Gojira back in theaters?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
SoleMan
G-Grasper

Gojira back in theaters?

Post by SoleMan »

I heard the original Japanese cut of my favorite film was going to be in American theaters in honor of the new movie coming out. Is ther already a thread for this? I apologize if there is, but kI really want to talk about it.

I live down in Georgia, and I heard they don't have plans to release it within a reasonable driving distance. Is this subject to change? Is there anyone else who is just out of sight of the film?
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

UltramanGoji

Re: Gojira back in theaters?

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yep. I saw it in NYC at the Film Forum.

It was pretty awesome seeing the original on the big screen. Everyone enjoyed it. There was a big applause when it ended.

They even handed out mini-posters for the new movie afterwards. They're the ones with Godzilla standing in San Fran with his back to the viewer and the Halo Jumpers falling from above.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

UltramanGoji wrote:Yep. I saw it in NYC at the Film Forum.

It was pretty awesome seeing the original on the big screen. Everyone enjoyed it. There was a big applause when it ended.
I also saw it at the New York Film Forum. It was pretty awesome! Sold out crowd too. Seemed like everyone had a lot of fun, and at the very least the friends I convinced to come enjoyed it. ^_^
UltramanGoji wrote:They even handed out mini-posters for the new movie afterwards. They're the ones with Godzilla standing in San Fran with his back to the viewer and the Halo Jumpers falling from above.
WHAT?!! I didn't see any mini-posters!! :shock: :freak:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Pkmatrix wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:They even handed out mini-posters for the new movie afterwards. They're the ones with Godzilla standing in San Fran with his back to the viewer and the Halo Jumpers falling from above.
WHAT?!! I didn't see any mini-posters!! :shock: :freak:
Haha, they were out near the area where that trailer video screen thing was. They were tucked in a corner.

I only knew about it because I asked one of the workers if they had any spare Rialto posters I could buy from them.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I'm so sad! I live in the NYC area and I totally forgot about going!!!!!
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I saw it at the NYC film forum as well! Sadly it seemed like nobody took the film seriously. Yeah, many of the lines and scenes are pretty cheesy but they would laugh everytime Godzilla was on screen.

It was actually kind of sad.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gothicserpent wrote:I saw it at the NYC film forum as well! Sadly it seemed like nobody took the film seriously. Yeah, many of the lines and scenes are pretty cheesy but they would laugh everytime Godzilla was on screen.

That sucks. The only time people in my audience laughed was the old guy on Odo Island threatening to sacrifice the girl to Godzilla scene (understandable, it was kinda funny) and the first time they mentioned the Oxygen Destroyer (reasons unknown, they were teenagers)

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:I saw it at the NYC film forum as well! Sadly it seemed like nobody took the film seriously. Yeah, many of the lines and scenes are pretty cheesy but they would laugh everytime Godzilla was on screen.

That sucks. The only time people in my audience laughed was the old guy on Odo Island threatening to sacrifice the girl to Godzilla scene (understandable, it was kinda funny) and the first time they mentioned the Oxygen Destroyer (reasons unknown, they were teenagers)
Eh, I didn't let it bother me. I developed thicker skin than that. :P

At the showing I went to (7:30 PM Friday, April 18), I recall them laughing a few times throughout the movie. The main points were during the big argument in the Diet and when Godzilla attacks the TV Tower, the former of which is pretty humorous (I think they also laughed at the old man's comment too). They also giggled at the Oxygen Destroyer at first, but got over it. In generally, there were more laughs during the earlier parts of the movie - by towards the end, no one laughed.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Did people clap in your audience?

I went to the earliest Friday showing (1:15 I think?) and there was a large applause after the movie ended. One guy even shouted "Now THAT'S Godzilla!" which everyone laughed at.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Pkmatrix wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:

Eh, I didn't let it bother me. I developed thicker skin than that. :P

At the showing I went to (7:30 PM Friday, April 18), I recall them laughing a few times throughout the movie. The main points were during the big argument in the Diet and when Godzilla attacks the TV Tower, the former of which is pretty humorous (I think they also laughed at the old man's comment too). They also giggled at the Oxygen Destroyer at first, but got over it. In generally, there were more laughs during the earlier parts of the movie - by towards the end, no one laughed.
I went on Saturday the 19th and if I can recall the only parts the audience didn't laugh through were The aftermath of Godzilla's rampage and the scene where Serizawa is convinced to use the Oxygen Destroyer.

Yeah, parts of the film have not aged well and are pretty corny. The dialogue and acting can get pretty over the top at times and some shots of Godzilla look TERRIBLE, but they were literally laughing at everything.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

UltramanGoji wrote:Did people clap in your audience?

I went to the earliest Friday showing (1:15 I think?) and there was a large applause after the movie ended. One guy even shouted "Now THAT'S Godzilla!" which everyone laughed at.
Yep! Lots of applause. It was a sold out show too, they announced it several times and were checking tickets to make sure nobody snuck in (there were a few who tried).
Gothicserpent wrote:I went on Saturday the 19th and if I can recall the only parts the audience didn't laugh through were The aftermath of Godzilla's rampage and the scene where Serizawa is convinced to use the Oxygen Destroyer.

Yeah, parts of the film have not aged well and are pretty corny. The dialogue and acting can get pretty over the top at times and some shots of Godzilla look TERRIBLE, but they were literally laughing at everything.
Eh, as I said: you can't let it bother you. People laughed at things I wouldn't have thought about and DIDN'T laugh at things that I expected them too. Example: nobody laughed at the puppet when Godzilla first appeared, but people laughed when Yamane and Ogata argue just before Godzilla's second raid on Tokyo.

Darth Nightmaricus
Yojimbo

Post by Darth Nightmaricus »

From Wikipedia:
On April 18, 2014, Rialto Pictures re-released the film in another traveling tour style limited release coast to coast across the United States. This was to coincide with not only Godzilla's 60th anniversary, but also in celebration of the upcoming Godzilla movie due to hit theaters in May. To avoid confusion with the Hollywood film, the re-release was subtitled The Japanese Original. The film opened with $10,903 playing in one theater in New York City.

AVERY GUERRA
JXSDF Technician

Post by AVERY GUERRA »

More locations/screenings added!!:

http://www.rialtopictures.com/godzilla.html

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Darth Nightmaricus wrote:From Wikipedia:
On April 18, 2014, Rialto Pictures re-released the film in another traveling tour style limited release coast to coast across the United States. This was to coincide with not only Godzilla's 60th anniversary, but also in celebration of the upcoming Godzilla movie due to hit theaters in May. To avoid confusion with the Hollywood film, the re-release was subtitled The Japanese Original. The film opened with $10,903 playing in one theater in New York City.
That means Godzilla opened at #3 when ranking by theater averages (it got beat out by Fading Gigolo and Space Station 3D). Not bad for a re-release!

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

AVERY GUERRA wrote:More locations/screenings added!!:

Damn, it! My best option is still the other side of the state. But at least it's closer than California now.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

AVERY GUERRA wrote:More locations/screenings added!!:

UGH! I live 30 minutes from NYC but with traffic and just the way NY drivers are, it takes about 1:30! Yonkers is even further if you count the same bullets!
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Blast, the only one in Florida is in the direct opposite part of the state as me!
Resized Image

Lioconvoy
Samurai

Post by Lioconvoy »

Darn it, it was in my area today, and I didn't even know.