Talkback: Varan (1958)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
tymon
Futurian

Re: Talkback: Varan (1958)

Post by tymon »

^You can see why I was surprised lol.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

eabaker wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:
eabaker wrote:^I'd rank both King Kong and The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms above a few of those, including Varan.

I find the Japanese version watchable, at times entertaining, but hardly something to passionately aspire to.
I think King Kong outranks all of those TBH…
I don't know that I'd put it above Gojira, but I'd say both of them are pretty much masterpieces.
Yes, both are masterpieces, but Kong is WAY more popular than Gojira.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^....so?
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

tymon wrote:^....so?
What the hell do you mean "so?", I was just saying Kong is the most popular giant monster, that's it. Kong just kinda outranks them all.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'd actually say that Godzilla has a more visible pop culture presence than Kong, and has for quite some time.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I found Daikaiju Varan to be decently enjoyable. Not one of Toho's greats, but still pretty good. Typical 50s monster movie with the Toho flair. I probably wouldn't list it among my favorites, but I do like it.

Varan the Unbelievable was unwatchable for me. Unbearably slow-paced and boring.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

eabaker wrote:I'd actually say that Godzilla has a more visible pop culture presence than Kong, and has for quite some time.
I didn't mean Godzilla in general, I meant the film King Kong compared to Gojira, King Kong is more well known.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

In America, it probably is. In Japan, the film Gojira may outrank Kong. People do tend to support their homegrown stars and characters.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
tymon wrote:^....so?
What the hell do you mean "so?", I was just saying Kong is the most popular giant monster, that's it. Kong just kinda outranks them all.
Again, why is that relevant? We were having a discussion about quality. We all already know that Kong is the most popular.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

tymon wrote:We were having a discussion about quality. We all already know that Kong is the most popular.
Even if we're discussing quality, the original King Kong is mostly considered the superior film, even though not by much. It's also the more influential film as well.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

But, of course, the initial point here was that Kong pretty clearly outranks Varan in both quality and popularity.

I will also add that the, "Scream for your life, Ann!" scene is easily one of the greatest metatextual moments in the history of cinema.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

I wish we got another varan film.
This is the beginning of the end.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Not likely. Varan's best chance is to appear in another Godzilla film.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

^ Pretty much.

He was going to appear in GMK at one point before that being reconsidered. So the attention is there, in a way if that counts.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

We can always hope that Kaneko returns to direct another G-film, and Toho doesn't stop him from using Varan this time. Or that a new director comes along who is a Varan fan. I thought I read somewhere that Toho wants to give directors a little more freedom.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

KaijuFiend wrote:I found Daikaiju Varan to be decently enjoyable. Not one of Toho's greats, but still pretty good. Typical 50s monster movie with the Toho flair. I probably wouldn't list it among my favorites, but I do like it.

Varan the Unbelievable was unwatchable for me. Unbelievably slow-paced and boring.
Fixed.
Last edited by g2vd on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godzilla

djkgoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by djkgoji »

Am I the only one who doesn't hate Varan the Unbelievable?
"Is he strong?" No, not really. He's got radioactive blood, after all.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

djkgoji wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't hate Varan the Unbelievable?
Hey, as far as I'm concerned, it's VARAN THE BELIEVABLE! I'm a believer.

Last edited by ThunderScore on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

djkgoji wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't hate Varan the Unbelievable?
I find Commander James Bradley comical really. He's such a unlikable smug douchebag you can't help but watch him. He's at least more memorable than the stock Toho archetypes portrayed by B players in Giant Monster Varan.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but here is the poster for the presumed lost International dub of the film.
http://s222.photobucket.com/user/Ramses ... r.jpg.html
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.