Ogata and Emiko's Introduction. Hidden Message?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Ogata and Emiko's Introduction. Hidden Message?

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Okay, I don't know if this warrants it's own thread, so please merge if you feel that it doesn't.

I was just showing a friend the original Gojira, he's gotten kind of interested after the new movie. He noted something that's never really occurred to me. When we first meet Ogata and Emiko, they're at his office, he's toweling off (presumably sweat due to heat) and just has his undershirt and slacks on (again probably because it's hot and it's a rather informal setting). Now my friend immediately thought (and I'll do my best to give this as he put it), "Did he just get out of a shower or something? Were those two… did just get done having sex?" Now I just always assumed that Emiko was at his office because she was paying a social visit/trying to come up with a way to eventually break her arranged marriage to Serizawa. As for the towel, like I said, I just figured it was hot, further evidenced by the fact that at least half of the characters have some kind of a fan and/or handkerchief/towel. Whether the fact that given the social norms at the time the two should be in such a such an informal setting alone together may, in fact, be evidence to my friends theory in and of itself.

So my question is, is my friend just reading way too much into the scene or did he see something I've managed to miss for years on his first go? Did anybody else read that scene as having a deeper implication than what was shown on screen?
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Ogata and Emiko's Introduction. Hidden Message?

Post by edgaguirus »

I doubt your friend's idea. It would be very unlikely for a film of that period.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

A) I don't think that would ever happen in a country full of edicate
B) If it did happen, they they did a horrible job portraying it
C) For a second I was scared that my favorite movie of all time had a s** scene in it, which would have killed it for me
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

To be honest, ever since I first saw the Japanese cut a decade ago I just kind of assumed that's what was going on. I know that probably isn't the case, but it's not difficult for a modern audience to read more into it. They're both young and are introduced as being romantically involved. Hell, from a more ignorant POV, it would seem to be the logical conclusion once it's revealed that Emiko is already engaged. Once Dr. Serizawa is introduced, their romance seems less innocent and more like a rather scandalous love affair.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I too subscribe to the "it's fucking hot" theory. She was paying him a visit, not talking to him after doing the horizontal dance.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

I figured he was reading too much, glad to see I didn't miss some obvious hint for years on end. :lol:
Thanks.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Tyler wrote:Considering Ogata is seen giving Emiko no more than a series of arms' length hugs over the course of the movie, and given Emiko's already awkward relationship with Dr. Serizawa, I have to doubt it. It's not a very romantic love triangle. I kind of like the idea that Emiko and Ogata didn't end up together if Destoroyah is any indication. It wasn't developed well but it seemed more sad and real. Serizawa probably haunted both of them.
I liked that as well about Destroyah. Despite Serizawa's last words, his death would have utterly destroyed the Yamane family and Emiko's relationship with Ogata. I can easily imagine she wanted nothing to do with Ogata after the events of the movie.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

No way.

Honda doesn't do displays of affection between Japanese lovers, even ones explicitly in a relationship. Rarely will you even see hand-holding or kissing in his films. He's a bit or a pre-war conservative in that way. Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski point this out in their Battle in Outer Space commentary. Most scenes of affection are reserved for American or otherwise non-Japanese couples in his films.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

He is thinking to much into man.
he-ba wrote:C) For a second I was scared that my favorite movie of all time had a s** scene in it, which would have killed it for me
how would that have killed it?

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Ugh, I hate s** in movies. It just ruins it. I got really nervous that I would have to sit through it in G2014, but thank God Ford got hte phone call to pick up Joe.

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

ILIKEXENOMORPHS
Yojimbo

Post by ILIKEXENOMORPHS »

I am with he-ba. I will admit it s** is stupid for movies.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

this sounds like the type of thing a fan gets wind of, posts around, and in a week is the new big rumor. no thanks, and i can appreciate your buddy's analytical mind when it comes to film (i do the same thing), but in this case it's a no from "three camp".
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Nothing is implied here and stop acting like its a big deal if there even was a hidden message that they had sex. Sex is normal and perfectly naturally nothing wrong with. Get your minds out of the gutter and take the scene for what it is.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ILIKEXENOMORPHS wrote:I am with he-ba. I will admit it s** is stupid for movies.
Get used to it you two. Sex is going no where and it's only going to get worse in movies. Now what in Destroyer makes you think Emiko and Ogata didn't get together?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

And that's the sad part about this generation.

Anyways, how did you come up with that theory, Tyler? It seems logical, but I don't think that happened. Maybe Ogata died of a heart attack or something years before and Emiko never moved on. Or the government didn't question Ogata a lot and decided his info was useless to show in GvD. Just saying, there are a lot of reasons why Ogata might have not have been seen with Emiko in GvD.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I always figured Ogata just died before she did. Its that uncommon for the husband to die before the wife in a marriage.