Which Do You Prefer: Japanes Originals or US Edits???

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Re: Which Do You Prefer: Japanes Originals or US Edits???

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Once I discovered Japanese, whats a dub again?

Joking aside I only watch dubs upon request from having a friend around or something. Otherwise I'd rather listen to the way they were intended to be heard ( Except G2K )

expandkong
G-Force Personnel

Post by expandkong »

Pretty much always japanese with subs. Cant stand dubs.
Resized Image

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I find it interesting when some people prefer Gigantis over GRA because, in the words of MustafaDaisenso, "it fits in it's B-movie skin." I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all, but it is definitely something new.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

GojiraFanMan
Yojimbo

Post by GojiraFanMan »

I feel like there is more to talk about regarding the US Edit of Godzilla Raids Again. Whether or not that is a good thing, I'll leave up to you guys, ha ha.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

he-ba wrote:I find it interesting when some people prefer Gigantis over GRA because, in the words of MustafaDaisenso, "it fits in it's B-movie skin." I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all, but it is definitely something new.
I can't stand gigantis. Its dialogue is crap, scenes that are suppose to be silent (a scene where japanese war planes fly over the dark city comes to mind, very reminiscent of war time) are dubbed over by crappy narrating. It has stupid scenes about volcano monsters as well. Its biggest offense, IMO, is switching anguirus' and godzilla's roars. That fact alone made me watch the original version.
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

GRA isn't a good movie in any version so I prefer the one that's funniest (Gigantis).

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Ookondru99 wrote: are dubbed over by crappy narrating.
I have to say I do like young George Takei as the narrator of both Rodan and GRA. I find it one of the only pros of GRA, along with Anguirus and Godzilla roaring a LOT more (but alas, they switched Godzilla's roar, so that equals it)

BTW I have never seen the Japanese version of Rodan. Does anybody know where in the world I can find it? I've been looking for years!
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

There's a Classic Media release of Rodan and WotG. It has both versions.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

In the case of King Kong vs Godzilla I'll pick the Japanese cut over Universal's cut any day but with the others usually I watch dubbed in terms of entertainment value Godzilla King of the Monsters is better than Godzilla (1954) (don't sue me), Gigantis is actually more amusing than the extremely bland GRA and its more comfortable in its B movie skin (remember back in the 1950s B movie monster movies were all the rage that teenagers liked to watch)
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I usually watch them in English, unless I just feel like reading. I've seen most of them in their original language though, and if I ever feel like watching the Heisei films again I'm likely to try them in Japanese to see if it helps their quality.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

[quote="Kaiser"]The only Godzilla films that I choose to watch dubbed are: Godzilla Raids Again (because the original cut is pretty bland and boring and the awful Americanization gives it that "so bad, it's good" vibe)...[quote]

Brother!

I haven't seen the Japanese version of all of the Showa series, so I can't speak for all.

But I can say that I prefer the English dubs for everything save Terror of Mechagodzilla and DAM!

I loathe the Tri-Star dubs, though. It's almost as if dubbing an Asian film in such a way that it makes the film more entertaining has become a lost art. Shame.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Kubo wrote:For casual viewing, I usually just stick with the English dub and call it a day. However, when I get in the mood, I love to watch the original Japanese cuts. It all comes down to my mood.
Pretty much this.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

schvanzbass
Interpol Agent

Post by schvanzbass »

GIGAN05 wrote:Once I discovered Japanese, whats a dub again?

Joking aside I only watch dubs upon request from having a friend around or something. Otherwise I'd rather listen to the way they were intended to be heard ( Except G2K )
Exactly how I do it.
I'm gonna start doing horror/sci-fi/kaiju/exploitation film reviews, check it out won't you?

http://www.facebook.com/michaeljayreviews

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

With family or most friends? English.
Friends that prefer Japanese? Japanese.

I prefer subtitled when it comes to films that I was introduced to in subtitles [like the Heisei, Millennium], but for the bulk that I grew up with, a trinity of Mothra vs Godzilla, Megalon and Monster Zero, it's English.

I prefer Gojira over KOTM because I saw the original before the adaptation, but I love some of its elements like Steve Martin that I wish an English version of the French hybrid cut existed. The English version's cutting of the crux of the love triangle [one of the only reasons why Serizawa sacrifices himself at the end] for exposition nixed the emotional impact of his character. And that's not with the cutting of the atomic bomb allegory ,either, or the debate in the Japanese Diet.
Ogata turned from a third wheel in a tragic relationship to the equivalent of Gale in the Hunger Games films. There's no reason why he's even there in KOTM other than that the producers of the American version couldn't digitally delete him from the final product.
There's also that irritating fact that Dr. Yamane's English voice actor sounds like the Droopy dog in Looney Tunes. He just sounded hilarious , not to mention the whole idea of speaking English in a Japanese government presentation got to me after awhile when KOTM established earlier on with civilians shouting in Japanese.
However, the majority of the voice actors dubbing the Japanese cast generally sound like the people they're portraying.

For the rest of the films, I can go either way depending on mood or preference. Gigantis and Raids Again are generally weaker entries, though I prefer the former due to Takei's voice acting. The others would take too long and be suited for a review.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Bigdog wrote:Takei's voice acting.
Takei only voices random people and Ren Yamamoto as the landing craft commander.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Japanese versions, always - I'm most certainly a purist.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

Originals, easy. Although I showed a friend a dubbed one last week because she's a big fan of "so bad it's good" and what better stuff than bad Showa dubbing?
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

gigan72 wrote:
Tamura wrote:GRA isn't a good movie in any version so I prefer the one that's funniest (Gigantis).
>stating your opinion as if it is a fact
What makes my post an exceptional example of this? Not like I'm the only one.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

gigan72 wrote:I'm not saying its an exceptional example, i'm just saying that it IS an example. I personally enjoy GRA quite a bit.
And, I don't really see every post of something like this or am the one to respond all the time, am I?
I'm sorry, but your attitude right now is really putting me off.
Nah man, I'm sorry. My posts were really thoughtless and I apologize.

I wish a copy of the Volcano Monsters screenplay would turn up. That would be interesting to compare to Gigantis and GRA.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I always prefer the Japanese original with subtitles. Even when I was a kid, I always went for the Japanese cuts, because there was more content, and I was (and am) a fast reader, so subtitles didn't bother me.

The only exception is Mothra vs. Godzilla. Why? Well, all of the original scenes from the Japanese cut were there, and they added that kickass scene of the US Navy bombarding Godzilla with cruise missiles to no effect.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST