plan of attack against Godzilla. I prefer Gigantis as it has better pacing and a little more humor. Finally, I prefer the Japanese ToMG. It's not for the bare flesh, but for the way it handles Katsura's death. It gives it more meaning.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

edgaguirus wrote:I have preferences for only a few movies. Most movies are good in either language.

Between GKotM and Gojira, I like Gojira better. It packs more impact and resonance than the American version. The American versions of M vs G and GRA are the ones I watch more. The missile attack only seen in the U.S version of M vs G is an exciting sequence, and a logical plan of attack against Godzilla. I prefer Gigantis as it has better pacing and a little more humor. Finally, I prefer the Japanese ToMG. It's not for the bare flesh, but for the way it handles Katsura's death. It gives it more meaning.
I like how everyone has to bring up Katsura's (fake) tits whenever the JP version of ToMG is brought up. But yeah, I almost always watch the JP versions unless the movie is bilingual (like Invasion of the Astro Monster, Latitude Zero, Gunhed, and Final Wars), in which case it doesn't matter which version I watch.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Pretty much the Japanese originals across the board, and post- ... Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster, I think? ... they cease having any major differences besides dubbing and minor content edits.

The one where I could maybe call it a toss-up would be in regard to the editing choices in the aforementioned Ghidorah. Ultimately I still prefer to watch the film in Japanese, but the first U.S. edit really does make some tight cuts for pacing.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I like watching both Gojira and GKotM!, because, like stated somewhere else on this forum by me, they act as two different points of view on the same event, even though the Japanese version doesn't mention any guy named Steve Martin.You learn all of the events in the same order, and thats important, because if somebody new to the franchise watched the Japanese version of GtTHM and then watched the American version thinking it's just dubbed, oh boy would they be confuzzled.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

Oh! I forgot to mention I also prefer to watch the original Gojira over KotM. Kotm is good (it's added scenes are incorporated almost flawlessly) but it still can't trump the original japanese edit.
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I like the French version that has scenes from both.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Think it would be interesting if anybody could make a "hybrid cut" of any film.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Japanese original cut without question for me, and that goes for all films except 2000.

#BotM

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

I prefer dubs for kaiju films in general, but as for the Godzilla films that got re-edits, it's a mixed bunch.

GKOTM was the movie that got me into Tokusatsu so I owe a lot to that cut, which still holds up compared to the Japanese original. I consider them equally good, though Gojira is the superior film on its own terms.

Gigantis, on the other hand, is by far the better version than GRA. The latter is dull and poorly paced, whereas the former is undeniably schlocky, yet feels much more comfortable in its B-movie skin. GTFM is simply more entertaining, and I think it's one of the better Americanizations of a Godzilla film.

KKvG is a tough call. The Japanese version is a better movie, but the American cut has superior pacing and more comic value thanks to the unforgettable scenes in the UN newsroom, as well as a dub that I'm quite fond of.

Ghidrah's American cut is pretty mediocre, as is the overall film (yes, I went there), and I don't prefer one version to another, though there are some wise editing choices in the US version, along with a number of puzzling changes (i.e. rearranging certain shots, deleting a few SFX shots, new music). Both are decent for a casual viewing.

MZ is practically identical to IOAM, so my preference lies with the dub for most viewings. Still haven't seen the uncut international restoration though.

As for Sea Monster, Son of, DAM, and Hedorah, I much prefer the international versions (which are the original cut) to the AIP/WRS releases. Not a fan of titra, so the edits they dubbed lose out IMO.

As for Godzilla's Revenge, who wouldn't watch the dubbed version? The Japanese version is just a headache, minus the groovy intro theme and terribad Ryder dub. It's much more painful to watch, but that's what makes it fun.

The Cinema Shares edit of Megalon is pretty wonky. Lots of silly edits here and there, but part of me would rather watch the old VHS tape rather than the MB DVD, for old times sake.

GvMG needs every frame of violence intact, so the Cinema Shares version should be seen only for nostalgia/completion's sake.

The bob conn TOG is a train wreck, so at least it makes the movie a little less dull. Any other version of TOMG is better, critically speaking however.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I will not watch any Godzilla film made after 1984 any other way than in Japanese. I refuse to listen to the terrible dubbing used in the Heisei and Millennium series. Japanese language was the way I was originally introduced to those films and that's the only way I'll watch them.

When it comes to the Showa films, there are a handful I'll watch dubbed for nostalgic reasons (MZ, DAM, Gigan, Terror) but for the most part I prefer to watch those in Japanese too.