Monster Discussion #19: Giant Condor

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #19: Giant Condor

Post by edgaguirus »

That's also the condor's weak point. It's just a big bird, while the more popular foes have richer backstories.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

I love that concept ^^^
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If the condor looked like that, that idea might fly.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

that actually doesn't look that bad. AT ALL. now if only they'd try to pull it off...
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:I still am left wonder what kind of screeches that thing was making.
I still am left wondering how much poo is on the ground because Godzilla is being freaking attacked by the GIANT freakin CONDOR!
They should put it in LPG.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Tyler wrote:You now, that scene might not've been so random if a big white turd plopped on Godzilla's shoulder to signal the condor's attack.
What is that? Is it a plane? No it's a bird. No... it's the Giant F*cking Condor! Run!
I haven't seen the movie for many years, but I liked the Condor for some reason.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

That condor was going through some major withdraws, must have thought Godzilla was holding…
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

I was watching Godzilla vs the Sea Monster years ago with my dad, and we got to the scene where the bad guys say "our air force will handle Godzilla". The very next scene in the movie is the Giant Condor showing up, which led my dad to remark "Is that the air force?"

I will always remember this monster with fondness for that reason.

S9y
Monarch Researcher

Post by S9y »

Was it necessary to have the condor in All monsters attack?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

S9y wrote:Was it necessary to have the condor in All monsters attack?
Well, they needed to scrape together as much footage as they could of Godzilla engaging in fights in tropical settings with no other monsters on his side, so, yeah, they couldn't very well just let that sequence go to waste.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

He was really random. He comes out of no where with no set up or hint that he lives on the island before. I think they just threw him in for some more Godzilla action. Did he ever get a name?

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

Godzillian wrote:He was really random. He comes out of no where with no set up or hint that he lives on the island before. I think they just threw him in for some more Godzilla action. Did he ever get a name?
I've always thought it was Ookondoru, or something similar. Don't know if that's official or not, though.
PSN: soilsongs

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I guess it's because this was my first Godzilla movie, but I took offense when I read a book (or review) that referred Godzilla's fight with the condor as being a cheap imitation of the Godzilla/Rodan fight in Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster.

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

H-Man wrote:I guess it's because this was my first Godzilla movie, but I took offense when I read a book (or review) that referred Godzilla's fight with the condor as being a cheap imitation of the Godzilla/Rodan fight in Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster.
I thought it was a neat little special effects scene to serve as filler, myself, but I would have never thought it was trying to imitate that fight. The only similarities are Godzilla and a flying opponent. How do you come to that conclusion?

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

akanes_kiryu wrote:
H-Man wrote:I guess it's because this was my first Godzilla movie, but I took offense when I read a book (or review) that referred Godzilla's fight with the condor as being a cheap imitation of the Godzilla/Rodan fight in Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster.
I thought it was a neat little special effects scene to serve as filler, myself, but I would have never thought it was trying to imitate that fight. The only similarities are Godzilla and a flying opponent. How do you come to that conclusion?
You'd have to ask the author/reviewer in question (I *think* it was Steve Ryfle--I know he accused Godzilla's 10-second skirmish with Mothra in that film of being a cheap imitation of the fight from Godzilla vs. Mothra, as if it were trying to be just that).

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

akanes_kiryu wrote:
Godzillian wrote:He was really random. He comes out of no where with no set up or hint that he lives on the island before. I think they just threw him in for some more Godzilla action. Did he ever get a name?
I've always thought it was Ookondoru, or something similar. Don't know if that's official or not, though.
Yeah, Japanese books refer to him with the same character read as "dai" in "daikaiju," followed by a katakana spelling of the word "condor." The "dai" character can also be pronounced as a long "o" sound, and English-language texts differ on which pronunciation is correct. If I think about it later, I'll send some of my friends who live in Japan Facebook messages to see if they can get any clarification on the matter. (I can just hear my friend Bryan telling is wife, "Oh, Noriko, Baker-san wants us to clarify the pronunciation of the giant condor's name in Nankai no daiketto. She'll think it's ridiculous." Hmmm... I wonder if she still refers to me as "Evan-gelion.")
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

eabaker wrote:Hmmm... I wonder if she still refers to me as "Evan-gelion.")
Hey, that's a pretty fun nickname there! :lol:

On topic, I think there might have been a time when I thought Giant Condor was Rodan, but even then that didn't actually make much sense. Someone drawing comparisons between isn't hard to imagine, though; at the time, Godzilla didn't have many flying opponents, and Giant Condor does look vaguely like Rodan at the speed which the fight takes place.

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

:?
Prior to Ebirah, he had more flying opponents than regular opponents. There was Anguirus, King Kong, Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah. There's more flyers than non-flyers (though admittedly, if you count Mothra as both, it's equal, but still...)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Condor does qualify as his only bird opponent, though. Godzilla has faced insects, reptiles, and mammals, but bird kaiju, in Godzilla or elsewhere, are few and far between. Besides the Condor and Litra, I can't think of any others.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

edgaguirus wrote:The Condor does qualify as his only bird opponent, though. Godzilla has faced insects, reptiles, and mammals, but bird kaiju, in Godzilla or elsewhere, are few and far between. Besides the Condor and Litra, I can't think of any others.
There's a bird kaiju who makes a limited appearance in The Magic Serpent.