Seven Samurai - The 160 minute cut

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Seven Samurai - The 160 minute cut

Post by Space Hunter M »

Does the fabled 160 minute version of this film still exist somewhere? It's the cut export edition Toho put up for overseas sale in their 1954 trade catalog that later played in the states as The Magnificent Seven (before being replaced by the 1960 U.S. remake of the same name), and I believe the German theatrical version was also based upon it. I've also heard it played in the majority of Japanese theaters during the theatrical run, the 207 minute version we all know being a premiere/director's cut.

schvanzbass
Interpol Agent

Re: Seven Samurai - The 160 minute cut

Post by schvanzbass »

The only version I've ever seen was the 207 min. cut. I'm not sure if any of the other cuts are commercially available now.
I'm gonna start doing horror/sci-fi/kaiju/exploitation film reviews, check it out won't you?

http://www.facebook.com/michaeljayreviews

ShienoO
Young Farmer

Re: Seven Samurai - The 160 minute cut

Post by ShienoO »

This was a good time to be discovering Seven Samurai (Shichinin no samurai). Heavily cut to 160 minutes for its western release, it had only recently been restored to the full 207 minute version we know today, and this was the print the NFT would be screening.