Monster Discussion #19: Giant Condor

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #19: Giant Condor

Post by edgaguirus »

It would make great sense. Kong, Ebirah, and the condor are giant animals, so we'd have a theme there.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I actually think Condor's random appearance DOES make him memorable.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla14 wrote:Randomest monster ever...His appearence is so close-up. And forgettable,zilla owns him,fried and put in grease (actually water) and served to ebirah...Man his life is difficult.
Yeah. The condor really got fowl treatment from Toho. All he had was a wing and a prayer, and the Toho filpped him the bird.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

A condor? I thought he was a vulture. He did have one movie and he was in SoG and DAM.

I like him for his spooky look. If you saw one of those flying over your house you'll sh!t.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

What's this? Another necrobump? : o

Anyway, this thing is just "there". Comes in, gets fried, and drowns, all within a minute. Also appeared through stock footage in AMA... Oh wait...
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

There are some that say that somewhere, Giant Condor still lives, plotting his revenge against Godzilla…
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Yeah, the randomness of the Condor does bring it some fame. Still, I doubt we'll ever see it updated for future appearances.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Is it true the prop for the Giant Condor was used to portray a regular sized condor in the film The Adventure of the Taklamakan?

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

Ah, Giant Condor, the Ultimate Kaiju, destroyer of worlds!! He could take any and every kaiju single winged-ly

In all seriousness though, his brief appearance is a goofy one, but pretty memorable, at least for me.
Resized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I love the addition of random "lesser" kaiju in the Toho universe. The giant condor, the giant octopus, the giant sea snake, they make the Tohoverse feel more alive if you ask me.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

I can't really argue with that. I like more giant beasties as generic as some may be.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I love the addition of random "lesser" kaiju in the Toho universe. The giant condor, the giant octopus, the giant sea snake, they make the Tohoverse feel more alive if you ask me.
You neglect to pay homage to their mighty king, Maguma! ;) Truly the King of Lesser Monsters.

But, yeah- I also have affection for pretty much all of these guys- barring maybe the sea snake- precisely because they are fun little world-building bits, and their random nature both hints at a 'what if' direction that might've been chosen for a starring kiaju but wasn't... and also just presents a fun, memorable little cameo. It's the inverse of Boba Fett Syndrome, the Boba Fett Principle- sometimes, when it comes to fan-favorites, less really is more; if nothing else, because it stands out from the over-explained, continually reinvented 'more' that gets done to death with featured characters.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!