Shinichi Sekizawa

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: Shinichi Sekizawa

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Sekizawa is a damn good writer and he made some of my favorite kaiju eiga really entertaining with his characters. He lacks the cynicism of Takeshi Kimura, but I honestly don't care. My outlook on life is generally more positive and fun-loving nowadays, so I have a natural attraction to Sekizawa's stuff.

Fun fact: he also co-wrote the first episode of Ultraman.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

This was a great blog entry. Sekizawa is the man. While my favorite G-film is still, and will likely always be, my favorite entry of the series, Sekizawa's writing credits include my next several favorites and introduce a number of elements of the series I hold very dear -- chief among them his approach to human-monster interaction, monsters as characters, and the conveyance of simple socio-political metaphors within goofy and energetic plots. "Without undermining," was a great choice of words by Kalat there.

His approach to women characters is also nothing to scoff at, especially for the time period. Much as I love the original, Emiko is something of a weak character; it's wholly because of Sekizawa's scripts that I associate the Showa series as a whole with strong female leads. His approach to both metaphor and character types have been sorely missed in recent entries, with later series featuring far more films with incomprehensible or irrelevant messages or focusing soley on action, and with the preponderance of military ciphers as protagonists in later films, something the series has suffered for.

The series was lucky to have him as a writer, and his affection for the material really does shine through.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

He's the best screenwriter of all time in my book

I loved all of his movies, and most will go down in history as classics. It's just sad all of the fathers of Godzilla have passed.....
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Kalat's always been right, Sekizawa was a genius. I love all of the films from Kong to Son of Godzilla about equally, and his scripts definitely play a part in that. The characters and situations he created were always memorable.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Just read the article. Shame he doesn't get as much recognition as Honda, Tsuburaya, Ifukube, etc. He's (almost) as much a part of these films success as they were.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

wow. wish i could thank this man. he's the reason that today i have come to appreciate and better love all of these movies. it's all a result of growing up on the films he wrote. awesome.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

He definitely deserves more recognition. Great Writer.