Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Post by 20th Century Boy »

This is one of my favorites of the era. Not just the early Toho sci-fi era, but also the entire "golden age" of 50's sci-fi era. Lots of explosions and epic music. The Moguera scene was also pretty neat.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Rody wrote:Mogera was pretty funny though.
He was, I really enjoy his "participation" in the climax, where he takes out a cannon only for it fall and crush him.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ I laughed out loud at that scene.

...And then there was that tank in the first battle which keeps avoiding the laser blasts only to get sucked down a seemingly random hole in the ground. :?: :lol:

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

This one has to be seen on the big screen in restored color in order to be fully appreciated, and I was lucky enough to see it that way once, at a Toho films revival in Japan.

It doesn't chill the viewer the way George Pal's War of the Worlds did, but then, it wasn't meant to. The Mysterians has a style all its own. My guess is, it absolutely blew away both children and adults in 1957 Japanese theaters.

Between the spectacular visuals involving the super-weapons (can't think of another film, offhand, that so perfectly delivers a sense of 'larger than life'... I mean, the Markelites alone are worth the price of admission) and Ifukube's breathtaking score (not just the unforgettable battle theme, but a lot of other moments, including that hair-raising version of the Main Title/Mogera's theme as the officials inspect the ruined village), The Mysterians is, IMO, an amazing accomplishment for '50s space opera.
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

DoctorMafune wrote:My guess is, it absolutely blew away both children and adults in 1957 Japanese theaters.
And, hey, it had enough impact stateside to inspire the name of a popular band.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

one of my favorite toho films. the battle theme is so catchy. i have to say that i like this movie more then alot of godzilla movies.
maybe weird to say as a godzilla fan but oh well. i acctually became interested in this movie because i got the revoltech moguera 57.
i don't really remember the human characters but the mysterians are in my opinion one of the best toho alien (after the people of planet X) I acctually want to see them return not that it will ever happen.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

eggcheese
Yojimbo

Post by eggcheese »

"The Mysterians! THE MYSTERIANS!!!!"
"Oh no, they're getting pissed off!"

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

eggcheese wrote:"The Mysterians! THE MYSTERIANS!!!!"
"THE GREATEST SCIENCE FICTION PICTURE MAN'S IMAGINATION EVER CONCEIVED!"

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

"LOVE HUNGRY SPACEMEN COME TO SEIZE OUR WOMEN THAT THEIR DRYING RACE MAY LIVE!!!"
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

There are some intriguing elements to the movie, although there are other 1950s Toho special effects films that were stronger. I liked the human stories in Godzilla, Rodan, and H-Man more for example. However, the aliens themselves and their plans were a bit unique compared to movies such as War of the Worlds (1953) that come from the 1950s or 1960s.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

pikmintaro
G-Force Personnel

Post by pikmintaro »

Well I just saw the movie for the first time a couple days ago, I enjoyed it, but on the other hand I'm at the point where after seeing so many Toho movies and stuff that I can't really think too positively or negatively of it, I can't even remember that much about the movie, there were a few moments that stood out in my mind, but that's about it, I did like the outfits the Mysterians had though.
Maybe if I had seen it before seeing all of Toho's other alien/space movies I would have a higher opinion of it I'm sure when it first came out it was amazing.

Also I much prefer the Heisei Mougera even over the Heisei version of MechaGodzilla, The Mysterians Mogera unfortunately didn't do a whole lot, the scenes the first one had were pretty good, but I think they destroyed it too soon, and the second one was just laughable and I'm assuming it crushed itself with the ray dish thing it was trying to topple, I would have preferred if the Mysterians had used them a lot more throughout the movie, I know they were a last minute addition though, but it was still annoying to me.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

Am I the only one who enjoys the theme playing at the main menu of media blasters DVD?
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I got half way through it before deciding to go to bed since I was getting a head ache and was pretty tired. I've been meaning to rewatch it all the way through though. From what I say it was really good.

Gamera vs Rodan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gamera vs Rodan »

I liked this one a lot, I just wish there was more stuff with the giant weird-looking robot things.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Watching the old RKO/MGM version. Yay! The Mysterian leader sounds badass like he actually should! Way to go proto-Titra/Titan people!

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Yeah, always was a fan of this one (I showed it to my class when I was in the 5th grade). Lots of special FX on display and a giant robot, plus a cool score by Ifukube. I liked Akihiko Hirata's final message that using science for evil will eventually come back and bite you in the a**. Plus it has Yumi Shirakawa, which is always a plus.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Kinda irrelevant, but did anyone from here catch my stream of the RKO dub today?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

The Mysterians is another one I've yet to see...
But from what I hear, the Mogera is just pitiful in action. It sucks that there's no videos on Youtube with Mogera REALLY in action, I kinda wanna see just how sad this thing is if it's fucked by falling over.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Actually, I thought Mogera was pretty badass in this. The movie's not one of my favorites, but Mogera is one of the best parts about it. (Also, the soundtrack. This soundrack is awesome!)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The non Mogeura scenes were entertaining, I liked all the lasers and some fighting.

I remember there was a really cool scene early on where someone is taking a bath and she sees Moguera outside, I thought that was really creepy.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.