Talkback: Gorath (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Talkback: Gorath (1962)

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

According to my fellow Japanese Godzilla-otaku friend, he mentioned that Gorath is still very highly regarded within the Japanese daikaiju/tokusatsu fandom to this day, hence why Gorath itself was incorporated into GFW, and hence Maguma getting his own terrific Xplus 30cm figure a while back.

Overall, if you go into it with an open mind and don't take its premise too seriously, then it's extremely enjoyable and a lot of fun....but for those who tend to get really hung up on the details, they might want to pass...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

The rare US version of the film (that doesn't have the Maguma scene, sadly) is about to air on Comet TV. If you don't have Comet, they're streaming the channel on their website. They'll be showing it again a couple of more times this month too.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I just saw the US version for the first time the other day. As much as I like Maguma, I can see why the scene was deleted. It really adds nothing to the film. Still prefer the Japanese version though. The sound of Gorath itself in the US version is terrible.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Starsteam wrote:The rare US version
It's not even remotely rare. It was released on VHS like six times, and is available to stream via various (legal) streaming sites/apps. It's just not available on a modern home video format.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I wish that it would be released on DVD, with the Maguma scene still in the film and with decent subtitles (yes, I'm looking at you, Arrow Video US!).
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The Maguma scene would still be in the film if the Japanese version was released. It’s only in the US version and its derivatives (such as the German version) that Maguma is removed.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I find it a double standard that the US distributors felt that Magma was too dumb looking, yet literally every other Kaiju got a free pass.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Wellllll... Maguma was in a preview version and was laughed off the screen. Even in the version that was finally released (and is available on video and broadcast on Comet) there’s evidence that those shots had been dubbed and originally in the film.

Also come on, Maguma is far and away the dumbest kaiju in a film up to the point of its release. It has very little bearing on the plot of Gorath, it’s only there so Tanaka would have a monster to exploit in the trailers and posters. It’s not like Manda, or Mogera, two “unnecessary” kaiju that had been incorporated into their respective films much more organically.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Yeah, Maguma as he is in the film, serves no real point. They could have utilized him more as a plot point, but nope. Having said that, I love Maguma regardless.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Exactly. He is pointless, and yet wonderful. :) Clearly audiences in the 1960s were simply not cultured enough to recognize that. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I love Maguma too. I have the super rare X Plus version that I bought for an obscene price. But he is very goofy looking. And one of the worst examples of man in suit in the Toho universe
SpaceG92 wrote:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Wait, we're expected to transliterate Magma as "Maguma" now?

No.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:Wait, we're expected to transliterate Magma as "Maguma" now?

No.
He's always been Maguma...has---hasn't he?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Never heard of him as anything else, in any source. So it's a well-kept secret if he hasn't been.
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:

No.
Nope. And including that "u" is basically the equivalent of writing out "Kingu Kongu" (or "Anguirus" or "Moguera"). They're spelling out a full transliteration of each individual katakana character, but misrepresenting how one of them is pronounced in the context of the full word.

Added in 43 seconds:
Zarm wrote:Never heard of him as anything else, in any source. So it's a well-kept secret if he hasn't been.
Really? I don't think I've ever seen it as anything but Magma outside of this website.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

No.
Nope. And including that "u" is basically the equivalent of writing out "Kingu Kongu" (or "Anguirus" or "Moguera"). They're spelling out a full transliteration of each individual katakana character, but misrepresenting how one of them is pronounced in the context of the full word.

Added in 43 seconds:
Zarm wrote:Never heard of him as anything else, in any source. So it's a well-kept secret if he hasn't been.
Really? I don't think I've ever seen it as anything but Magma outside of this website.
Wow! I've never heard of him ever referred to as "Magma". I've only ever seen Maguma. Learned something new today.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

He's Maguma on the various Wikis, TK profile, and various websites (as evidenced by a google of 'kaiju maguma'). 'Kaiju magma' gets pretty much nothing, except one piece of fan art and one collectible toy in the image results. Like Maritonic, I have never once heard of this reference before today- and as my profile pic indicates, I'm pretty obsessed with the guy. :) So at a guess, the name 'Maguma' is a lot more discussion in web forums.

Then again, you also tend to use the actual Japanese film names, so I'm guessing you frequent more bilingual discussions? It would make sense for people with more of a Japanese language focus to use the Japanese form more frequently in conversations, while the 'official' unofficial name in the U.S. is more commonly-bandied in English-only discussions?

Japanese Film-Fantasy Journal in 1982 does indeed reference 'Magma,' the only English-text reference I've found so far. According to TK's site, "Rarely listed in English, the 2005 publication Godzilla: Toho Monster Picture Book (ISBN: 4092800525) cites the English name of "Maguma" for the kaiju." So presumably, that is where the 'official' English-language name comes from?

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

It think it's less about bilingual discussion, and more about timing. Most of my reading about the Showa era films was in books and magazines published in the 90s, before Toho launched their current line of official Romanized names. It's those versions that tend to dominate modern publications, and especially the net.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I suppose it makes more thematic sense for him to be named "Magma", if we're to consider the global, earth shattering effects of the plot. Even if he's a walrus.
I just think Maguma is more of a kaiju name.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I've always used both Maguma and Magma. I thought it was the Japanese name and the America name.
SpaceG92 wrote: